Problem installing on Dell Inspiron 3880

More
14 Dec 2021 18:34 #229069 by milu
3880 is a completely generic desktop that I just purchased at Best Buy. When I try to install 2.8.2, I get the following error on boot:
iwlwifi .. :BIOS contains WGDS but no WRDS
This is a bug that was fixed in the current Debian release, but not in Buster or Stretch. As far as I know, that means I can't run any version of the linuxcnc ISOs. But I could build a system from scratch with the iwlwifi fix and add linuxcnc. Unless someone has a better idea, that's my plan. Can someone tell me specifically which kernel is in the 2.8.2 iso? I know it's 4.19, but it helps to have the subversion as well.

Thanks, Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2021 19:18 #229071 by rodw
If you have recent hardware you will require a recent Linux Kernel.
I would probably go with Debian11 non-free (bullseye) and follow the install guide here:
www.qtpyvcp.com/install/bullseye.html

Alternatively, there is a long winded instruction set to install MXLinux on the forum here. They should both give you the same version of the kernel

More
14 Dec 2021 20:03 #229073 by milu
Thanks. That would be 2.9 though, right? Is that likely to be stable enough?

More
14 Dec 2021 22:37 #229082 by tommylight
Not aware of any glaring issues in 2.9, but in case you are running a plasma table, 2.9 is a must due to QtPlasmaC.
When installing from scratch, you can always choose the version you want to install, follow
buildbot.linuxcnc.org

More
14 Dec 2021 23:20 #229083 by rodw

Thanks. That would be 2.9 though, right? Is that likely to be stable enough?

Sell you could type:
git checkout 2.8 after cloning the repo to get V 2.8

More
16 Jan 2022 02:49 #231984 by milu
well, 2.9 is a fail. Machine hangs randomly, including but not exclusively when running linuxcnc. Does anyone know when 2.9 will be released? My knowledge of linux seems inadequate to try anything until a supported solution arrives. I guess I could replace the dell, but its hard to imagine that there is something more vanilla out there.

More
16 Jan 2022 04:31 #231987 by ALittleOffTheRails
Ok it the machine hangs when not running Linuxcnc it's not a Linuxcnc issue. Remember Linuxcnc is "just a program" running on Linux.

I would suggest to clean the inside of the machine from any dust, pay attention to the PSU and cpu cooler\heatsink\fan. Remove the ram, make sure the ram slots & ram module contacts are clean.

When you say "the machine hangs" does it become totally unresponsive or can you move the mouse, if you press CTR-ALT-F1 does it bring up a text terminal ?

Does CTRL-ALT_DELETE restart the system.

More
16 Jan 2022 05:01 #231988 by milu
Hangs as in totally unresponsive to anything except the power cord.

More
16 Jan 2022 05:02 #231989 by milu
I should add that linuxcnc is always running (machine is not used for anything else) but it will hang when I'm not using it, or using it.

More
16 Jan 2022 06:43 #231990 by ALittleOffTheRails
Ok if it is a desktop model I still would recommend giving it a good clean.

Also I would recommend running a memory test.

Not being able to see the syslogs after the crash does make things a little difficult.

How did the machine cope with an extended latency test ?

Also the installed distro and kernel version would be a help as well.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds