Pi4b and Pi5 users - What should go in a 2.9.3 image

More
21 Jul 2024 02:06 #305742 by cornholio
Whilst I agree with tommy in theory, it can depend on the implementation. Turn wifi off on the Rpi and have a direct direction from one machine (that doesn't have another ethernet deivce connected to an outisde network) and it will be fine.

So far I haven't seen any reports of a Linuxcnc installation being hacked via VNC, nor via ssh.

And honestly a RPi in a commercial setting is just bad, due to it not being certified for industrial use.

If a user wants it and is ready to accept the risks it can be installed after installation, forcing upon users who don't want it or an unaware that it is there is not the right decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2024 02:24 #305743 by DanielWebsterCnc
I have a Mesa 7c81 card that would like to use in the servo mode. I have not been able to get the LinuxCNC Pncconf to complete its configuration to complete. It gets stuck with a python error. I edited the python code to fix some of the errors. I would also prefer to use the raspberry 5 and the 7c81 needs the spi to use the 7c81. For some reason the pi 5 only uses 1 screen. If it’s helpful I have time to test running your updates to provide feedback if you don’t have a full HW test bed to help test the code fixes.

More
21 Jul 2024 05:33 #305746 by rodw

VNC should not be included with official releases, it is a huge security risk.

It won't be 

More
21 Jul 2024 07:52 #305757 by cornholio
7c81 and RPi5 will not work at the current time. The driver needs rewriting and the driver that uses spidev is not suitable.
This situation does not seem to be changing anytime time soon.
The 7c81 product page at Mesa states that the 7c81 will not work with the RPi5.

More
23 Jul 2024 01:15 #305878 by DanielWebsterCnc
In regards to "The 7c81 product page at Mesa states that the 7c81 will not work with the RPi5". I was wondering if the Mesa company writes the driver normally or if the missing support for the RPi5 is something that is part of the LinuxCNC 2.9.3 image?

More
23 Jul 2024 02:07 #305879 by tommylight
As i understand it, it is a RPI manufacturer issue, most probably hardware side of things, as i doubt if software issue it would have been solved by now.
As far as i recall, there are several versions of RPI5 and back then any new version would be crippled by issues for a long time, plenty of videos on youtube about that.
Chip shortage caused a lot of headaches for all manufacturers, but the way RPI owners handled it, is by far the worst way, ignoring issues and waiting for others to fix the issues while they were busy getting rich from the 180$ price tag.
Same ... well much worse, with Intel, blaming everything and everyone while knowingly selling 400-1100$ processors. Millions of it.
Personally, i blame humans for standing that kind of s#it. I do not, vigorously! :)

More
23 Jul 2024 02:09 #305880 by rodw
Becasue there is a new chipset  in the 5, there is as yet no known SPI interface. It that becomes available then one of the developers could look at it if they feel like it :)

More
23 Jul 2024 05:25 #305889 by cornholio
There is an spi interface, it works using the kernel module. Unfortunately going by this route is not fast enough for real-time situations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Jul 2024 22:06 #306284 by rdtsc
Would an RTAI variant be applicable to the Rpi4?  (Not to create more work for you Rod!  But it may be more performant, or no?)

More
28 Jul 2024 22:57 #306291 by cornholio
It would only make sense if you are using GPIO/software stepping. SPI & Ethernet work fine on the RPi4. And honestly there are far better options, performance & price wise than any of the RPi variants. The only plus side is the physical size of the device.

Who's going to take up the mantle of building & testing the kernel ? The x86 variant is not 100% yet. Then there is the issue whether the RPi kernel has a matching RTAI patch. Then the RPi5 would require another kernel to be tested. So yes it would be a hell of a lot of work for rod.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds