LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch

More
25 Jun 2017 14:51 #94926 by grump
Replied by grump on topic LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch
A quick review on the latest available as above.
I downloaded and installed both, linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64-r1.iso & v0.iso.

Good points.
A very quick no mess install, saving lots of repository and dependency issues.
Uses the lightweight xfce desktop.
Stepconf wizard tested my motors in both live cd and full install and all worked from the box without issue.
In all a very impressive iso and one I am sure I will keep for a while.

Bad points.
I could be pedantic here but it is only personal preference so I won't.
The only issue I had with the whole setup is a minor one but oh so important to me.
Why setup a root password to have it overwritten by a default?
Don't argue that root is not needed or one shouldn't use root when sudo does the job because without root you cannot create sudo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2017 19:20 #94942 by grump
Having spent all day installing and reinstalling these iso's.
I have come to the conclusion that if I don't enter a root password I automatically become sudo and can then change root password.
If I do it gets overwritten, this may be standard practice but it is the first time I have encountered it.
Or is it a glitch?
Either way, with this knowledge I have now a running system I am very pleased with and loaded all my preferred apps
I did an update and upgrade and it found some but the whole thing including a stepconfig wizard only takes 10 minutes from start to finish.

A must have for anyone who wants to try cutting edge lcnc it flies.
Thank you for taking the trouble to compile it.

More
26 Jun 2017 08:30 #94961 by tommylight
The root password thing on Debian has been mentioned a lot of times on this forum, and elsewhere on the net. It should be left blank. Always. That is there for system administrators. For normal use it is not needed, ever.

More
26 Jun 2017 09:52 #94971 by grump
While I appreciate what you say Tom I rarely install commercial or prebuilt distros in fact this is a first in my memory.
I usually compile my os and need to have root privileges in order to even grant a sudo user let alone anything else.
A normal install for me is from the net and a root password has to be given to proceed.

I am now using this on 4 confusers and yes if I leave the root password blank I am automatically granted sudo privileges.

My normal install would be as root and then add the sudo user and install the packages I want rather than delete what I don't want.

It's only a matter of preference but I don't want or need an office suite, media players, sound blaster, torrent, cd burner, a choice of terminals, power manager or anything else to slow my machine and interfere with my work, I simply want a computer to do what I want it to do.

I want to administrate, simple as that, and I should be able to, and am now I know.

More
26 Jun 2017 10:18 #94973 by tommylight
Nice, thank you. I do that also very offten.
I worked for several large organisations ( United Nations and Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe, and some others.) So i am fully aware of the mess that can ensue leaving things unchecked and giving users full acces to systems.
Regards,
Tom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grump

More
26 Jun 2017 12:03 - 26 Jun 2017 12:05 #94981 by grump
Just a side note, I see whilst adding my geometry to .ini file that the joints have disappeared.
It looks like I now have axis 2.7.9, a step back from where I was, not a problem for me, everything works as it should but may upset somebody.

And apologies to k10 for hijacking this thread.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2017 12:05 by grump.

More
26 Jun 2017 12:25 #94982 by skunkworks
Yes - The livecd will have the released version - not the development version.

sam

More
26 Jun 2017 13:10 #94985 by grump
Will this be an ongoing thing Sam?
I have bookmarked the page and am happy to test latest releases.
Aside from home use I also install to sd card and travel with it to other machines.
Once again thanks for doing this, I was making my own iso's to save time on installs but don't need to with this livecd.

More
26 Jun 2017 17:03 - 26 Jun 2017 17:04 #94996 by skunkworks
This is a very new linuxcnc iso. There are still some things that need to be fixed (ie - having to use packages from jessie...) Testing is welcome and when it gets finalized it will certainly be moved into the docs and normal download area.

(along with an official announcement...)

sam
Last edit: 26 Jun 2017 17:04 by skunkworks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grump

More
26 Jun 2017 18:54 #94999 by grump
Well done that man.

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds