How to build RTAI Kernel for stetch?

More
14 Sep 2018 13:34 #117527 by twoflowers
I have severe latency problems with the PREEMPT-RT kernels on vitrtually all of my computers (latency > 1000us) while the old RTAI kernels perfom reasonable (latency < 50us). So has anybody built a newer RTAI kernel and got linuxcnc working on it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2018 14:11 #117533 by Todd Zuercher
I have a PC (an older HP i5) that runs the "experimental" Stretch ISO good enough to run a base thread fast enough for software stepping (Latency <20us).
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

More
14 Sep 2018 16:14 - 14 Sep 2018 16:16 #117538 by twoflowers
I tried both (i386 and amd64) images already (r10 and r11). This is what I get:
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/33919-pre...etch?start=20#116763
Last edit: 14 Sep 2018 16:16 by twoflowers.

More
16 Sep 2018 08:17 #117595 by grump
I have used every build in there with no issues that weren't my own fault.
I have the latest 03 sept 2018 running on an old biscuit tin Lenovo dual core with 2 gig ram booting from sd card.
My bug at the moment is that bloody stupid gnome keyring they insist on throwing in, it drives me mad.

More
16 Sep 2018 08:35 #117596 by tommylight

My bug at the moment is that bloody stupid gnome keyring they insist on throwing in, it drives me mad.

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/271661/...gnome-keyring-daemon

More
16 Sep 2018 09:00 #117598 by grump
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your reply and had already disabled it.
My point is, I never needed to do this until someone in their infinite wisdom has decided that I require it or made it a dependency.
Initially, I removed it totally but that stopped my browser working so I had to reinstall something I don't want will never use and wasn't given a choice on. Next time I upgrade it will force itself back on me whether I like it or not.
Moan over and back to my old livecd for another install

More
16 Sep 2018 16:52 #117609 by grump
More to this than meets the eye, disabling gnome-keyring also took away my permissions. I had to open a terminal and sudo to get anything to run.
Reinstalled and entered a blank password when prompted. everything fine now.
So there is your hint if like me that bloody keyring annoys you. simply leave it alone and enter a blank password when prompted, I just need to remember it for future cos I am sure they won't take it out for us.

More
16 Sep 2018 21:48 #117617 by andypugh

So has anybody built a newer RTAI kernel and got linuxcnc working on it?

I think so. There is a chap on the IRC has mentioned it a few times.

Which kernel version would you need? The latest patches seem to be for 4.9.51 and 4.9.80

More
16 Sep 2018 22:02 #117626 by tommylight
Yeah i also use a blank and do not bother with it.
I also hate that removing it will take a lot of other useful stuff with it rendering the whole system useless.
I wonder what @$$$$hole thought it is a nice idea to bundle such useless features with the GUI, same sh!!!t in ubuntu with a lot of things. I am also extremely annoyed by some who think linux should be like windoze, Linux is Linux and should remain as such, not a copy of something inherently broken and unreliable.

More
20 Sep 2018 08:29 #117775 by grump
I have found another issue That I cannot seem to get around and hope someone here can help.
I use an Anir mouse, (looks like a joystick for disabled hands), I only use the thumb left and right click and disable the other button.
In previous versions I had a bash script to disable it on startup:
"xinput set-button-map `xinput list | grep 'PixArt USB Optical Mouse' | grep -o [0-9][0-9]` 1 0 3"
It always worked faultless until this install now there seems to be no xinput, Where have they put the mouse configuration? I can only find old data to refer to.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds