Broken packages

More
18 Aug 2020 16:33 #178611 by shortcircuit48
Replied by shortcircuit48 on topic Broken packages
Second attempt as first disappeared

What are you using to write to the USB?
I am following the process.

Are you saying that you managed to write the 2.8test5.iso and boot from that then got an error, or that you could not even download it (if so, don't use zsync. that isn't set up yet)

I managed to download 2.8test5 and it remained in my Downloads folder. I tried to use but nothing happened so reverted to wheezy

How did you load Buster in the first place? You did mention that as the starting point.
Not sure where Buster comes in although I think it was suggest I try

I do appreciate your help and if I could get my USB bootable that would I think resolve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2020 16:38 - 18 Aug 2020 16:51 #178612 by shortcircuit48
Thanks Clive. I did try Etcher but don't think I got the process right. Will give it another go. I have it open "Flash from file or Flash from URL" ??????????

Edit: I had tried this before and it did provide a bootable drive but I was unable to delete what I did not need. Will try again
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 16:51 by shortcircuit48.

More
18 Aug 2020 16:48 #178613 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Broken packages

I managed to download 2.8test5 and it remained in my Downloads folder. I tried to use

How did you try to use it? Using dd to write it to the USB?

but nothing happened so reverted to wheezy

dd will take several minutes and gives no feedback that anything is happening.

I do appreciate your help and if I could get my USB bootable that would I think resolve

Have you ever booted from any USB? You might need to enable USB booting in the PC BIOS. And even then some PCs will only boot from specific USB ports.

More
18 Aug 2020 16:59 #178614 by shortcircuit48
Yes I have a USB that I can boot from. I tried a copy "pp a to b" and it worked however the master was only 1gb and the receiver was brought down from 16gb to 1gb Will keep trying as there has to be a way. Thanks again

More
18 Aug 2020 17:03 #178615 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Broken packages
The USB will end up with the same apparent capacity as the size of the disc image.

But I still have the feeling that you are not following the actual instructions. "pp a to b" is very different from "dd if=2.8test5.iso of=/dev/sdd" or similar.

More
18 Aug 2020 17:16 - 18 Aug 2020 17:22 #178616 by shortcircuit48
I only gave an outlne desription ,"pp a to b" for my attempt at the USB boot and it did reduce down. It was dd if=2.8test5.iso of=/dev/sdb1
I will keep trying

Edit Never got to the "pp" stage
zsync www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8test5.iso.zsync
failed on url www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8test5.iso.zsync
could not read control file from URL www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8test5.iso.zsync
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 17:22 by shortcircuit48.

More
19 Aug 2020 06:08 #178674 by shortcircuit48
I gave Etcher a try today. I have a 16G USB which I added Debian ios to give me a bootable drive which appeared to work although I did not go through the complete process. Unmounted the USB and then went through the process to create Linuxcnc . When it came to writing to the USB it failed as "insufficient space" on the USB. When I looked at the USB it came back with 1.1 Gb spare out of 16Gb which I found strange.
Clutching at straws now but if I had a larger USB would I be able to do as I have attempted?
Your help most appreciated

More
19 Aug 2020 06:41 - 19 Aug 2020 06:42 #178682 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Broken packages
On Linux:
sudo dd if=2.8test5.iso of=/dev/sdx
where sdx can be found with
sudo fdisk -l
That is an L
No numbers should be used in that line for the USB device as that would image it on a partition and that will not work.
For windows, use win32diskimager or similar, plenty of members here use it.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 06:42 by tommylight. Reason: typo

More
19 Aug 2020 09:49 #178690 by shortcircuit48
Thanks Tommy will give it a go. I think my previous post is rubbish.

More
19 Aug 2020 14:09 - 19 Aug 2020 14:11 #178709 by shortcircuit48
Well I have got to thank you very much as now up and running. A few question and would be grateful if you can assist
1 Do I need to leave the USB in as when I remove system crashes.? Perhaps I have not read install instruction properly.
2 I have installed wheezy as I was unable to access 2.8test5 or buster but will give them both a .try. Is Wheezy 2.7.14 only for simulation and therefore I will not get outputs to a BOB?
I do appreciate assistance and as a 74yr+ trainee it takes time and blunders but I do enjoy a challenge.
Thanks again.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 14:11 by shortcircuit48.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds