Initial installation question

More
10 Apr 2018 22:16 - 11 Apr 2018 00:14 #108774 by dbanks
I've tried everything their site recommends, as well as perused their forums for answers, and i'm still at a loss here. Obligatory I'm new.
I've tried:
Bootable usbs (2 of them) utilizing a range of boot software (unetbootin, rufus, windows live booter). The USBs sometimes wouldn't make it to the boot menu with that information. If they did, they wouldn't let me boot to it.
I tried writing to a USB drive via ubuntu's terminal. That loaded the drive, however again, once loaded, it didn't show up in the boot menu.
I've tried utilizing a millions lines of terminal code to build it, that somewhat worked, I have the files however none of the files run the program.
I've tried doing liveboots with a CD too, which again, has the files of the program, but I have no idea what the next step of getting the installation process to come to fruition. Any ideas?
Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 00:14 by dbanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2018 01:07 #108780 by InMyDarkestHour
To install LinuxCNC from the LiveCD select Install (Graphical) at bootup.

More
11 Apr 2018 01:08 #108781 by dbanks
Where would I have that option? It's not in my boot menu.

More
11 Apr 2018 02:12 #108784 by InMyDarkestHour
Can you explain the boot procedure, from when you turn on your machine ?

Which boot menu are you referring to ?

More
11 Apr 2018 14:47 #108814 by dbanks
bios or grub

More
11 Apr 2018 16:27 #108825 by andypugh
The BIOS might not name a USB drive, I think you typically just put USB first in the boot order.
You might have to specifically enable USB boot in the BIOS.

Is this a Linux machine? If it is, then the options in the grub menu are probably the kernels available on your normal boot disc, and this is likely to indicate that the USB has not been detected as a bootable device.

If the PC normally runs windows then the very presence of a grub screen would seem to indicate that the system is booting from the USB.

The command-line instructions you seem to have been following are to create your own custom realtime kernel from scratch. This is a non-trivial task and might not even help. Any failure in that process (especially failing to apply the patch files) means that the kernel you have created won't work.

To clarify, have you ever made this machine boot from any USB drive or any USB-attached alternative medium like an external hard drive or dvd drive?

I am assuming that the machine has no internal optical drive?

More
11 Apr 2018 21:28 #108834 by dbanks
machine boots up. Shows the motherboard BIOS option screen, continues on to Ubuntu 16.04.4. That's the whole boot. I've looked through the bios boot options, and all of the grub options.

More
11 Apr 2018 21:30 #108835 by dbanks
It has Ubuntu 16.04 on it right now, I'm not sure if that makes it a Linux machine or not. I have two kernels on there. 1 is the preempt 4.9.47 I've been using to try and build linuxcnc. It fails upon selection though. Needs a patch.
I've booted from USBs multiple times on this machine trying different OS' to try and find a way to get this to work.

More
11 Apr 2018 22:06 #108839 by andypugh

I've booted from USBs multiple times on this machine trying different OS' to try and find a way to get this to work.

OK, but it has never booted from the LinuxCNC USB? It always goes direct to the Ubuntu screen?

Maybe it is worth trying again to get the Preempt-RT kernel working.

I guess you tried the instructions here?
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...04-preempt-rt-kernel

You only need to use Step1. Once you have the kernel you can get LinuxCNC pre-compiled from the package manager.

It looks like the patch has been updated. and the URL in that post no longer works.
This link should work a bit longer.
mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.9/

More
11 Apr 2018 22:12 #108843 by InMyDarkestHour
As previously mentioned have you chacked the md5sum of the image you downloaded ?
You need to insure the image is not corrupt.

Once that has been determined, you need to relay what happens when you try to boot from the selected device. Are you getting any error messages ?

How are you selecting which device to boot from, grub is not the method you want, you have to be selecting the boot device from either changing a BIOS setting or accessing a menu which allows you to set a temporary boot device.

What motherboard or machine are you using ? Do you have a model number and access to a manual or documentation ?

"It wont allow" is a very vague description and does not relay what is actually happening, you need to give as much information as possible.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds