ISO install of LinuxCNC on Debian 8 & Mint LMDE 2

More
30 Apr 2016 12:33 #74083 by cncbasher
yes as Andy says it installs buildbot.linuxcnc.org / jessie / 2.7 rt-preempt
looking at the script ,
in the case of uspace :

sudo sed -i -e 's/deb http\:\/\/buildbot.linuxcnc.org\/ jessie 2.7-rtpreempt/#deb http\:\/\/buildbot.linuxcnc.org\/ jessie 2.7-rtpreempt/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list
sudo sed -i -e 's/deb-src http\:\/\/buildbot.linuxcnc.org\/ jessie 2.7-rtpreempt/#deb-src http\:\/\/buildbot.linuxcnc.org\/ jessie 2.7-rtpreempt/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list
sudo echo "deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie 2.7-rtpreempt" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list
sudo echo "deb-src buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie 2.7-rtpreempt" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list
adds to your sources linuxcnc.list

in the case of RTAI it pulls the kernels from the iso
internal directorys build32 or build64 ,
or buildbot for x32
although i'd add the applicable buildbot to suit , i feel is a better way
The following user(s) said Thank You: tjmarch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2016 12:44 #74085 by Amedee

I'm running:

Linux cnc 3.18.13-rt10mah+ #3 SMP PREEMPT RT Sat Jun 20 00:51:55 CEST 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I need to take back what I said...
This is Michael Haberler's kernel and it is compiled with
# CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION is not set

So you won't be able to run 32 bits executable with this kernel.

More
02 May 2016 11:46 #74131 by hatch789
OK So it sound like teamviewer is off the table for this kernel. Since it won't install the 64-bit kernel due to missing libraries and it won't work with the multiarch 32-bit binaries because CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION is not set. Therefore I'll find another means of sharing my screen when needed. Something like VNC should be OK.

AndyPugh would you have some time to work with me on my resolver(s) issue I'm having? I'll send you a private message.

More
02 May 2016 12:04 #74133 by andypugh

This is Michael Haberler's kernel.

It is becoming increasingly frustrating to find ourselves answering questions with LinuxCNC anwers only to later find out that the question is about Machinekit.

More
02 May 2016 12:05 #74134 by andypugh
[quote="hatch789" post=74131AndyPugh would you have some time to work with me on my resolver(s) issue I'm having?[/quote]

I can try.

More
02 May 2016 12:18 #74137 by cncbasher

I'm running:

Linux cnc 3.18.13-rt10mah+ #3 SMP PREEMPT RT Sat Jun 20 00:51:55 CEST 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I need to take back what I said...
This is Michael Haberler's kernel and it is compiled with
# CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION is not set

So you won't be able to run 32 bits executable with this kernel.

what a load of baloney ! , just because it's someone elses Kernel does not make it inferior
and this has nothing what so ever to do with Machinekit in any shape or form ..
Presuming yet again ...
i'm off time i left

More
02 May 2016 12:29 #74138 by Amedee
Mmmmmh....

I haven't criticized anything here. I am just trying to help and I gave an answer in context. hatch789 said he was running that particular kernel, so I took time to locate it, checked the compile parameter and came to that conclusion.

I haven't checked any other kernel, so it was worth mentioning that my answer only applies to that kernel...

More
03 May 2016 01:39 #74153 by tjmarch
If you look at my original post when I made ISO available I gave a link to where I found RT kernels. I had no idea who compiled it, and I don't care as long as it works for LCNC.

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...2?limitstart=0#68341

Tim March
PS Thank you cncbasher for answering question about repository, I have been out of the loop for a bit

More
03 May 2016 02:41 - 03 May 2016 03:17 #74154 by tjmarch
Hello Hatch789 who wrote

AndyPugh would you have some time to work with me on my resolver(s) issue I'm having?

I am assuming you would like help with a VNC server

I am doing just that with a BananaPi and a RaspberryPI with a Android tablet using the tablet for a screen over USB tether, but you could share with anyone who has access to your network.

1. Install x11vnc using
sudo apt-get install x11vnc

2. Set password using
x11vnc -storepasswd

Note: You could also run the x11vnc server without password,but I do not recommend because anyone could see your screen if they know your IP.

3.Run the x11vnc server typing:
x11vnc -forever -display :0
You should see your local ip address you will need to connect to your other desktop remotely from your network. Keep in memory this IP address. Also if you right click on the applet for your network connection in the upper right corner of your desktop. Then choose information about your network connection you will find your IP.

If you want your server to auto start at boot do the following

4. Edit a sh script in any directory, for example in /home/<username>, let's call it startVnc.sh. To do that, use for example text editor: right button-->create New --> Blank file and edit:

#! /bin/sh
x11vnc -forever -display :0

Save it as startVnc.sh
and make it executable: right click --> file properties --> Permissions Tab-->check box to make executable

4.As Root go to the directory /etc/xdg/autostart in open area of /etc/xdg/autostart window (right click-->create New --> Blank file..):
5. Edit text file to contain the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=VNCAutostart
Exec=/home/<username>/startVnc.sh
Type=Application
Terminal=true

Save as

VNCAutostart.desktop

Make executable (richt click on file-->properties-->Permissions tab--> check box to make executable

On other desktop that you want to share your desktop with install VNC client. Most are straight forward to setup basicly you enter IP for VNC server and password to access VNC server.

Some choices if sharing desktop with a Android tablet I use:
bVNC Viewer on the tablet, Very basic and simple to use.

For a windose or Linux machine you could try TightVNC which also has a client for Android. I have not tried this one but looks very good.

And if you want to call it teamview as machinekit dose buy all means go ahead. LOL

Tim March
PS If you want to share to a Android tablet instructions would be slightly different and if that is your intent let me know and I will explain.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 03:17 by tjmarch.

More
03 May 2016 07:56 - 03 May 2016 07:57 #74161 by Amedee
Keep in mind that VNC is not a secure protocol.

If you use it on your local LAN it is fine, but do not expose it directly to Internet. If the purpose is to allow connection from Internet you should do one of the following;
- Only start it when you need it (convenient for remote support, not really for unattended connections); use the -accept option to get prompted when someone tries to connect.
- Start x11vnc with the '-listen localhost' option and connect through ssh tunneling (vncviewer -via) (recommended approach)
- Setup a VPN to access you lan
Last edit: 03 May 2016 07:57 by Amedee.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds