Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry pi 3)

16 Nov 2023 08:34

Comparison between Raspian 12 Bookworm on Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 5

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

Man I'm having a hell of a time getting an real time kernel to boot on my RPi5, any chance of sharing your image ?

rpi-image-builder was no good either
15 Nov 2023 11:53

Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

If it does I removed it from the image I’ve made.

Anyways right clicking on the applet identifies it as “NetworkManager Applet” version 1.30.0

I usually boot the image after I’ve created it and do a little bit of “polishing”. Yeah it adds some time as I have to write to the SD card boot and “polish” then read the SD card image and shrink it and zip it up. In all fairness I’m really not making it for a “wider audience”.

Looks like I’ll have my RPi 5 some time tomorrow, unfortunately only a 4GB model as all the 8’s were gone and there was no info about when they’d have stock.
Just hope there’s no issue with the SPI with the linuxcnc driver due to the “southbridge” as they have referrred to the IO chip.
15 Nov 2023 09:54

I used the meta package packages.debian.org/bookworm/xfce4
task-xfce-desktop is used by tasksel during a normal debian installation (which is not available for the pi). I think it adds some bloatware we don't need.....Does it install open office?  Thats bloatware to me.
15 Nov 2023 04:09

Hypertherm powermax 85

Category: General LinuxCNC Questions

Hello all,
Im new here and have some questions and hoping I can be pointed in the right direction.
I will be building a cnc table for a plasma cutter. I have never built anything like this and the only similar experience I have is with a ender3 3d printer and a reprap years ago. So little experience with arduino and little with raspberry pi4. 
From the research I have done I think I want to stay away from Mach3 and use linuxcnc. I would like to run it off if a pi4 and it appears I need the Mesa 7c81 board to make this. I’ve only been reading forums and watching videos the last two days on Linuxcnc and the mess 7c81 and there isn’t much in the 7c81. 
Where is the best place for me to start on what and how to get the pi and the mesa set up and do I need any other board between that and the stepper drivers? Has anyone here made a plasma cutter with this configuration? If so would you be willing to share pictures and information.

waiting to hear back from you guys.

ET
15 Nov 2023 01:06

Rod,
I think the missing network manager is in the way xfce is installed. I'll have to check but when I've been building my images I use a "more complete" install of xfce. I'll be able to get back later this Arvo after I've done a few odds & bobs.
15 Nov 2023 00:27

LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Mines on its way now......to Asutpost being Austpost it may get here just before the sun goes out.
14 Nov 2023 19:05

wifi can be set up using sudo menu-config.

If someone can confirm a working network manager that does not break things, I can look at adding it as some changes are needed.
I did not install the whole xfce4 environment out of kindness to the Pi's resources.

My version needed a bit of hacking to get it working for Andy and 2.9.1 and more changes are required now he has developed an install script for linuxcnc from the linuxcnc repo files.
14 Nov 2023 18:07
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Damn, they said nobody would have one untill after Christmas!
Hopefully its just a matter of changing the board to build for the pi5 when building the image as shown here
github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...-2.9.1/build-lcnc.sh
It may just need to be set to BCM2712 Ref: www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/
I will check in with upstream.

14 Nov 2023 15:17
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Are you uing the img from the Linuxcnc downloads page? That is now the best image

The image in linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.9.1-bookworm-rpi4.img.xz does not work with the Raspberry Pi 5

14 Nov 2023 14:45

I think the official image missed including a NetworkManager status tray applet. There seems to be several options but, contrary to the name, network-manager-gnome seems to list specific compatibility with XFCE and may well be the one that XFCE uses natively and doesn't drag the whole Gnome desktop over with it (see dependencies in the link above).
14 Nov 2023 12:07
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Are you uing the img from the Linuxcnc downloads page? That is now the best image
14 Nov 2023 10:22

RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

The Pi has a new kernel 6.54 and also today a RT patch has become available for it
New commit number is: fad58933544bb2a7b7db92847c25c79a83171fa6

More work!
in this link you will find the description of my experience on the recent Raspbian 12

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...aspberry-pi-5#285240

As I noted in your thread, advancing past the PREEMPT_RT 6.1.54 kernel is not recommended because none of the later kernels have been merged into the Raspberry mainline kernel code. 
14 Nov 2023 10:17

Comparison between Raspian 12 Bookworm on Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 5

The offical installer needs a bit of work right now as it predates the availability of the install script from linuxcnc you use.
Nobody could give me a repository to use at the time so it downloads the debs from the repo and installs them.
Andy then wrote the installer script you use and I started on updating the AMD64 live installer.
I intend to redo it to follow the linuxcnc script install as this will mean it can be updated with Debian 12
My final updates to the linux AMD64 ISO build were committed today so I should have time to do this shortly.

I think the linuxcnc installer I wrote follows pretty much the same method as your build script from the pi forum. The difference is that we clone the Raspberry Linux  source at the specific commit the RT patch is merged into their mainline rpi-6.1.y branch.
github.com/raspberrypi/linux
This ensures that the kernel exactly matches the RT patch at kernel.org mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/6.1/
The RT patch is placed in this folder github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...nc-2.9.1/userpatches

We last did this at the 6.1.54 merge on commit fad58933544bb2a7b7db92847c25c79a83171fa6
I did note the 6.1.59 RT patch was released. I can find the commit creating Raspberry's 6.1.59 branch but I cannot see where it (or later branches) was merged into their mainline. So I can't recommend advancing past the current 6.1.54 RT patch.
The commit number is easilly set in userdata.txt  here github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...ata.txt#L26C9-L26C49
Also, we do set the same kernel commands as you use here github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...rscripts/uscripts#L6

And finally, we install XFCE and other extras in the same way described in the linuxcnc docs you referred to which I wrote.

But all in all, I doubt its a good idea to do an apt update in case the kernel us upgraded, breaking our RT patch. Maybe its OK as the kernel is pure Raspberry and nothing that Debian knows about.

I do know from my own experience is if the kernel version gets too far ahead of the RT patch (even by a few days I found), the system becomes unstable
Displaying 931 - 945 out of 1059 results.
Time to create page: 1.901 seconds