VERY new user

More
11 Mar 2021 23:33 #201906 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic VERY new user
Just to be on the safe side, when you do press Home All on the actual machine, keep your finger over the F1 button to be able to press it fast as the gantry might try to move in two different directions!
Adding a - to SCALE in the ini file will reverse the motor direction, requires editing the ini file, saving and restarting LinuxCNC.
It can also be changed by using the "Calibration" from the "Machine" menu on LinuxCNC, change the value for the respective joint/axis, click on "test", test if it works, click OK then save to file. No need for restart.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2021 23:53 #201908 by clive
Replied by clive on topic VERY new user
Oh my, yes. Over the years the machine has seen some pretty hard use at my hands. It doesn't do any hard cutting but I did once burn a hole in the spoil board with a V bit.

In most recent times it has been making sumi-brush drawings on paper with an ink feed system. It gets very messy when the ink pump breaks loose. :blush:

More
12 Mar 2021 00:01 #201909 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic VERY new user

And home_search_velocity can not be 0

HOME_SEARCH_VELOCITY = 0 should mean "immediate homing"
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-co...t__lt_num_gt_section

The idea of using -2 as the home sequence is that the machine will move both sides to the home switch, and then set zero for each side to the home_offset. This number can be tweaked to make the gantry perfectly square at that point.

But, of course, it won't work if there are no home switches, which is why I suggested setting it up for immediate homing.

You probably want to move the axes right to the end of travel before homing, though, as they will refuse to go past where they think that zero is.

But, really, you should fit homing switches.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Mar 2021 00:19 #201913 by clive
The machine did come with switches but they got in the way ! They are stuck on a shelf. I have had no trouble with the gantry motion using Mach.

In our normal use we jog the machine to an appropriate place on the paper, then zero out x,y, & z for the artwork. My G-Code does a safety circuit of the drawing space then it goes to work. Part of the process is to get the brush to make pleasing strokes with the Z-axis. Then there is an Arduino that controls small pumps that feed the sumi ink to the brush.

As you might imagine, none of this requires utter precision. Each drawing is a one-off.

More
12 Mar 2021 01:33 #201919 by clive
The computer is returned to the barn and is hooked up to the CNC rig. All is good. I need to calibrate things and the Z-axis is inverted but everything moves !

Thank you all for your support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds