Running SIM in VM for QTPlasmaC

More
23 Jan 2023 04:37 #262708 by phillc54
What version is reported if you enter python3 in a terminal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2023 04:44 #262709 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

What version is reported if you enter python3 in a terminal?

$ python3
Python 3.7.3 (default, Oct 31 2022, 14:04:00)
[GCC 8.3.0] on linux

More
23 Jan 2023 04:48 #262710 by phillc54
Hmm, same as mine.
What does apt search python3-opengl return?

More
23 Jan 2023 04:55 #262711 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

Hmm, same as mine.
What does apt search python3-opengl return?

That brings this:

$ apt search python3-opengl
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
python3-opengl/oldstable,now 3.1.0+dfsg-2 all [installed,automatic]  
Python bindings to OpenGL (Python 3)

More
23 Jan 2023 05:04 #262713 by phillc54
The same as mine again, I think this may be above my paygrade.

I have not used Parallels, I use UTM on my M1 mac and VMware Fusion Player on my intel mac.

The only suggestion I have is to try it without 3D acceleration, I do recall issues with VirtualBox if 3D acceleration was enabled.

More
23 Jan 2023 05:32 - 23 Jan 2023 08:09 #262715 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com
I started over, reinstalling from the LinuxCNC ISO (2.8 on buster) and instead of upgrading to 2.10, I upgraded to 2.9.That works. When I run the Simulator for QTPlasmaC, I get a working GUI!I then tried to run sudo tasksel to install Cinnamon, but it would not work.I then installed Cinnamon using
sudo apt install cinnamon
I then updated Linux using sudo apt update and sudo apt upgradeAfter that, I got a new kernel option.I still have:
linux-headers-4.19.0-17-rt-amd64
And now I have:
linux-headers-4.19.0-23-rt-amd64
As of this stage, I still have working SIM of QTPlasmaC.Note: when booting using Cinnamon GUI, I get “software rendering” when it loads, at least for now, while using default VM graphics settings and 4.19.0-17-rt-amd64 kernel. Getting Parallels Tools installed should fix that.

Now I am trying to get Parallels Tools installed.

ATTEMPTING to INSTALL PARALLELS TOOLS:
kb.parallels.com/en/118876

su

eject /dev/sr0

MENU: reinstall Parallels Tools

mkdir /media/cdrom

mount -o exec /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom

cd /media/cdrom

./install
Often I cannot get installer to run (permission issues). Whenever I do, it claims two packages are needed, linux-headers-4.19.0-17-rt-amd64 and DKMS. The auto install of these always fails and I am told to install the two packages manually and re-run the installer for Parallels Tools.

MANUAL INSTALL OF DKMS:
sudo apt-get install dkms
MANUAL RE-INSTALL of linux-headers attempting to fix issue of Parallels claiming 4.19.0-17-rt-amd64 needs installed (it is already installed):

I went into Synaptic Package Manager, reinstalled 4.19.0-17-rt-amd64, and then booted into it, then booted back into main newer kernel, and after repeated attempts, finally got Parallels Tools install to complete.

One more set of notes, possibly the last on this topic:

TESTS after installation of Parallels Tools showed it caused both help and hurt:After I had again installed Parallels Tools onto the newly redone Linux VM, the first boot had a non working QTPlasmaC SIM, but a variation on kernel choice and GUI has a working set.

File Attachment:

Last edit: 23 Jan 2023 08:09 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com. Reason: formatting corrections

More
23 Jan 2023 08:20 #262723 by phillc54
I would guess that if you change the kernel then you would also need to install the appropriate headers and then reinstall the parallels tools.

More
23 Jan 2023 08:40 #262724 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

I would guess that if you change the kernel then you would also need to install the appropriate headers and then reinstall the parallels tools.

As far as I can tell from the Parallels website, the only way to get a newer version of Parallels Tools is for their "Parallels Tools Installation Agent" to appear because a newer version became available. There seems to be no way to locate and secure one for a certain targeted version of linux-headers.

More
23 Jan 2023 08:46 #262725 by phillc54
You would use the same parallel tools and reinstall them so they build against the new kernel, that is why you need the same version linux-headers installed as the linux-image.

Another option would be to go into synaptic and remove the linux-image meta package so that the kernel is not upgraded when you do a Linux upgrade.

More
23 Jan 2023 08:51 #262726 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com

You would use the same parallel tools and reinstall them so they build against the new kernel, that is why you need the same version linux-headers installed as the linux-image.

Another option would be to go into synaptic and remove the linux-image meta package so that the kernel is not upgraded when you do a Linux upgrade.

That (building against new kernel) makes sense, but it seems like that is not how the Parallels Tools install works. It's a static ISO that is made available as a virtual CD-ROM, and no matter which kernel you are running when you install the Tools, it keeps wanting to go for a certain kernel. When I am running under 4.19.0-23, it still goes for 4.19.0-17. I'm fairly new regarding Linux, but the options for this seem limited. 

The latter part of what you said may be a workable solution. I may try again later! :-) 

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds