Initial installation question

More
11 Apr 2018 22:19 #108845 by andypugh
Incidentally, I will say that I admire your tenacity with this problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2018 22:20 #108846 by InMyDarkestHour
As you mentioned in another thread, please limit the number of threads on the same topic to avoid confusion, you are using a Byte3 pressing F7 during bootup should bring up a boot menu.

More
11 Apr 2018 22:21 - 11 Apr 2018 22:22 #108847 by dbanks
I tried that and got stuck at the patch. I'll try that update now. I have all the files downloaded to the machine from trying that method. Do I run a wget function?
Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 22:22 by dbanks.

More
11 Apr 2018 22:22 #108848 by InMyDarkestHour
What patch ?

More
11 Apr 2018 22:24 #108849 by dbanks
Haha thank you. There is a bit of a determination at this.

More
11 Apr 2018 22:25 - 11 Apr 2018 22:28 #108850 by dbanks
Ran that patch, ran the update. the CD linux-4.9.47 line now says there's no such file or directory. It didn't before. I then skipped that step and did EVERYTHING under it and got stuck at dpkg-checkbuilddeps. ran an error. Everything from that area of code is saying there isn't a file or directory now. Do I have to restart?
Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 22:28 by dbanks.

More
11 Apr 2018 22:30 #108851 by dbanks
Okay well ./configure uspace worked after a sudo apt-get update. However dpkg still says no file or directory.

More
11 Apr 2018 22:34 #108853 by andypugh
You don't need to compile linuxCNC. Once you have a preempt-rt kernel than LinuxCNC just becomes like any other bit of software.

What kernel ar you now running? (what does uname -a show?)

More
11 Apr 2018 22:47 #108856 by dbanks
I don't know how to get to the next step. I've already installed all the files, how do I run it?! haha This question makes me feel weak as a human being. What does "any other bit of software" mean?
I have 4.13.0=38 generic, booting 4.9.47 like I thought I needed results in a kernel panic unable to mount root fs error at grub select. I've tried the options AskUbuntu has to fix that, and none of those work.
Thanks so much for the time you've put into these responses!

More
11 Apr 2018 23:17 #108857 by tommylight
As mentioned above, do not start multiple threads with this same subject ( there are already 3 started by you ) to avoid confusion.
Back on topic:
Go into BIOS and disable EVERYTHING that has "EFI" or "UEFI" written,
Get 1 or 2 USB sticks and use as follows:
>>>>on one USB stick download and write the Wheezy or Stretch image, insert it on the computer and boot from it, choose to boot as a live system ( does not change or write anything to your existing hard drive) or Install, if Install then install it on the existing hard drive or insert the USB number 2 and install on it.
Advise to boot as Live so you can check if it boots properly and install only after confirming it works.
You can also remove the hard drive and insert it on another computer, install Linuxcnc ( wheezy or stretch ) and put it back on the original computer.
Your persistence will prevail for sure, but please do read carefully the instructions.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds