Pi4b and Pi5 users - What should go in a 2.9.3 image

More
12 Jul 2024 22:35 #305038 by rodw
Guys, with the release of Linuxcnc 2.9.3 I was going to look at building  new images for the Pi 4b and Pi 5 for the downloads page.
It looks like this will be able to use the 6.6.35 PREMPT_RT kernel. This is because kernel 6.6.35 was merged into the Pi kernel on 21 June 2024.
That is the latest Pi kernel version matching to a PREEMPT_RT patch.
There are also many changes to the build enviironment.

So here is your chance. If there are specific packages you think should be included in the official images, please list them on this thread.
I am still reluctant to include a network manager because of its affect on latency and an alternative method to set your wifi credentials is included.
Setting a fixed IP address is covered in the hm2_eth man page.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2024 01:10 #305040 by cornholio
gvfs-backends, can't remember if that comes std or not. But lets you connect to other computers via all your usual network filesystems, even sftp if the other machine is running ssh (dont ask about windows on that one), but also smb shares.
Midnight commander, great for when you're on the command line and need a file manager, clone of the old Norton Commander, comes with a pretty good editor, imagine dos EDIT on steroids, can also connect to other Linux machines for transferring files.
Rather than jumping on the latest kernel bandwagon, I suggest looking at those available and see which one gives the best all round latency, yes I know that sounds a bit controversial, but you know sometimes I'm a bit odd. ;) It maybe that the 4 & 5 need different versions. Yeah I know not a real pleasant thing to do, and something difficult if you don't have the hardware at hand. But then again if there's only a poofteenth in it, go with whatever is the latest.
Oh and make sure that's stated very clearly in big stonking red letters where the config.txt and cmdline.txt files are. A lot (maybe just some) people assume that just because they are using a RPi that those 2 files are in a different place......the curious ones look at the sud dir of boot, others just give up and create config.txt where the Raspbian OS has it. And for those that have a bit of knowledge, kinds mention whilst the distro is based on Bookworm, the kernel is a Raspberry Pi kernel and supports overlays. A user the other day was under the impression that because it was a bookworm based distro the kernel didn't support overlays, cause the kernel Debian uses doesn't.
If not the case enable the spi interface by default, and maybe disable blue tooth. I usually disable sound, but that's a personal thing.
And on the release page change that bit that SPI is supported on the RPi5, if that hasn't already been fixed.

Another one from left field, since now with the update eeprom you can install an image directly from the net on the RPi5 and 4 this is not possible for this image. It's pretty cool, boot with blank media in the RPI, it connects to a server, downloads the RPi imager and then writes the image you choose from imager's list. I used this method to install Raspbian directly to a NVME ssd on the 5.

Plus it should know what I want to machine and do the CAD & CAM without any inpout from me. ;) (and no cad & cam needs to be installed, it just knows)

More
13 Jul 2024 02:12 #305042 by rodw
Thanks for the feedback.
Notes about the Pi5 and no spi is on the downloads page.
The kernel version is no different to what we have done previously. I page back through the Pi kernel commits from current day until I find where they merge a kernel version that aligns with an RT patch. We clone at that commit. it would be very time consuming to find earlier versions. Kernel 6.6.39 is the latest long term supported kernel but it does not have an RT patch and was not merged into the Pi Kernel so to be at 6.6.35 should be stable for a long time.

I don't think any of the programs you mention are included in the amd64 installer or Debian Bookworm. scp should be available to copy files from the command line to/from other PCs. Can you check it is there?

Can you advise the exact locations (eg. full path) of config.txt and cmdline.txt? 

More
13 Jul 2024 02:26 #305043 by cornholio
Don't have an image to check ATM regarding the paths, had to clear some stuff from my desktop. From memory it should be /boot/broadcom/
You'll be able to check for sure when building.
scp is part of openssh-client deb.

gvfs-backends makes it easier to connect to servers from the file manager.

More
14 Jul 2024 12:55 #305141 by cornholio
Come on guys, Rod's willing to put the effort in.

How about putting some effort in to help.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds