Problem installing on Dell Inspiron 3880

More
21 Jan 2022 05:24 #232596 by milu
I've heard a lot of stories about older machines with low latency. This is my 4th linuxcnc computer. The first I can't even remember, followed by two that were based on gaming computers and now this one. None of them have had good latency. I was just messing around and this one also has some sort of drift. If I do repeated touch offs, on the same axis, the point of touch off changes by as much as 0.5mm between touches. Can that be related to latency? I have the max velocity and acceleration turned way down. It sounds like a calibration issue, but there really isn't anything to calibrate with the G540. And it's random (sometimes + and sometimes -) so its hard to see how that can be in stepconf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2022 05:33 #232597 by ALittleOffTheRails
You need to make sure that you have your scale right. Backlash can play a role, or other mechanical factors.

It could depend how you touch off. If it's an electric one switch bounce can be an issue.

I use a two piece end finder and can usually get within 0.02mm to 0.01mm repeatability. This was the same when I was using the mill manually with digital scales.

More
21 Jan 2022 05:53 #232598 by milu
Just a normal wiggler. I tried both of the ones that I have. Kind of sucks though because it does not sound like this will be solved by changing CPUs.

More
21 Jan 2022 06:48 - 21 Jan 2022 06:54 #232600 by ALittleOffTheRails
A lot of people try to chase those issues via Linuxcnc, they just assume that the mechanicals are good.What type of machine are you running, gantry router, mill or something else. Never used a wiggler myself, I have a coaxial center finder and a mechanical edge finder as below. Or I might use a dial test indicator for holes as well. The type of coupler you use, can make a difference. The "coil" or "double beam" type coupler can "wind up" under load, and make a mess off things. The cheap chinese "spider couplers" haven't got the best reputation either.

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jan 2022 06:54 by ALittleOffTheRails.

More
21 Jan 2022 09:13 #232613 by tommylight
Latency of 50000 is very usable for parallel port, granted there are no excursions.
Does LinuxCNC complain about latency at any given point while in use ?
LinuxCNC is very good at letting you know when things are not to it's liking.

More
21 Jan 2022 17:17 #232658 by milu
It's pretty common to get the latency warning on startup, or soon after.

I'm using a starrett edge finder. Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing, but its one of those things that pops off center when it detects and edge. And the reason I don't think its mechanical is that all of this stuff worked before the controlling computer died. And then the new computer turned out to require a new linuxcnc. And yeah, that's not airtight, but a 0.5mm difference back-to-back seems like it would be hard to do with backlash.

It's a Taig desktop mill, G540 controller.

More
21 Jan 2022 17:18 - 21 Jan 2022 17:18 #232659 by milu
Oh and the good news is that the system ran all night with ubuntu and 2.8. It wasn't doing anything, but 2.9 and Debian would have locked up by now.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2022 17:18 by milu.

More
21 Jan 2022 17:46 #232663 by tommylight

It's pretty common to get the latency warning on startup, or soon after.

Set the base period higher, that should not occur ever while using LinuxCNC, it is a way of saying that it is failing to maintain the given time period, so skipped steps, cold coffee, or else might occur.

More
21 Jan 2022 20:11 #232678 by milu
I bumped it to 50k (which is the highest that stepconf will allow) and its now complaining that it went over 65k.

More
21 Jan 2022 20:44 #232682 by milu
I tried the Mint .iso. I have to say, I really like the look of Mint. But latency is over 100k.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds