Can the OPI5 be Configured to Run LCNC?

More
29 Sep 2023 14:22 #281860 by echristley
Well, that almost went well.
I ran out and hooked my phone up. USB Tethering was grayed out as an option, so I verified it would work on my Mac. It worked. After some investigation I found out I needed to install "g_ether" to use USB Tethering on Armbian. But, I don't have g_ether on the machine. And it appears that g_ether is now "legacy"?
Any idea on how I can get an OPi5 to recognize a USB tethered phone as a network interface?
Anyway, I finally got frustrated in broke down the mills electronic enclosure to pull the computer and bring it inside. Used apt-get to install python3-scipy, python3-numpy, linuxcnc-uspace-dev, and python3-qt5.
Are there any other packages that I should consider loading while I have it network connected?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2023 22:25 #281957 by royka
I hate this forum, wrote a lot, press "Submit", session is expired and everything is gone.
Anyway, I've tested it on the OPi5 with LinuxCNC and that doesn't work indeed, it did work on my other installation. I believe that g_ether is meant to tether from Linux to another device. The easiest solution would be to use an USB WiFi dongle in the OPi5 and setup a hotspot on your phone.
Otherwise recompile the kernel with the RNDIS drivers enabled. Or if your Mac is a Macbook, perhaps you could share the RNDIS connection from your phone over LAN to the OPi5.
Which packages you would need later is hard to predict.

More
02 Oct 2023 13:46 - 04 Dec 2023 18:48 #282063 by Bari
Yes, we feel your pain. This forum editor is garbage, but was chosen long ago and now we are stuck with it. The admin with access rights to change it has also disappeared over the years.

forum.linuxcnc.org/36-using-this-forum-q...-f-king-forum-editor
Last edit: 04 Dec 2023 18:48 by Bari. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: royka

More
24 Nov 2023 22:10 #286432 by jsg001

I wanted to add another data point for the community.  This is....
() orangepi 5 plus (not using hdmi, but rather remote with 'ssh -X'.  I've not see that make much difference from being on the head)
() kernel: github.com/Joshua-Riek/linux.git branch v6.6-rk3588-hdmi with patch-6.6-rt15.patch
() linuxcnc from raspberrypi iso
() cmdline: idle=poll isolcpus=4,5
() latency-histogram --sbinsize 400 --show (with 10 glxgear and misc other commands being run)
() rtapi_app:T#[01] assigned to cpus 4 and 5, respectively (manual reassignment of threads for testing) 
     >> ps -T -eo pid,tid,class,rtprio,ni,pri,psr,pcpu,stat,wchan:14,comm | grep rtapi

1614    1614 TS       -   0  19   6  8.4 SLsl -              rtapi_app
        1614    1615 TS       -   0  19   7  0.1 SLsl -              rtapi_app:mesg
        1614    1616 FF      98   - 138   4  8.1 SLsl -              rtapi_app:T#0
        1614    1617 FF      97   - 137   5  0.2 SLsl -              rtapi_app:T#1
     >> sudo taskset -cp 4 1616
     >> sudo taskset -cp 5 1617
cpus 4-7 appear to be the faster A76 cores; there seems to be a noticeable speed improvement over cores 0-3. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: royka, cornholio

More
04 Dec 2023 07:25 - 04 Dec 2023 07:26 #287172 by kmike
Dear Royka,

first of all, thank You for the images! Works perfect, I get about 4µs jitter on my OPI5.

I just cannot get around one problem:
if I enable the lcd1 and/or opi5plus-lcd overlay, the OPI5 does not boot anymore.
It makes no difference, if I do it by hand or with armbian-config.
Also tried "compiling" them by hand with dtc, does not work either

Do I need to enable any other overlay, or add some extra args?

Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 04 Dec 2023 07:26 by kmike.

More
04 Dec 2023 09:38 #287175 by kmike
I think, I found my answer, the kernel version used does not have support for DRM_PANEL_INNOLUX_AFJ101_BA2131

More
04 Dec 2023 12:48 #287186 by royka
@kmike Yeah that might be something, if you choose to compile your kernel either way I would consider to use this source:
github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-orange...ge-pi-5.10-rk35xx-rt

My initial thought was that the overlay was incomplete because the overlay for the normal OPi 5 also disables a HDMI port. But I'm not sure if that's necessary with the plus. You would need the right kernel module either way indeed.

Ps. I have not tested the above source, but it is more updated

More
05 Dec 2023 10:55 #287249 by kmike
Thanks for that source, I was already wondering how to do the RT patch.

The bad news is, I have changed the git source in the ambian build system to the Xunlong RT kernel, but it only trows a compile error :(
Also armbian keeps patching in some Realtek WLAN drivers, that I can't get rid of...

The overlays for the LCDs for the OPI5 are mixed up in relation to the silkscreen on the board, so if the display is connected to LCD1, the overlay LCD2 has to be enabled...
Even if I remove the HDMI disable part from the overlay, HDMI does not work after enabling the LCD, probably a multiplexing or routing issue. Have to investigate this after getting an RT kernel with LCD support to work, altough this is not that important for me

I don't have a OPI5 Plus, so I cannot test it

More
05 Dec 2023 11:43 #287256 by royka
Perhaps compiling without the Armbian build system will be easier in this case.
git clone https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-orangepi.git -b orange-pi-5.10-rk35xx-rt
cd linux-orangepi
make menuconfig --> load your current config from /boot --> add display module --> exit/save
make -j$(nproc)
sudo make modules_install
sudo make install

After installing the kernel it might be that the symlinks aren't correct in /boot
ls -ltr /boot  will show you the newest files at the end. When necessary, force overwrite new symlinks like for example:
sudo ln -sf vmlinuz-5.10.180-rk35xx-rt vmlinuz.

More
05 Dec 2023 22:33 #287319 by royka
This is the result with the 5.10.160 rt-kernel of Orange Pi. I was able to compile it with the config in the attachment. Afterwards you'll need to copy the compiled DTB manually to /boot/dtb/rockchip otherwise it won't boot.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds