RTL8111 Wired network connection setup?

More
04 Oct 2016 04:14 #81203 by Todd Zuercher
What version of Debian were you able to get the ethernet to work? If it is Jessie, it isn't hard to install Linuxcnc on it using Preempt-Rt and Buildbot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2016 10:55 #81210 by gismofx

What version of Debian were you able to get the ethernet to work? If it is Jessie, it isn't hard to install Linuxcnc on it using Preempt-Rt and Buildbot

I tried: "debian-live-8.6.0-i386-xfce-desktop" I'm happy to try some alternatives distros if necessary. Is XCFE preferred for LinuxCNC? Can you explain step-by-step how to install LinuxCNC or provide a link?

More
04 Oct 2016 14:23 #81212 by Todd Zuercher
The first thing you need to do is install a Preempt-RT patched kernel (or apply the patch yourself). The last time I installed Jessie, a Preempt-RT kernel was available to install pre-compiled from Debian Backports using Synaptic. It appears to no longer be available there.

More
04 Oct 2016 20:29 #81231 by Todd Zuercher
I just installed a Preemt-RT patched Kernal from the Debian archive site add the repository.
deb snapshot-sibelius.debian.org/archive/debian/20160810T050046Z/ jessie-backports main
Then close synaptic and at a command prompt type
sudo apt-get -o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false update
This will let you use Synaptic to install from the old snapshot archives.
Then reopen Synaptic and install
linux-headers-rt-686-pae
after that is installed install
linux-image-rt-6860-pae.
Then reboot into the new kernel, and follow the instructions for installing Linuxcnc from buildbot for the preempt-rt.

More
04 Oct 2016 22:32 #81236 by gismofx
Thanks! I'm new to Linux so I don't know all the commands to comfortably make this happen. Would these instructions work?: forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...ssie-and-linuxcnc2-7

More
05 Oct 2016 01:13 #81241 by Todd Zuercher
Yes except for the real time kernel installation, because they are not currently available in jessie-backports. For some reason the real time patched kernels seem to appear and disappear every few months. I've heard some speculate it is because of pending version upgrades, but I don't understand why the old has to be removed so long before the new is released; (They could easily overlap for a period of time.)

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds