Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
07 Feb 2013 20:35 - 08 Feb 2013 02:24 #29760 by tjamscad

If it's simple substitution - Linxcnc can run a filter program before running the Gcode. (Someone would need to write this)Chris M

It might really be that easy. Tell me where to start and I will see what I can do.

From the Fadal Programing manual:
These codes may be used for fixture offset locations E1 - E6. Specify a G54 code to
access fixture offset number 1, a G55 code for number 2, and up to a G59 code for
number 6. For fixture offsets after number 6, the E words must be used.
These codes are supported for compatibility and can be used in both format one and
two.

What does LinuxCNC do about pallet changers. We have 3 machines with pallet changers and they seem to have an almost unlimited number of offsets. But with the RS274NGC you only get 48 unless I'm wrong.

I'm Sorry to get so off track.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 02:24 by tjamscad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2013 23:53 - 07 Feb 2013 23:58 #29763 by karlkec

Why wouldn't a machine with an auto tool change asumme the tool at shutdown is still there?
I mean yes it's possible to take it out but that would be unusual to do without the rest of the machine running.

I would think it makes sense to assume the tool is the same on start up and if it isn't, the operator must issue the proper command to fix it. (which should be unusual)

and I can't understand why it would crash the tool if you issue a T5 if T5 is already there. waste of time maybe but why crash?
I could also see it get out of sequence if it's a random toolchanger.

For us the tool changer is an add-on, not made by the machine manufacturer. It's full of logic gates and relays, not a lot of smarts. The changer has an auto/manual switch, and no encoder on the carousel. The operator can switch it to manual at any time, then move the carousel without the software knowing about it. This is the normal process when loading tools for a program, so it happens that the software doesn't know where the carousel is.

For that reason the carousel homes itself when the changer is asked to do the first tool change after turn on, or if it was switched to manual prior to any change request. If there's a tool in the spindle and it needs to home the carousel it must put the tool into the carousel before homing, and it will crash if the carousel isn't positioned with an empty pocket to put that tool into. An encoder on the carousel, or bar codes, or RFID would fix all this. Yes there are lots of rules, but not too hard for operators to understand once they see how it works.

For us it doesn't help to save the tool number between boots, since the operator would usually defeat that when loading tools.

Karl
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 23:58 by karlkec.

More
08 Feb 2013 03:53 #29768 by tjamscad

1) 2) you switch coord. systems (you see the current system in the upper right, beside the tool number) then untoggle the system button It then stays in that system. Then you can do what ever you want. Of course if you run a program that sets the system to something else if will end up in that system. How does Fanuc controls allow the operator to select user systems in manual mode? Chris

2. I am not sure I have ever noticed them doing that. I will check and see normally the cordante system stays the same. i will double check tomorrow.

Chris,

I have talked to the shop superviosor and changeing the corrndant system of the machine is not something we do. We set a zero on the fixture and then change the tool offs-set for adjustments if needed.

More
08 Feb 2013 05:54 #29774 by cmorley

1) 2) you switch coord. systems (you see the current system in the upper right, beside the tool number) then untoggle the system button It then stays in that system. Then you can do what ever you want. Of course if you run a program that sets the system to something else if will end up in that system. How does Fanuc controls allow the operator to select user systems in manual mode? Chris

2. I am not sure I have ever noticed them doing that. I will check and see normally the cordante system stays the same. i will double check tomorrow.

Chris,

I have talked to the shop superviosor and changeing the corrndant system of the machine is not something we do. We set a zero on the fixture and then change the tool offs-set for adjustments if needed.

Well that seems odd as the program you just posted with E1 is G54, so I would assume that the program must change E1 to something else?
And if it does then how does the operator preset these offsets?

This is coordinate systems - looks like you call them fixture offsets - same thing.

Anyways that's why system button is there - if you don't use them that's ok.

More
08 Feb 2013 05:59 #29775 by cmorley

If it's simple substitution - Linxcnc can run a filter program before running the Gcode. (Someone would need to write this)Chris M

It might really be that easy. Tell me where to start and I will see what I can do.

From the Fadal Programing manual:
These codes may be used for fixture offset locations E1 - E6. Specify a G54 code to
access fixture offset number 1, a G55 code for number 2, and up to a G59 code for
number 6. For fixture offsets after number 6, the E words must be used.
These codes are supported for compatibility and can be used in both format one and
two.

What does LinuxCNC do about pallet changers. We have 3 machines with pallet changers and they seem to have an almost unlimited number of offsets. But with the RS274NGC you only get 48 unless I'm wrong.

I'm Sorry to get so off track.

I'm looking for a simple example of a filter program - I know someone posted one to change D to A or something like that.

linuxcnc doesn't handle pallet changers AFAICT - None of the developers has a pallet machine AFAIK.

Chris M

More
08 Feb 2013 06:32 #29778 by cmorley

More
14 Feb 2013 11:57 #30053 by cmorley
Any updates ?

I almost miss all the requests for changes :)

Chris M

More
14 Feb 2013 20:02 #30055 by emcPT
The moderator should consider to move this post to its own category, It seams that there a lot of people interested (including me) and it is hard to navigate in so many posts.
My opinion:

Gscreen -> Current status
Gscreen -> Sample screens (this will push a lot of new people to linuxcnc, like the original poster wanted!)
Gscreen -> Requests
Gscreen -> .....

But maybe Mr Cmorley should decide what to include.
Good work!

More
14 Feb 2013 23:41 #30059 by karlkec

Any updates ?
I almost miss all the requests for changes :)

OK I'll bite.

There seems to be room around the spinbox (now at the bottom). Could there be a button to bring up the calculator entry number pad? Double-clicking with the touchpad is not easy, and for people with large fingers almost impossible.

One of the rules I've heard for panel layout, which I'm sure applies to touchscreen layout: if the panel is somewhere near eye level (which ours is), pushbuttons should be below it so one's arm doesn't cover the screen while pressing buttons. In a way I like having the buttons at the top, but I do have to look around my arm when pressing the buttons. I'm not saying I want the buttons back on the bottom, just throwing this out for discussion.

Karl

More
15 Feb 2013 00:16 - 15 Feb 2013 00:18 #30060 by BigJohnT
I don't know why anyone would want touch screen buttons on top or left or right so you have to block your view and raise your arm up over your shoulder (bad) to press a button on the screen... but what the heck do I know? The human resource people would be all over you for bad ergonomics for sure.

John
Last edit: 15 Feb 2013 00:18 by BigJohnT.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds