Installing LAN on new Linux CNC install

More
01 May 2019 01:33 #132400 by Type_Zero_Design
DarkestHour,

Definitely would have hit the search if I was not already troubleshooting through here, just came up in the process.

I believe it was POWERISO

Anyhow once I got a usb WIFI dongle in there everything was good and I got it installed. I haven't jumped into the Ethernet port yet as I ran the latency test and its not looking to good... So im trying to figure that out first before I spend any time on the port.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2019 02:18 #132402 by InMyDarkestHour
Try it without the USB dongle, disable sound in the BIOS and any power saving features. Latency should look better.

More
05 May 2019 01:35 #132792 by tommylight
Regarding latency, it would be nice to have the time to test several kernels (RT), as i noticed that one version of kernel has very low latency on a Lenovo T420S, while all others (RTAI included) have miserable latency on it.
Not sure but i think it was 4.8.nn, Lenovo is upstairs in the bedroom ATM.

More
05 May 2019 03:16 #132805 by Type_Zero_Design
Removing the WIFI dongle seemed to help quite a bit sitting around 5-7k base but still getting random spikes sometime to 100k+ with nothing else going on.

What are you guys using to monitor that produces the graph ive seen a few people post? Would that help determine what is generating the spike?

More
05 May 2019 03:46 #132806 by Type_Zero_Design
So the WIFI dongle didnt actually seem to make that much difference after trying both in and out. It seems to be very sporadic. (right now its sitting at 28k base with two videos on YT playing GLX-Gears and a few random windows. but the if I go over and star just clicking the mouse, it will be fine then shoot to 200k.

Not to sure on any of this as i have zerooo experience.

More
05 May 2019 06:42 #132810 by InMyDarkestHour
Did you try disabling sound or power saving in the BIOS ?

More
05 May 2019 17:48 #132865 by Type_Zero_Design
I disabled the sound, it did seem to make some improvement, everything related to powersaving the n the BIOS was disabled already.

More
05 May 2019 22:32 #132884 by tommylight

What are you guys using to monitor that produces the graph ive seen a few people post? Would that help determine what is generating the spike?

latency-histogram
or latency-histogram --nobase
if you want only the servo period shown.

More
05 May 2019 22:42 - 05 May 2019 22:51 #132885 by InMyDarkestHour
Have you tried removing Intel's System Management ?

You'll need access to the die, a 9" (230mm is too big) Grinder, cold chisel and 10lb (4.5kg wont cut it) lump hammer. Remember to ground all your tools and such, you don't want ESD issues.

Actually you could try modifying the mount options in fstab for your root partition, eg defaults,noatime for the options.

Info on fstab options
wiki.debian.org/fstab
Last edit: 05 May 2019 22:51 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
06 May 2019 21:05 #132999 by Type_Zero_Design
Bahaha DarkestHour, that sounds like a solution I can handle!

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds