Anyone looking at CS3E-D1008 drivers from Leadshine?

More
07 Jan 2023 10:43 #261157 by petervg
I haven't gotten around to installing them yet on the CNC but so far they seem to be working great in my testsetup. They really are a substitute for servos if you don't need to go very high in RPM (2Krpm is a realistic limit for these steppers although I was able to push them up to 3Krpm).

As for cabling: it's massively easier to connect than the mesa cards and I would definitely recommend going for the closed loop steppers. You only need 1 ethernet cable to the first drive and connect the drives together in series using a small ethernet cable.

The drives have some in- and output you can use eliminating the need for the GPIO's on the mesa cards. It's indeed possible to have the drives perform the homing autonomously, but I prefer to forward all in- and outputs to linuxcnc so you have control there. But that's just my preference and does have the drawback of having slightly less accurate homing position. I have a testsetup here with 3 drives/motors/inductive switches and connecting the inductive switch for homing really is just connecting it to input 4 of the drive and reading the IO's over ethercat.

They only drawback to these drives is the quality of the configuration software. It only runs on windows, so reconfiguring the drive requires a windows machine (or a vm) and it has quite a few bugs and untranslated chinese stuff. Software also states is an "alpha release for internal use only". I've contacted leadshine about this and they promised an update last month but haven't received anything yet. But on the other hand, once you configured the drive you do not need the software anymore. Not a showstopper though...

But bottomline: If I had to choose between a setup with the JMC's and the closed loop steppers I tested -> I would without a doubt go for the closed loop steppers.
Mesa has great hardware and I've been using them for years, but the ethercat drives are just sooo much easier to work with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markgonz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2023 15:35 - 07 Jan 2023 15:37 #261172 by Markgonz
Very interesting thanks for the lenghy answer.

My first idea was to get the JMC servos because are cheap and having the integrated drive would result in a smaller control box that I really appreciate, but now discovering about Ethercat the wiring is much simpler and my Omron VFD for the spindle I believe has a Ethercat option module so that's interesting.

Also for my small mill build I don't need crazy speed on the axis but I am looking for accuracy, so after doing some research is not clear to me yet who wins, the servos need tuning and steppers are easier to work with and don't need a brake for Z axis.

In the Marco reps video that he talks about the JMC servos he says that likes them more than the leadshine closed loop steppers, but if speed and torque at higher rpms are not as important I would like to see his opinion then.

So I think in the end considering cost the JMC and mesa route is less money but more work, so we will see..
Last edit: 07 Jan 2023 15:37 by Markgonz.

More
05 Feb 2024 01:38 #292463 by bob8020
In case anyone finds this thread and is considering these drives for EtherCAT...

Ordered D1008 and NEMA34 LeadShine closed loop stepper, followed LinuxCNC EtherCAT crib sheet(s), wired up a home switch to Beckhoff EL1xxx input, made one joint ini & hal, it properly homed the motor.

The LeadShine Windows sw is still beta internal use only. Their servo sw has a pull down to select the motor. The Stepper sw has no motor pulldown. You get a large number of opaque settings. For example, the default for "open or closed loop" on the drive is "2". Not Open or Closed but "2". Error messages are Windows pop-ups in Chinese which don't copy/paste into translate. There is a language choice in the app but it doesn't appear to apply to error messages.

Have any of you LeadShine stepper folks figured out how to configure the driver for a specific motor?

More
05 Feb 2024 04:12 - 05 Feb 2024 04:13 #292483 by pippin88
You could try google translate on a mobile phone using camera function to translate error messages
Last edit: 05 Feb 2024 04:13 by pippin88.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob8020

More
05 Feb 2024 19:27 #292553 by scottlaird
The answer probably lurks in either `ethercat sdos -p <leadshine ID number>` or the ESI file for the CS3E-D1008.

It doesn't look like I managed to add the CS3E series to linuxcnc-ethercat.github.io/esi-data/devices/#Leadshine yet, and I'm not at my LinuxCNC dev machine right now, so I can't really look it up. *Most likely* the Windows software just sets a bunch of 0x2xxx SDOs for resistance, current, etc, using a lookup table in the software, but you can probably get the right values out of Leadshine's datasheets.

I've been working on a generic driver for CiA 402 devices , and I'm keeping Leadshines in mind, but I'm starting with the RTelligent ECT60 first.  It was slightly easier to order than any of the Leadshines :-). There are some generic CiA 402 ways of setting/discussing motors, but I kind of doubt that any of the cheap drivers use them. They look kind of half-done, at least in the 2007 version of the spec that I'm looking at.

More
05 Feb 2024 19:32 #292556 by scottlaird
Also--it looks like "2" is closed-loop and "0" is open loop. See page 20 of the CS3E User Manual (v1.5) on their website. It should help explain a few of the parameters, but probably not everything.

I'm considering picking up a Leadshine 2CS3E-D5xx soonish, to test multi-axis CiA 402 devices, but it probably won't help you this month.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds