EtherCAT hardware requirements questions

More
19 Jun 2024 21:00 - 19 Jun 2024 22:38 #303383 by CallumRD1
Hello,

I’m in the process of building a small but fast 3-axis mill and have some questions about potentially using LinuxCNC over EtherCAT with it. This is a very conventional design, with just servos and limit switches as necessary inputs/outputs.

I’m going to be using Delta B3 x/y/z axis servos with multi-turn absolute encoders and drivers, which are available in an EtherCAT configuration. I’m also going to be using a servo for the spindle motor, but it will be a different brand with an encoder and a normal driver, not EtherCAT.

My three primary questions:
  1. If I decide to run the EtherCAT versions of the Delta B3 servos, what additional hardware would I need to get to be able to control a single non-EtherCAT spindle servo?
  2. What configuration/setup issues can I expect to run into with this hardware? Is this a reasonable configuration that should be fairly well supported, or am I on the edge and can expect a bunch of tinkering to get it all working?
  3. Are there any reasons to think that I may not be able to use real-time encoder data for the four servos for things like rigid tapping?

Thank you in advance for any help you’re able to give me.

Callum
Last edit: 19 Jun 2024 22:38 by CallumRD1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2024 07:32 #303401 by pippin88
Step/dir for spindle servo?

Why not ethercat servo for the spindle?

Ethercat servos cost a bit more but mean you don't have to pay for other interface hardware

More
20 Jun 2024 14:45 #303420 by blazini36
Kind of putting yourself in a tough spot. You don't need a motion controller with EtherCAT drives so having 1 non-EtherCAT drive will require you so have something for just that drive.

If you're doing EtherCAT you should go all-in.

More
20 Jun 2024 14:51 #303421 by CallumRD1
The only reason for the non ethercat spindle servo is because I already have one. It’s a 3.7 kW 12k rpm servo at 400 Hz.

I suppose I could look into getting an ethercat driver that could run it, but that’s not something I’ve looked into and would add considerable expense.

More
20 Jun 2024 14:59 #303423 by Aciera
Generally it seems possible running EtherCAT and MESA hardware in parallel:
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ards-question#212649

More
20 Jun 2024 21:36 #303448 by rodw
You might be able to use an ethercat step/dir module. Beckhoff have one. There are plenty of others

More
21 Jun 2024 07:31 #303474 by zmrdko
or maybe modbus, if you dont want to spend for another vfd.

More
21 Jun 2024 07:34 #303475 by zmrdko
Also maybe you can try to control vfd over arduino which you can hook up via EtherCAT.

www.bausano.net/en/hardware/easycat.html

More
21 Jun 2024 07:57 - 21 Jun 2024 08:00 #303476 by GuiHue
Some thoughts on the options above:
- EtherCAT and Mesa: Will work fine. Could be an option if you don't have EtherCAT interfaces for DI DO yet
- Arduino/ Bausano EasyCAT: Having realized a 64DI 64 DO + xxx Slave with this approach, I can confirm that it is viable, but it gets you deep into tinkering territory.
- Modbus: Seems to be one of the most sensible options. A USB to Serial Stick isn't too expensive and mb2hal will you get pretty much everywhere. Not suitable for RT control as far as I know, but this may not be necessary.
- A Driver that supports EtherCAT and works with CIA402 would be quite simple to get to work.

@rodw: I was not aware of an ELxxxx Card that does pulse generation. Do you mean e.g. EL2521? Looks like there is an lcec driver for this, but I am not sure how it works. Could be a bit of an adventure;).
Last edit: 21 Jun 2024 08:00 by GuiHue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zmrdko

More
22 Jun 2024 02:52 #303528 by rodw
If you have a VFD, modbus (which I used with ethercat), or PWM from Rtelligent IO module, 

@GuiHue, EL7041 is also an option but it includes an input for 48 Volt power for stepper motors.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds