Configuring and calibrating EMC

More
21 Feb 2012 14:55 #17916 by andypugh
Mofosheee wrote:

Opening smc2/configs/V90, I did not find a emc.nml file to delete
In emc2/configs/V90/V90.ini I did not find the "NML_FILE = emc.nml" to delete

In that case the contents of the directory are those that were created by your stepconf run. You (presumably) have not actually extracted the zip file yet.

It should be very easy, you click the link on the web page, it askes if you want to open with Archive Manager, you say "yes" then extract the files into the config directory (over-writing the existing).

However, if you already have a V90.ini, then why not use that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2012 15:02 #17917 by Mofosheee
Walla.............There is a God !!!!!

You guys are great, thanks for all

xoxoxox
Jerry

More
21 Feb 2012 23:06 #17924 by Mofosheee
One last question.................................... well maybe

Updating / upgrading and saving my configuration to disc. Can I save to a thumb drive by copy and paste and what specific file please.

Am I correct to understand that since the NML_FILE = emc.nml was removed I have the most current version of EMC 2.4?

Should I ignore if a wiindow pops up giving me the option to update or upgrade to another version of Ubuntu?

All examples work, but when I toggle the "x" axis, the "y" axis moves and when I toggle the "y" axis, the x axis moves yet the screen is correct. Suggestions?

"z" axis was traveling in the opposite direction so I ntered stepconfig wizard and changed direction. Went thru the meun and selected apply. These settings were not retained when I restarted the program and the z axis was reversed again. Please advise. Thanks again

More
22 Feb 2012 00:16 #17925 by BigJohnT
If your running 2.4.7 that is the most current version.

You can't edit a config you downloaded from the net with the Stepconf Wizard only a configuration generated by Stepconf Wizard... you will have to manually edit the ini file and change the sign of the Z axis and swap the X and Y axis outputs. If you feel overwhelmed by that task attach your ini file to a message and I will tell you what to change. Does this drive just use a parallel cable to attach from the PC to the driver board?

John

More
22 Feb 2012 01:19 - 22 Feb 2012 01:36 #17926 by Mofosheee
John

The file is attached. Please educate me.

And yes this drive uses a parallel port from PC to driver board. And my latency test indicates 23400 with music playing off the dvd drive

Thank you.

Jerry

File Attachment:

File Name: V90.ini
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2012 01:36 by Mofosheee.

More
22 Feb 2012 10:39 #17928 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

You can't edit a config you downloaded from the net with the Stepconf Wizard

That's not strictly true in this case. The downloaded config includes the Stepconf data file.

However, I am not at all sure what config he is currently running. The config from probotix still included the nml line in the ini when I downloaded it yesterday, (though I got an acknowledgement from probotix last night for the updated config I sent them)

I suspect that Jerry is actually using the config that he created himself with Stepconf.

More
22 Feb 2012 10:47 #17929 by andypugh
Mofosheee wrote:

Updating / upgrading and saving my configuration to disc. Can I save to a thumb drive by copy and paste and what specific file please.

If you want to back-up a config, then you should copy the whole config directory and stepconf file for the config. In this case that would be the V90.stepconf file and the V90 directory where the V90.ini lives.

Am I correct to understand that since the NML_FILE = emc.nml was removed I have the most current version of EMC 2.4?

No, as that INI file line was removed during the transition from 2.3 to 2.4, so you could have any version of 2.4. The splash-screen at startup tells you the exact version.

Should I ignore if a wiindow pops up giving me the option to update or upgrade to another version of Ubuntu?

You should update most things when prompted (including Emc2/ LinuxCNC) but you must not take up the option to upgrade the _version_ of Ubuntu. You should take the update and security options though.

All examples work, but when I toggle the "x" axis, the "y" axis moves and when I toggle the "y" axis, the x axis moves /quote]
You can change that using Stepconf, or manually editing the HAL file, or swapping the wires to the stepper drives, or swapping which stepper drive the motors connect to. Any even number of swaps will leave things unchanged :-)

Went thru the meun and selected apply. These settings were not retained when I restarted the program and the z axis was reversed again. Please advise. Thanks again[/quote]

That seems odd. I rather suspect that you have mutliple configs now, and you were not editing the config you thought you were editing.

What do you see in your ~/emc2/configs/ directory at the moment?

More
22 Feb 2012 11:33 #17931 by Rick G

You can change that using Stepconf, or manually editing the HAL file, or swapping the wires to the stepper drives, or swapping which stepper drive the motors connect to

It might be a good idea to point out do NOT disconnect or swap any wires while the power is applied.

I rather suspect that you have mutliple configs now, and you were not editing the config you thought you were editing.

This seems very likely, if not sure make a change and look for results, if none are found search the file locations and select another file to edit.
You could also do a search for the file...
Places
Search
and see how many copies you have and where they are.

Rick G

More
22 Feb 2012 12:31 #17934 by BigJohnT
Ok, for the Z axis change the SCALE for axis 2 (the Z axis) from 4800.0 to -4800.0.

Attach your .hal file and I'll explain what to change in that to swap the X and Y axis.

John

More
22 Feb 2012 21:35 #17948 by Mofosheee
John

attached is the .hal file that you suggested that I send

Thank you

Jerry

File Attachment:

File Name: V90.hal
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds