RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

More
10 Sep 2023 00:57 #280359 by cornholio
I'll give the driver a go, once I confirm my build process works.......may have to up initial size to 12288MB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2023 01:03 #280360 by rodw

.may have to up initial size to 12288MB

Me too. I had that set to that  but thought I had to reduce it.
I just experimented using MENUCONFIG  to add  a LOCALVERSION. We can use that to put in extra details in the file name re version, lcnc branch etc
Just set MENUCONFIG=1 and you can edit that under general settings but it will default to our default settings on the next run. (eg we override settings just for that run)

More
10 Sep 2023 01:08 #280361 by rodw
Also, can somebody check my latest images? They still fail here after displaying a few lines on the screen
I'm sure its my pi

More
10 Sep 2023 03:42 #280365 by cornholio
Ok boots fine,
but.......
before the greeter runs (login screen) you are asked to create a user in a text terminal, go through the process, gets to the greeter but you can't login with the created user or user cnc, wrong passwd, check your password.

I think it's this in useradata.txt USERACCT="1", I have mine set to zero and have no issues.

More
10 Sep 2023 03:59 #280367 by rodw
That setting must have been an accident. Mine failed before that! So it must be my hardware.

I'm going to rebuild it with the packages for the docs included in the ROOTFS
I am going to make a habit of using menuconfig to set the LOCALVERSION in genreral settings so the files get named based on the version I am building

More
10 Sep 2023 04:13 - 10 Sep 2023 04:33 #280368 by cornholio
I did a run with the linuxcnc source tree being cloned during the rootfs proocess, it worked, I didn't run the build as of yet. Plus I was experimenting with LXDE....yuck. Now doing a run with xfce and building linuxcnc.

One thing I found out that if you copy packages to /var/cache/apt/archive and they haven't been installed apt wont download them during install. It will only download the deps that it needs but that can be sorted as well.
So I'm going to experiment with copying the packages over during rootfs-extra. Should save about 1.5GB of downloads.

You know that using menuconfig to set LOCALVERSION is really just for the kernel and the fact that the resulting image has that in it's filename is because that is how the original author has set it up ?

Once you have a working rootfs & kernel they don't need to be built again, all you need to do is run make "image board=bcm2711", it will save a lot of time.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2023 04:33 by cornholio.

More
10 Sep 2023 04:45 #280371 by rodw
Note to self: The image size in custom.txt needs to have "MB" at the end! Took me to an abrupt halt for a while.

modifying rootfs-extra is an interesting approach. I've finally got time to think about how to tweak it from here.
Actually modifying rootfs_extra so that it optionally calls a new run_function4() in uscripts would be the go. There are examples in rootfs to follow and a recent commit that added a new run_function.
I'd also like to add a couple of variables to userdata.txt to control the lcnc version to checkout and if to include the docs

More
10 Sep 2023 04:49 #280372 by rodw

You know that using menuconfig to set LOCALVERSION is really just for the kernel and the fact that the resulting image has that in it's filename is because that is how the original author has set it up ?

Yeh I figured that out. I don't think it flows down to the others.
But  LOCALVERSION is a kernel setting and is used in the file name. I used to use 
make -j4  deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-linuxcnc
to make my X86 kernels

More
10 Sep 2023 07:20 #280377 by Donno
Hi rodw i tested rpi-4-debian-bookworm-6.1.46-rt13-arm64-ext4-linuxcnc-2.9--2023-09-10-0552.img.xz as Cornholio pioned out i was greeted with create user if i left it for a few seconds my system would lock up. 

After a few tries i manage to get it to work ! I tipe cnc and "enter" four times fast i manage to log in with Username : cnc and password : cnc 

Attachments:

More
10 Sep 2023 08:56 - 10 Sep 2023 08:56 #280384 by rodw
Thanks for the screenshots. Its frustrating my Pi is dead!

Here is another image (2.10 master branch). Hopefully, it has the cnc user set up correctly
drive.google.com/file/d/1DfgpD9K1KrYJYbJ.../view?usp=drive_link
This image includes the dependencies for the Docs but does not include the docs themselves. That is my next job....
See if you can test Andy's GPIO driver.

Last edit: 10 Sep 2023 08:56 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donno

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds