Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

More
14 Nov 2023 02:39 #285330 by mwiktowy
Fair enough ... I will give Geany a try.

I went back and re-imaged just to check if I missed something. There was no network setting menu nor applet when I first booted up ... although my wired connection was configured via DHCP correctly by NetworkManager when I plugged it in.

I checked that the applet was not hidden / not running by default. I also looked in all dropdown menu settings but there just wasn't any way to configure network other than nmtui or menu-config which work, but were not that discoverable.

Which standard network manager option are you referencing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2023 04:52 #285341 by cornholio
XFCE network manager top right hand corner where the network connection is shown.
Attachments:

More
14 Nov 2023 04:58 #285343 by mwiktowy
That was where I was expecting it ... it wasn't there.

Do you know what app is responsible for that icon in the status tray on XFCE? nm-applet wasn't installed and I couldn't determine which XFCE package provides it.

More
14 Nov 2023 05:38 #285346 by cornholio
I’m not too sure.
I know on the image I’ve made it’s there, so I thought rod’s would be the same as well.
I haven’t updated mine since I added the build environment for the Litex-CNC project at about the time rod’s became the “official” image.

We took slightly different routes in the building of the images whilst using the same tools.

More
14 Nov 2023 14:45 #285383 by mwiktowy
I think the official image missed including a NetworkManager status tray applet. There seems to be several options but, contrary to the name, network-manager-gnome seems to list specific compatibility with XFCE and may well be the one that XFCE uses natively and doesn't drag the whole Gnome desktop over with it (see dependencies in the link above).

More
14 Nov 2023 19:05 #285408 by rodw
wifi can be set up using sudo menu-config.

If someone can confirm a working network manager that does not break things, I can look at adding it as some changes are needed.
I did not install the whole xfce4 environment out of kindness to the Pi's resources.

My version needed a bit of hacking to get it working for Andy and 2.9.1 and more changes are required now he has developed an install script for linuxcnc from the linuxcnc repo files.

More
15 Nov 2023 01:06 #285446 by cornholio
Rod,
I think the missing network manager is in the way xfce is installed. I'll have to check but when I've been building my images I use a "more complete" install of xfce. I'll be able to get back later this Arvo after I've done a few odds & bobs.

More
15 Nov 2023 04:32 #285459 by cornholio
Yeah I thought it was this
task-xfce-desktop
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
15 Nov 2023 09:54 #285475 by rodw
I used the meta package packages.debian.org/bookworm/xfce4
task-xfce-desktop is used by tasksel during a normal debian installation (which is not available for the pi). I think it adds some bloatware we don't need.....Does it install open office?  Thats bloatware to me.

More
15 Nov 2023 11:53 #285489 by cornholio
If it does I removed it from the image I’ve made.

Anyways right clicking on the applet identifies it as “NetworkManager Applet” version 1.30.0

I usually boot the image after I’ve created it and do a little bit of “polishing”. Yeah it adds some time as I have to write to the SD card boot and “polish” then read the SD card image and shrink it and zip it up. In all fairness I’m really not making it for a “wider audience”.

Looks like I’ll have my RPi 5 some time tomorrow, unfortunately only a 4GB model as all the 8’s were gone and there was no info about when they’d have stock.
Just hope there’s no issue with the SPI with the linuxcnc driver due to the “southbridge” as they have referrred to the IO chip.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds