ISO install of LinuxCNC on Debian 8 & Mint LMDE 2

More
07 Mar 2016 02:05 #71133 by tjmarch
jtc wrote

when I tried to install linuxcnc on LMDE2 using the iso, I'm only able to install the kernel

I installed linuxcnc on newly installed system on 32 bit and 64 bit could not recreate your errors installed on 32 bit and 64 bit Preempt-RT then did the same thing installing as sim.Then on 32 bit installing Rtai and linuxcnc then fresh install of OS and Preempt-RT and linuxcnc. If you want to install sim on 32 bit you must answer no to both kernel installs Preempt-RT and Rtai.
You must also do this all as super user when first opening terminal do

sudo su -
The following user(s) said Thank You: fast1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2016 20:55 #71186 by jtc

jtc wrote

when I tried to install linuxcnc on LMDE2 using the iso, I'm only able to install the kernel

I installed linuxcnc on newly installed system on 32 bit and 64 bit could not recreate your errors installed on 32 bit and 64 bit Preempt-RT then did the same thing installing as sim.Then on 32 bit installing Rtai and linuxcnc then fresh install of OS and Preempt-RT and linuxcnc. If you want to install sim on 32 bit you must answer no to both kernel installs Preempt-RT and Rtai.
You must also do this all as super user when first opening terminal do

sudo su -

that was a "repository" problem and nothing to do with your tutorial. next day someone complains that cant download this files on the emc-developers mail list...

lather I installed LMDE2 with 32bit kernel and everything works fine :)

More
19 Mar 2016 03:39 #71890 by blacksmith99
tjmarch,

Thanks for the ISO, it works well.

A question, will this install update to 2.7.4 at some point?

Thanks,

blacksmith99

More
26 Mar 2016 21:45 #72196 by fast1
Tim:

Thanks for the iso. It has solved a ton of problems
for me. I truly appreciate your work.

Fayette

More
27 Mar 2016 15:41 #72214 by cncnoob1979
newbynobi,

I am updating my machine to a faster motherboard and processor. I have installed Mint LMDE 2. I still have not found a replacement to edit my glade panels. From what I have read the highest revision of glade that will edit the panel is 3.8.0.

What are you using to edit and create your panels? I do have the source of 3.8.5, however it is Glade 3 as your prior suggestion.

Did you get glade 2 working on Debian Jessie? What was your solution?

More
27 Mar 2016 15:53 #72216 by cncbasher
as far as i am aware you cannot use glade 3 , so you'll need to install glade 2 for the linuxcnc widgets to be used .
this is a common problem at the moment , as far as i know

More
27 Mar 2016 18:16 #72220 by cncnoob1979
cncbasher,

I just tired to get all the dependencies installed for Glade 2. Needless to say - I got to into dependency H*** about 4 hours worth.

Looks like i'm going back to Wheezy. My main goal would be to use the highest operating system and still be able to update via the build bot .. and use glade 2 for editing panels. So far the only contender will be Wheezy at the moment. Unless someone else has a suggestion. I love Linux Mint.. I hate wheezy...

More
27 Mar 2016 19:00 #72221 by newbynobi
@cncnoob1979

I have glade-gtk2 running fine on Jessie!

Here are the sources:

Glade3-gtk2 Source

Use Glade3-3.8.5 as all lower releases are buggy.

After installing you have to start glade with the command glade-gtk2, otherwise the standard glade will start.

Here is a very good tutorial in Spanish, I followed that one.

If you need the GladeVCP widgets, you will have to copy them from the link mentioned on that page.

Good luck.

Norbert

More
28 Mar 2016 00:29 #72229 by islander261
well I tried to get glade as described above but things must not have worked out right. when I thought I was finished with install I tried this:
jd@plasma1 ~ $ glade-gtk2
glade-gtk2: command not found

so then I tried the test from the tut:
jd@plasma1 ~ $ glade-3

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-CRITICAL **: Unable to load module 'gladegnome' from any search paths

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not find glade_gtk_widget_depends in /usr/local/lib/glade3/modules/libgladegtk.so or in global namespace

GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkToolPalette::icon-size
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkToolItemGroup::ellipsize
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkToolItemGroup::header-relief

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not find glade_gtk_entry_depends in /usr/local/lib/glade3/modules/libgladegtk.so or in global namespace

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not find glade_gtk_size_group_depends in /usr/local/lib/glade3/modules/libgladegtk.so or in global namespace

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not find glade_gtk_treeview_depends in /usr/local/lib/glade3/modules/libgladegtk.so or in global namespace

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-CRITICAL **: Unable to load module 'gladegnome' from any search paths

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load external library 'gladegnome'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_app_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeApp"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeApp'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_druid_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeDruid"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeDruid'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_druid_page_edge_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeDruidPageEdge"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeDruidPageEdge'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_druid_page_standard_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeDruidPageStandard"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeDruidPageStandard'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_icon_selection_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeIconSelection"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeIconSelection'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_icon_entry_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeIconEntry"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeIconEntry'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_href_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeHRef"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeHRef'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_date_edit_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeDateEdit"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeDateEdit'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_app_bar_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeAppBar"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeAppBar'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_dialog_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeDialog"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeDialog'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_about_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeAbout"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeAbout'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_message_box_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeMessageBox"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeMessageBox'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_property_box_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomePropertyBox"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomePropertyBox'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_entry_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeEntry"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeEntry'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_file_entry_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeFileEntry"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeFileEntry'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_pixmap_entry_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomePixmapEntry"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomePixmapEntry'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_color_picker_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeColorPicker"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeColorPicker'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_font_picker_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeFontPicker"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeFontPicker'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_pixmap_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomePixmap"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomePixmap'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeApp' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeDruid' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeIconSelection' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeHRef' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeDateEdit' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeIconEntry' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeAppBar' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeDialog' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeAbout' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeMessageBox' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomePropertyBox' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeEntry' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeFileEntry' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomePixmapEntry' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeColorPicker' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeFontPicker' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomePixmap' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-CRITICAL **: Unable to load module 'gtksourceview-2.0' from any search paths

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load external library 'gtksourceview-2.0'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load external library 'gladegnome'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "bonobo_dock_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "BonoboDock"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'BonoboDock'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "bonobo_dock_item_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "BonoboDockItem"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'BonoboDockItem'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_canvas_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeCanvas"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeCanvas'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: We could not find the symbol "gnome_icon_list_get_type"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Could not get the type from "GnomeIconList"

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Failed to load the GType for 'GnomeIconList'

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeCanvas' in a widget group

(glade-3:21981): GladeUI-WARNING **: Tried to include undefined widget class 'GnomeIconList' in a widget group
GladeUI-Message: Glade needs artwork; a default icon will be used for the following classes:
	HAL_CheckButton	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_checkbutton'
	EMC_FileChooserButton	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-vcp_filechooserbutton'
	HAL_Button	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_button'
	EMC_FileChooserDialog	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-vcp_filechooserdialog'
	HAL_HBox	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_hbox'
	HAL_Graph	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_graph'
	HAL_RadioButton	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_radiobutton'
	HAL_HScale	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_hscale'
	HAL_GremlinPlus	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_gremlin_plus'
	HAL_ToggleButton	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_togglebutton'
	GtkSourceView	needs an icon named 'widget-gtksourceview-gtksourceview'
	OffsetPage	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-offsetpage'
	HAL_ProgressBar	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_progressbar'
	PyNgcGui	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-pyngcgui'
	HAL_Label	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_label'
	EMC_SourceView	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-vcp_sourceview'
	HAL_ComboBox	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_combobox'
	EMC_MDIHistory	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-vcp_mdihistory'
	HAL_SpinButton	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_spinbutton'
	HALIO_HScale	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-halio_hscale'
	HAL_VScale	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_vscale'
	HAL_Table	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_table'
	State_Sensitive_Table	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-state_sensitive_table'
	HAL_HideTable	needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_hidetable'

Wow, that's a pile off errors but glade did open in it's own window. I will start looking for the problem but will appreciate any hints on where to look.

John

More
28 Mar 2016 03:29 - 28 Mar 2016 15:50 #72230 by cncnoob1979
Hey! Islander261 and newbynobi,

Here is the contents of my usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gladeui-1.0.pc
prefix=/usr/local
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
datarootdir=${prefix}/share
datadir=${datarootdir}
includedir=${prefix}/include/libgladeui-1.0
catalogdir=${datarootdir}/glade3/catalogs
pixmapdir=${datarootdir}/glade3/pixmaps
moduledir=${exec_prefix}/lib/glade3/modules

Name: Glade
Description: Glade interface designer library
URL: http://glade.gnome.org
Version: 3.8.5
Requires: gtk+-2.0 >= 2.14.0 libxml-2.0 >= 2.4.0
Libs: -L${libdir} -lgladeui-1
Cflags: -I${includedir}

I believe this is the config of the program. I checked it and seems that I have the exact same error as islander does.

Perhaps you have something different? Im running LMDE 2 now... just reinstalled.

Seems to me that we don't have the libs for the HAL containers..

newbynobi,
can you please tell me what files you have under your /usr/local/lib/glade3/modules/ folder? I have a total of 4 files in that directory.

I followed the install direction on that website exactly...

EDIT: newbynobi, Did you install [move the downloaded hal widgets] on a fresh install of glade?

EDIT: I am currently reading the Manual here:
developer.gnome.org/gladeui/3.8/index.html

Hopefully I can figure this out...looks like we are just missing something.... it finds the components as you can see in the error message.

The Glade palette and other components use icons to represent the various widget classes. It is a good idea to provide icons for your widget classes, as this enhances the user interface.

Glade uses the GTK+ GtkIconTheme facility to provide icons for widget classes. Any icon available in the current icon theme can be used as an icon for a widget class.

By default, an icon name of the format "widget-CATALOG_NAME-GENERIC_NAME" is assigned to every widget class. CATALOG_NAME is the value of catalog name attribute, and GENERIC_NAME is the value of an widget class's generic name attribute.

To explicity set an icon name for a widget class, the "icon-name" attribute of the "glade-widget-class" element can be specified. This will override the default icon name assigned to the widget class.

Icon files can be installed under any system icon theme folder.

Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 15:50 by cncnoob1979.

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds