Installing LinuxCNC 2.9 or Master on Linux Mint 21

More
28 Jul 2022 17:46 #248565 by my1987toyota
Thanks tommylight. I will have to give Mint 21 a try. It will be nice if Mint is an option again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2022 20:30 #248583 by rodw
I know Mint is nice but I really don't get why you bother to install a Mint beta with the 5.15 kernel when you can just install Debian Bookworm (aka testing) and get a similar kernel (5.15 or 5.17 last tiem I tried) . and just use apt install to install Linuxcnc without any intermediate steps.

Everybody seems to get up in arms becasue of the name testing. But when Google has adopted a rolling release of Debian testing across its entire organisation, to get hung up on the name implies a lack of understanding of what Debian is.  Of course when an organisation this size votes with its feet, Debian can only continue to benefit from contributions to the core from Google's massive dev team.

I found like BigJohn did, so many driver issues are solved in the later kernels so life becomses easier. Mint has lagged too far behind for too long, I have really given up on it.

Love it or hate its GUI, Debian is making significant contributions to the LCNC core these days because their automated build process has uncovered issues not related to LCNC code that affects our stability, its hard to recommend using anything other than Debian for both Linuxcnc and general Linux workstations so I'll side with Google.

More
28 Jul 2022 20:45 #248586 by Todd Zuercher
You can install all the same desktop environment gui options in Debian as you can in Mint. So you can't even use that argument for not using one over the other.

But there often seems to be a better polish on the Mint distro as to how default configurations are set up when compared with Debian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
28 Jul 2022 21:35 #248593 by tommylight
Mint is based on Ubuntu
Ubuntu is based on Debian
How the hell does mint boot in under 20 seconds on my main PC while Debian takes over 40???
:)
Debian is proof that humanity still has a chance, so many people working on it, scattered all over the world, still managed to create something that just works, and works with a lot of hardware, and can be tuned and modified and bent and shaped and... and the most important part = once set up it never fails!
-
I have to agree with Rod regarding the "testing" name and the "updates" state of mind, most people see that and run away as they are used to MS BS, or ... no rant!
I also agree with Todd, install the same desktop environment and they are the same, and Debian will be much faster in everything except boot time. And uses less memory.
Now the good in Mint:
-it works, from 17.3 to 19.3 it was indestructible
-it did not allow "snaps" or snap package installs
-it has a lot of nice features that are hidden, like context menus with admin stuff on right click
-had it on for 68 days, no slowdowns, no lag, snappy as the first boot
-working dark theme
-it works! Yes again. I had Debian destroy itself beyond repair from a simple update, twice. Mint never.
And the bad in Mint:
-20 and 21 include "geoclue" i hate that, it is not mentioned anywhere
-it auto starts some cr@p i do not like so have to disable
-it looks like MS windows, all Linux distros/DE do
-i'm out
--
Now, i am seriously thinking of switching to Debian or POP OS, and the latter is wining by a large margin, it feels different and smooth and polished. No matter what i choose i am not giving up on Debian or Mint, they deserve the utmost respect.
--

I know Mint is nice but I really don't get why you bother to install a Mint beta with the 5.15 kernel when you can just install Debian Bookworm (aka testing) and get a similar kernel (5.15 or 5.17 last tiem I tried) . and just use apt install to install Linuxcnc without any intermediate steps.

Rod, respecting other peoples choices and stuff? :)

More
15 Aug 2022 13:20 #249783 by tommylight
Added the tidbit about not using this for Mesa 7i96S due to LinuxCNC build being from April of this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zack

More
15 Aug 2022 15:45 #249793 by zack
cant we use the latest branch version? as an update

More
15 Aug 2022 16:34 #249797 by tommylight
No, for some strange reason the buildbot deb requires Python under 3.8 and over 3.10 to work.
But you can always compile LinuxCNC on Mint 21, it takes a while though, over half hour on my Ryzen 7 3700X.

More
15 Aug 2022 16:45 #249799 by zack
ok i get it the dependancy issues and can we compile without docs ?

More
15 Aug 2022 16:52 #249803 by tommylight
Yes, the issue was fixed a while back so it works with and without docs.

More
16 Aug 2022 10:20 - 16 Aug 2022 10:21 #249875 by rodw

Added the tidbit about not using this for Mesa 7i96S due to LinuxCNC build being from April of this year.

The same can be said about any feature in master that has been released since the package was built, Eg wanting to run the latest version of QTplasmac.

There is nothing stopping you to compile the source  on Debian 12 Bullseye after installing the linuxcnc-uspace package. The advantage is the package installs most of the dependencies and PREEMPT_RT

Compiling linuxcnc  either to a run in place or to .debs on any version of debian is really very simple.
I did a video of it on a chromebook (because of the awesome screen capture feature) as an example
Last edit: 16 Aug 2022 10:21 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, zack

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds