EtherCAT System Implementation of JMC Ethercat Servos

More
04 Jul 2023 13:22 #274741 by Smitherman
Hello everyone,I hope this message finds you all well. I'm thrilled to join this Linux CNC forum and be a part of this vibrant community. I recently purchased a CNC mill frame, and I'm eager to share my plans for implementing an EtherCAT system with JMC EtherCAT servo motors.The specific servo motor model I've chosen is the IHSV57-30-18-36-EC. After conducting extensive research, I believe these motors offer the performance and reliability I need for my CNC mill project. I'm particularly interested in leveraging the EtherCAT protocol for its real-time communication capabilities and synchronization potential.

The specific model is:
german.alibaba.com/p-detail/iHSV57-30-18...13.85.770823casJKlCH As a relatively new member to the world of CNC and Linux CNC, I would greatly appreciate any guidance or insights you can provide. If any of you have experience working with EtherCAT systems or JMC EtherCAT servo motors, I'd love to hear about your experiences, recommendations, and any potential challenges I might encounter during the implementation process.I'm particularly interested in topics such as:
  1. Configuration and setup of the EtherCAT network.
  2. Integrating the JMC EtherCAT servo motors with Linux CNC.
  3. Fine-tuning motor parameters and optimizing performance.
  4. Troubleshooting common issues related to EtherCAT implementations.
Your expertise and knowledge would be invaluable to me as I embark on this exciting journey. I look forward to engaging in fruitful discussions and learning from the experienced members of this community.Thank you all in advance for your support and guidance. I'm eager to contribute to the Linux CNC community and share my progress with you all.Best regards,

Smitherman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2023 18:35 #274773 by chris@cnc
Well, i think it would have been more believable you would present what machine you have and where you want to go. At the moment it looks like you are someone from JMC and doing some advertising including fishing for some knowledge and guidance. Correct me if I'm wrong but it smells a bit.
On the subject, no, I do not have ethercat. Find the technology very cool, but too expensive for a hobby machine.
But maybe the seller can help you with instructions and parameters. Unfortunately, my experience with alibaba is that the support ends after you press the buy button. So maybe you can collect some information before you buy and share it with us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smitherman

More
04 Jul 2023 18:52 #274775 by Smitherman
Thank you Chris for the answer and no i someone from JMC
But understandable that it sounded a little bit like it.

So for overwiev what I want to do is to build a CNC Portal Mill with complete Ethercat System; Ethercat because I like the technology and I think it could help me in the future if i have gained a little bit of experience in that field because I am an engineering student.

Therefore I only have a first overview what I want to use:
-the servo motors i mentioned, because they are the cheapest i could find with ethercat and one of my main questions regarding to that, is if a implementation of such a servo is even possible
-a used beckhoff ek1100 --> and other moduls(which I need to choose before that) in connection with parts like the endstops, the VFD for the Spindle (a ATC one) and some other accessories, in the future, maybe even some glass scales but lets see

And for the rest overview what i have in the moment is the frame for the CNC (picture in the attachement)

Cheers, Smitherman

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: chris@cnc

More
04 Jul 2023 18:54 #274776 by Smitherman
What i forgot, its a self build one from another person with very good 16mm ballscrews and Rexroth System

More
04 Jul 2023 20:53 #274787 by chris@cnc
The frame looks very good, but my gut tells me that the servo is a bit too small. and my belly is bigger than my mind. so i believe him. the ek1100 is okay as a master. there is also configuration here in the forum. But installing the servo motors could be an adventure without manuals from the manufacturer. and I don't see any interface to connect a scale. I know with delta servo a2 or a3 version you can connect the scales directly to the amplifier. But jmc isn't documented at all really difficult.

More
05 Jul 2023 07:22 #274813 by Smitherman
Thats why i asked, a little adventure is okay for me as long as i get it to work somehow, i already worked with Servos, but not in Ethercat.
For your info in the before live of that machine there were Nema23 Steppers mounted which worked great and i assume that a 180W servo should fit then.
The scale was only a dream config so if its not working, it is okay.

But the Servos give me a little of a headache

More
05 Jul 2023 08:30 #274815 by pippin88
180w servos will be plenty powerful for that machine

More
05 Jul 2023 08:42 #274816 by besriworld
What you quoted is a bad investment in my opinion. 36v looks like a stepper motor parameter :)
The other option is a dc motor :) . For ethercat devices, the budget option is CTB or Adtech . It is better to buy for a little more money AC servo motor with standard step/direction control. - I think the headaches will be less. ;)

More
05 Jul 2023 10:46 #274818 by rodw
Ethercat has a long learning curve and you are working with 2 different environments EtherCAT and Linuxcnc so it's not always easy.
There is a rash of cheap EtherCAT drive appearing and most of them are undocumented. There is no guarantee you will get them going.
I would not buy any drive unless it was CIA402 compliant because at least there is a standard to follow. As stated 36 volts sounds odd for servos.

Personally, for a first project on a budget, I would look at the Rteligent ECT60 Ethercat Steppers  or their 220 V AC Ethercat servos because they are well documented.

Also be sure you can control your spindle. I think using RS485 modbus spindle control solves some issues. A 0-10 volt interface for spindle control could be expensive (Beckhoff again). You may be able to use PWM with a Rtellgent IO module. Spindle encoders are also a bit of an issue. you really have no choice but to use Beckhof  encoder modules although there are a couple of options but none of them are cheap.

More
05 Jul 2023 11:49 #274821 by Smitherman
Thank you all for that vivid discussion!I already thought about doing it with Steppers, my problem with that is that I want to implement servos, because of its high speed torque and that if i got it to work the price range of these Servos would give a great price-performance ratio.And again I sound like a salesperson

Time to create page: 0.695 seconds