Broken packages

More
19 Aug 2020 14:50 #178712 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Broken packages

1 Do I need to leave the USB in as when I remove system crashes.? Perhaps I have not read install instruction properly.

That is normal as you are using the Live system booted from the USB.
To have it permanently, it has to be installed from the grub menu at boot time, there is the graphical and text mode only installer, choose graphical as it might be a bit easier.

2 I have installed wheezy as I was unable to access 2.8test5 or buster but will give them both a .try. Is Wheezy 2.7.14 only for simulation and therefore I will not get outputs to a BOB?

To get 2.8 ISO just click on this link, it should start the download, then use the same procedure as for the other ISO.
www.linuxcnc.org/temp/2.8test5.iso
And all releases of LinuxCNC are for controlling hardware or BOB's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2020 16:29 #178726 by shortcircuit48
Replied by shortcircuit48 on topic Broken packages
Whilst I have managed to download 2.8test5.iso I am experiencing major problems in terminal with commands not recognized authentication etc that i assume is because its using the USB 3.0 ( Will reboot and then permanently install in computer then start over again with 2.8test5
Will feedback in a few hours time

More
19 Aug 2020 17:48 #178731 by shortcircuit48
Gone backwards
2.8test5.iso is in my Downloads folder and following process I have done a few time now
"hamish@Hamish:~$ sudo apt-get install zsync
[sudo] password for hamish:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package zsync
hamish@Hamish:~$ zsync www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8test5.iso
bash: zsync: command not found
hamish@Hamish:~$ zsync www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8test5.iso.zsync
bash: zsync: command not found
hamish@Hamish:~$ "

More
19 Aug 2020 19:58 #178745 by tommylight
Why zsync ?
Just click on the above link and the download will start, just make sure to save it, not to open with....

More
19 Aug 2020 20:25 #178751 by shortcircuit48
I have downloaded and it is in my Downloads folder with no zsync.
These listings are as per the guide and the zsync was added unwittingly by me to hopefully get it to load but that did not happen Similarly I went back the way to see what would happen with weezy and fell short again.
Is there another process other than zsync.
I hope others will learn from my blundering about.
Thanks again

More
19 Aug 2020 20:41 #178755 by tommylight
-Download ISO >>> done
-Write said ISO to USB using DD on Linux or win32diskiimager on Windows
-Boot the PC from said USB
-Choose "graphical installer" at the menu, follow the instructions
-When finished, remove the USB and reboot
That i it, now you should have a permanent installation of Debian Buster or 10 with LinuxCNC included.

More
19 Aug 2020 21:14 #178765 by shortcircuit48
Tommy, I have just done the stupid thing of watching the tutorial which explains a lot. I apologise for wasting your time and will follow video. I will no doubt be back with more problems

More
20 Aug 2020 06:00 #178798 by shortcircuit48
At last now installed 2.8test5. I have been giving myself a lot of grief mainly because I have blundered along. So others may learn these are where I think I went wrong
1 At the first stage 1.1 when this did not work I altered and eventually downloaded wheezy "linuxcnc-2.7.14-wheezy.iso.zsync" and this worked.
2 To install 2.8test5 I , having downloaded the file I modified the above to be "linuxcnc-2.8test5.iso.zsyn" , which is incorrect. It should have been, "2.8test5.iso"Having done that all ok and now in my desktop.

I would ask if it is necessary ti verify the download and how. I have not and it all appears to work ok.
Thanks again for patience
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Aug 2020 13:10 #178825 by tommylight
You are welcomed, always.
Usually there is no need to verify the ISO, but if there is any doubt about the internet link having issues while downloading, it is good practice to verify it, it saves a lot of headache.

More
20 Aug 2020 21:31 #178879 by Himarc3D
Replied by Himarc3D on topic Broken packages

At last now installed 2.8test5. I have been giving myself a lot of grief mainly because I have blundered along. So others may learn these are where I think I went wrong
1 At the first stage 1.1 when this did not work I altered and eventually downloaded wheezy "linuxcnc-2.7.14-wheezy.iso.zsync" and this worked.
2 To install 2.8test5 I , having downloaded the file I modified the above to be "linuxcnc-2.8test5.iso.zsyn" , which is incorrect. It should have been, "2.8test5.iso"Having done that all ok and now in my desktop.

I would ask if it is necessary ti verify the download and how. I have not and it all appears to work ok.
Thanks again for patience

The link you used looks like dont have the necessary files to check the ISO integrity.
Usually i don’t check anything I download...
Heres one link showing how to;
www.howtogeek.com/246332/how-to-verify-a...wasnt-tampered-with/

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds