Back Into LinuxCNC Hell...

More
15 Jun 2017 01:49 #94517 by kurta
My earlier post regarding installation 5 Days In LinuxCNC Install Hell had a simple solution. I hope this one does too!

I was able to install LinuxCNC 2.5 on an Intel D945GTP board (Intel Pentium D, 3.4 GHz dual core with Nvidia 8800GTS video board - dual monitors) without much difficulty. I recently upgraded LinuxCNC on my virtual machine (the one I hack GCODE on and virtually walk through programs before transferring the GCODE to the production machine) to the current version. No sweat. It's running on VirtualBox on a MacBook Pro.

But getting the matching install on the Intel board has been hell!

Burning to a USB stick, getting the monitors to work properly (still a bit off on that - but I can live with it if need be), but now LinuxCNC is choking - and it looks (at a guess - a very W-A-G) that it's a conflict of some sort with the monitors. Basically, if I launch LinuxCNC, it dies an ugly death, spewing the following data:
k@linuxcnc-debian:~$ linuxcnc
LINUXCNC - 2.7.9
Machine configuration directory is '/home/k/linuxcnc/configs/by_machine.sherline.Sherline3Axis'
Machine configuration file is 'Sherline3Axis_inch.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
Found file(lib): /usr/share/linuxcnc/hallib/core_stepper.hal
Found file(REL): ./standard_pinout.hal
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/axis", line 3141, in <module>
    o = MyOpengl(widgets.preview_frame, width=400, height=300, double=1, depth=1)
  File "/usr/bin/axis", line 353, in __init__
    Opengl.__init__(self, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rs274/OpenGLTk.py", line 164, in __init__
    apply(RawOpengl.__init__, (self, master, cnf), kw)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rs274/OpenGLTk.py", line 112, in __init__
    Togl.__init__(self, master, cnf, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rs274/OpenGLTk.py", line 38, in __init__
    Widget.__init__(self, master, 'togl', cnf, kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 2001, in __init__
    (widgetName, self._w) + extra + self._options(cnf))
_tkinter.TclError: Togl: X server has no OpenGL GLX extension
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
task: 101 cycles, min=0.000019, max=0.012449, avg=0.009268, 0 latency excursions (> 10x expected cycle time of 0.010000s)
LinuxCNC terminated with an error.  You can find more information in the log:
    /home/k/linuxcnc_debug.txt
and
    /home/k/linuxcnc_print.txt
as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the terminal

I've attached the output from dmesg, and the two files mentioned above in hopes that someone will take pity and guide me FROM Dante's "Vestibule of the Futile" where I've spent the last 10 days.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2017 11:53 #94566 by tommylight
In settings meny there is "additional drivers", wait for it to update and install the recommended nvidia drivers, reboot, set the monitors how ever you want (even upside down works), enjoy Linuxcnc.
Latency will go to some high levels but mosly usable.
If using debian version, use synaptic package manager and search for nvidia, towards the middle you can see something like "nvidia-375", install that.
The error you posted is due to not having OpenGL support.

More
16 Jun 2017 18:01 #94610 by kurta
Replied by kurta on topic Back Into LinuxCNC Hell...
That package didn't appear in my Synaptic list. I tried to activate the other repositories, but the checkboxes wouldn't stay checked. I manually added the repository
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
per Stack Exchange and tried again. No luck. I note that the driver exists for Jessie, but don't know if that is a good idea, or how to install it.
I found
https://packages.qa.debian.org/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers.html
and downloaded the driver
nvidia-graphics-drivers_375.66-1.dsc
but when I tried to follow the procedure outlined at Linux Questions
it failed at line 1.
I sort of feel like I'm chasing my tail... but I'm sure I'll catch it... if only I can go a little faster!

More
16 Jun 2017 18:10 #94612 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Back Into LinuxCNC Hell...
Since the 945GTP has motherboard video, why don't you just throw the
Nvidia card as far away as you can?

More
16 Jun 2017 21:48 #94631 by kurta
Because I want the dual monitors.
I have a CCD camera attached to the Z-axis that lets me see in exceptional detail exactly where the tool point is located and what it is doing in real time. I use the other monitor for control. When etching a circuit board, it's helpful to know then a trace isn't cut quite deep enough and to monitor quality in real time.
A more salient question might be: Since the Nvidia card worked GREAT under Ubuntu and LinuxCNC 2.5, why is it broken now?
But since you raised the issue of downgrading, anyone know where I can download 2.5 w/Ubuntu?

More
16 Jun 2017 22:07 #94632 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Back Into LinuxCNC Hell...
A better supported video card might be a quick solution
Nvidia cards have always had issues with LinuxCNC, sometimes requiring the use of the open source driver or even going
back to VESA to get decent latency. This is why they are specifically not recommended for use with LinuxCNC

More
18 Jun 2017 01:33 #94668 by kurta
The hell of it is, this all worked under Ubuntu 10.04 and Linuxcnc 2.5. Now we're a generation down the road and it's all broken. Looking like one step forward, two steps back. Can't even reinstall 10.04/2.5. The repositories are gone.

More
18 Jun 2017 02:38 #94672 by Todd Zuercher
The repositories for Lucid were moved to old-releases.
f you change the repository source list to these you should be able to update.
# Copy the contents of this file to etc/apt/sources.list and comment out the old lucid lines
deb http://linuxcnc.org lucid base 2.7-rtai
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
The following user(s) said Thank You: kurta

More
19 Jun 2017 15:55 #94703 by kurta
After spending another ~2 hours installing updates (actually download/install time with a 25Mbps connection!), the most promising avenue led to
apt-get install apt-xapian-index

followed by repeated use of the update manager.

I finally reached a point where UM said "Everything is up to date".

I rebooted the system, and after a bit of churning, got a non-stop repetition of a blank (grayish) screen followed by a pure black screen. So that's the grand result? Blank screens?

Unimpressed by Debian. I'm going back to Ubuntu 10.04 and Linuxcnc 2.5

Thanks for the help - but after ~2 weeks the "new stuff" that doesn't work just isn't worth my time.

More
20 Jun 2017 18:22 - 20 Jun 2017 18:25 #94738 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Back Into LinuxCNC Hell...

Unimpressed by Debian. I'm going back to Ubuntu 10.04 and Linuxcnc 2.5

Thanks for the help - but after ~2 weeks the "new stuff" that doesn't work just isn't worth my time.

I don't think that you need to limit yourself to 2.5. I think you can use at least 2.7.

You might need to address a tcl issue:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ucid-upgrade-2-5-2-7
Last edit: 20 Jun 2017 18:25 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds