Debian 11/ Bullseye / MX Linux 21 - how to run a buildbot AND RIP install?

More
08 Aug 2021 11:37 #217211 by phillc54
MX21 should have the same kernels as Debian11, that is the base they build off. I think you are comparing it to MX19.

MX doesn't need an external grub customiser they have one of their own plus a lot of other handy extra tools.

You shouldn't need the headers to build linuxcnc for uspace, only for RTAI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2021 11:39 #217212 by robertspark
thanks rod and Phil

I'll have a go this evening

More
08 Aug 2021 12:47 #217217 by rodw

MX21 should have the same kernels as Debian11, that is the base they build off. I think you are comparing it to MX19.

MX doesn't need an external grub customiser they have one of their own plus a lot of other handy extra tools.

You shouldn't need the headers to build linuxcnc for uspace, only for RTAI.When I looke

I needed the headers to install some hardware drivers hence they are in the list. 
grub-customiizer is now in my synaptic but I don't have the repo set anymore so maybe its now part of the distro Strange....
I have a number of issues on 2 PC's with MXlinux loosing input devices so not keen on it but my primary reason  to go to Debian was driver support. There are a few gotchas like adding yourself to the sudoer group but su gives you elevated priveleges.
I have not got the auto logon working. I thought that would be easy. The Screen saver settings are in settings/power settings

More
08 Aug 2021 12:50 #217220 by rodw
What I've written tonight..Go to the menu and select settings/grub customizerOn the list configuration tab. Click on Debian/GNU/Linux with Linux 5.10.0-8-rt-amd64Click on the up arrow until it's the very first entryCheck on the General Settings tab ensure that default entry is predefined and ther(first entry) is selectedClick on save and close.Restart your machine to boot into the PREEMPT_RT kernelOpen a terminal and type uname -v and check it reports PREMPT_RTAdd your user to the sudoers group by typing usermod -aG sudo your-user-nameIf it does not stick, type su and try againFrom the menu settings/Power manager set the power settings to suit your needs. Now its time to  build linuxcnc from source. First we need to install the many dependencies required. Open a terminal window and paste the following in and press enter........Time for a coffee, this will take a while. Now just simply follow the instructions to build Linuxcnc here linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html To create the debs, keep going and the debs will be created in your home directoryOpen a terminal in your home folder or type ~Type gdebi linuxcnc-doc-en_2.9.0~pre0_all.deb Thats it, you are done!
The one thing I could not find was libgnomeprintui-2.2 which is only used by Classic ladder when printing. I've never used CLassic ladder so it was not an issue for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

More
08 Aug 2021 12:52 #217221 by rodw
Man this forum editor is really crap. sorry about the formatting/

More
08 Aug 2021 13:07 #217223 by phillc54
You keep comparing Debian11 to MX19.

MX21 will have the same drivers as Debian11.

More
08 Aug 2021 13:25 #217225 by rodw

You keep comparing Debian11 to MX19.

MX21 will have the same drivers as Debian11.

Yes, both use the 5.10 kernel but MX Linux did not install my network card on the Odroid and I knew it was in the Debian distro. Maybe MX is pure to  open source and does not support the non-free stuff. At least Debian gave me the option to install it.

But I kept getting mouse driver failures on MX (on 2 PCs) and none of the other distros I used did this.
I'm not really seeing any compelling reasons to stray away from Debian anymore as I went to mint to get driver support and compile a PREEMPT_RT kernel in the first place.

More
08 Aug 2021 13:34 - 08 Aug 2021 13:35 #217227 by robertspark

Man this forum editor is really crap. sorry about the formattformattin

+100

Last edit: 08 Aug 2021 13:35 by robertspark.

More
08 Aug 2021 13:42 #217228 by robertspark
I installed Debian 11 in a time window I had.... it was missing a driver for my WiFi (fairly newish card.... always worked / loaded fine in Debian 10)

MX-21 was taking way too long ( cement through a straw!)

sort all the rest later

More
08 Aug 2021 19:26 #217257 by tommylight
Debian has always two versions of the same release, one free and the other is non-free that comes with plenty of drivers and is much bigger in size.
Use the latter.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds