Good bye to Ubuntu 10.04

More
08 Aug 2016 06:31 #78479 by Zig
Good bye to Ubuntu 10.04 was created by Zig
Just tripped over a comment suggesting to say good bye to Ubuntu10.04 due to new software upgrades.

The current choices seem to be a a flavor of Debian or Ubuntu 12.04.

Any recommendations and gotchas with respect to either option? Life expectancy of either installation?

Much obliged.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2016 08:14 - 08 Aug 2016 08:43 #78481 by eFalegname
Replied by eFalegname on topic Good bye to Ubuntu 10.04
I said goodbye to Ubuntu 10.04 and although I have installed Linuxcnc on Linuxmint mate (following the JohnT's instructions), that according to my modest opinion is 100 times better than Debian, still miss Ubuntu since I can not update to the latest version 2.7.6 yet... :sick:

Note: I speak from my ignorance but I think it was a mistake to pass the development of LinuxCNC to the Debian platform, a mistake that discourages all new users and beyond. I'm kindly asking to the LinuxCNC programming team please adopt an user-friendly distro
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 08:43 by eFalegname.

More
08 Aug 2016 11:51 #78485 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Good bye to Ubuntu 10.04
Just my 2 cents,
LinuxMint is awesome in every way you look at it and i have it on at least 5or 6 of my laptops and desktops, but it is on the slugish side even on the core i5 @ 3.2GHz with Nvidia graphic, while debian wheezy runs very usably on an AMD Geode 1 GHz procesor with 512MB ram.
Then again, Ubuntu 10.04 was (sigh) built like a tank, it never broke, it never complained, and things just worked. It was extremely reliable as far as software goes. I still use it on several laptops and desktops ( don't ask me how many computers i have, there must be over 20 just in my workshop).
So i choose the distro based on the task at hand and move on. All of them work, and all of them will get the job done properly.
Regards,
Tom

More
08 Aug 2016 19:21 #78500 by kornphlake79
I have been using Linux for some time now and never understood what makes Ubuntu so highly recommended. I first explored Linux in depth using Ubuntu 8.04, because the community support was so much better than other distros but never could get used to the unity interface in 10.04 and eventually settled on Mint mostly because it uses APT which I was familiar with in Ubuntu, and the gui was more pleasing to me than unity, switching to the Debian wheezy distro for LinuxCNC was pretty painless, although the gui is not as pretty as mint I have found everything else adequate, as well as any of the other distros that use the Debian based repos.the biggest difference I can find is in the display manager. What is it about Ubuntu or Mint that people love so much that Debian is missing? Other display managers can be installed in Debian.

More
08 Aug 2016 19:47 #78501 by tommylight
10.04 does not use unity ( i personally hate unity ), later versions do. Debian is the ultimate Linux for a lot of Linux users ( i mena A LOT ), as it is stable and quick and works without issues for years and years ( something no Windoze known to man can do ), but it is more demanding for beginers as they have to learn to deal with sources and dependencies etc.
The best thing with Linux by far is that you can find a distro fitting your needs always, just search for it.
Regards,
Tom

More
09 Aug 2016 00:23 - 09 Aug 2016 01:17 #78508 by kornphlake79
Right 10.04 moved the window minimize maximize and close buttons to the left side of the window, otherwise it was fairly similar to previous versions of Linux. It's only been 6 years I can't believe I forgot that unity was later.

At any rate, why are so many people afraid Debian isn't enough like ubuntu or mint? From the command line they are nearly identical. Other differences are cosmetic for the most part, Debian is only marginally more difficult to learn to use. I think those who haven't used Debian are afraid of it because they heard it was difficult to use from someone who had never used either Debian or Ubuntu
Last edit: 09 Aug 2016 01:17 by kornphlake79.

More
09 Aug 2016 03:18 #78510 by mozmck
Replied by mozmck on topic Good bye to Ubuntu 10.04
I used debian for many years, and Ubuntu was definitely easier to setup and maintain. Hardware support was/is much better in *buntu and Mint, and the everything generally works out of the box. I find Mint to be better setup than ubuntu (I can't stand Unity either), and is what I use now for my main desktop.
The command line is what most normal users would like to avoid if possible. Even as a pretty savvy linux user for 18+ years now, I have to look up options to all kinds of command line tools when I use them because I am not a system admin and don't do that stuff every day.
Debian still seems to be targeted toward the system admin level instead of normal users - and I think this is why normal users like ubuntu and mint better.
Cradek put quite a bit of work into the linuxcnc wheezy livecd to make it simpler to install and to have a better default setup, but part of the problem with wheezy is it's age. XFCE has some nice improvements since the version in wheezy.

More
09 Aug 2016 04:32 #78511 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Good bye to Ubuntu 10.04
Debian has the paper cut problem. Things mostly work but little broken things are super annoying.
Also the default program package are different then what Ubuntu used and are often very old versions.
These things really matter to first time users and actually matter to a long time user like me too.
As a Dev I dislike linuxcnc changing distributions because it often changes what programs and versions you can assume are available.

Unfortunately Ubuntu has placed restrictions on how we are allowed to re-distribute Ubuntu's package that are neither clear nor easy. (Ubuntu's Brand must be removed?)
I am not sure if Mint has the same restrictions.

I am really not impressed with Debian as linuxcnc's base but I surely don't have the skill to offer an option.
I would pick Mint - they seem to still understand what a desktop computer should be.
my 2 cents :)

Chris M

More
08 Nov 2016 17:40 #82596 by bkt
Replied by bkt on topic Good bye to Ubuntu 10.04
I Have just try wheezy and precise on same 2pc pc ... atomxxx and I3 ...... in my experience ... only for latency test, because the machine work only 4 hour at time,.... is better for performance on the same hardware, not to mention that it is much easier to do in the maintenance .... I am very sorry for the restrictions that ubuntu have entered .... it is equally true that the brand nobody cares ... . is it not true that many industrial systems (except those made by Major companies) are installed on WinCE that you can see or not? ... To tell the truth some achieve simple control systems on debian (normally starting from a minimal ...) ... but right now these are all switching to Android .... I can not understand the choice of debian ... but I have to trust .... the future explain me better ....

regards
Giorgio

More
08 Nov 2016 17:52 #82598 by tommylight
I wasted last night trying to get Linuxcnc to work on latest Linux Mint Cinnamon edition, managed to get Rtai kernel working although it broke Cinnamon, but no cigar on the Lcnc front due to some dependency problems. Round 2 when and if i have some time.
As a side note ( mental ), i would love the 10.04 with updated stuff, same desktop and 2.8pre running on it.
I have 3 running 12.04 with 2.8pre without issues, but i used Ultimate Edition 3.4.2 for it. No Unity c.....!

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds