Can the OPI5 be Configured to Run LCNC?

More
05 Dec 2023 22:39 #287321 by cornholio
That is really impressive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2023 13:48 #287443 by kmike
@royka:
Thanks for your config, works great!

After a lot of work and patching, I could get the Xunlong RT kernel to compile in the armbian build system
Now I can compile on my somewhat fast PC and get a bootable image out of it.
Even the "official" OPI5 10.1" display works. :-)

I still have to do some customizations to the build system (add LCNC, display rotation script, etc. to the image) and check why the HDMI output does not work when enabling the display...

If anyone needs the patch for the armbian build system, let me know
Attachments:

More
07 Dec 2023 14:23 - 07 Dec 2023 14:32 #287445 by royka
Great to hear you've got it working!
Perhaps the DP output via USB-C will work, but keep in mind that you cannot use the vertical USB port when you use the USB-C port.

Although you don't use the base thread when you use a hardware stepgen I wonder why yours is a bit higher, because my result was after I opened
Chromium with YouTube first (also an OPi5 instead of the plus in contrast of what the screenshot shows). Perhaps you ran it from a SD or without cooling? Anyway when you'll use a hardware controller over ethernet you might wanna look some of the previous messages about moving the IRQ of the ethernet controller.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2023 14:32 by royka.

More
07 Dec 2023 14:40 #287450 by kmike
The OPi is cooled, but I am still using my (old and pretty slow) SD card.
Currently the CPU is 66°C warm (don't know if that is already too much)
I will try installing the system to my SATA SSD, and try again

I plan to use my own FPGA card with the machine, but that is a story for another post or thread...

More
07 Dec 2023 15:20 #287451 by royka
That might make the difference then but when you use it with a FPGA you won't use it anyway. 66 degrees is not very hot.

Finally I was able to make a PWM fan work correctly with the OPi5 so if you would like to use a PWM fan with it you can use  

File Attachment:

File Name: pwmfan-dtb...pi-5.zip
File Size:43 KB

The PWM13 is used 

Attachments:

More
07 Dec 2023 22:55 #287496 by cornholio

The OPi is cooled, but I am still using my (old and pretty slow) SD card.
Currently the CPU is 66°C warm (don't know if that is already too much)
I will try installing the system to my SATA SSD, and try again

I plan to use my own FPGA card with the machine, but that is a story for another post or thread...

What platform are you basing your FPGA design on ?
I've been kinda lazy and just using the hostmot2 sources with various Spartan 6 FPGA boards.

More
11 Dec 2023 10:34 - 11 Dec 2023 12:45 #287836 by kmike
Sorry for the late reply, the last days where very busy

Hardware and software data for the attached latency diagram:
- Orange Pi 5, 8GB RAM
- 256GB NVME SSD
  - had to replace the SATA SSD, latency was terrible. In my opinion a SATA SSD is absolutely not recommended for LCNC with the OPI5
- boot: cma=128M idle=poll isolcpus=5,7
- overlays: lcd1
- "end1" IRQ moved to core 5
- kernel: 5.10.160-rt89, config is from royka with some minor changes
- Armbian Bookworm + Xorg + XFCE4 + LCNC 2.9.1 form the LCNC website
- 6 glxgears
- network traffic of about 65MBit/s generated with a test script (send and receive TCP and UDP + a ping flood to my PC)

I did not open a Youtube video, as the support for Xorg was dropped by ARM in 2019, so Xorg is using fbcon driver without any hardware acceleration. Playing a Youtube video basically immediately overloads the whole system (over 160% load with just 1 glxgears), thats why I have made a primitive script to do HTTP GET, UDP TX/RX and a ping flood with my PC. This way I got 60-70 MBits/s traffic on the network adapter.

@Cornholio:
I am using a Gowin GW2A FPGA with a custom board (6x analog out, 2x analog in, 6x step/dir outputs, 6x encoder in, 27 sinking 24V digital inputs, 27 push-pull-float digital outpus, dedicated limit switches and home input for all 6 axis), with the HAL driver and Verilog done from almost scratch. Communication is over UDP. It is very much a work in progress (even missing a watchdog, thats the next to-do) so no public sources at the moment. I just got fed up with the unavailability of the Mesa cards in Europe, thats why I started my own design with parts easily sourced from Mouser and Farnell
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Dec 2023 12:45 by kmike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
11 Dec 2023 10:55 #287840 by cornholio
Just being a civvy labourer I'm not all that versed in fpga's and stuff. I've got just enough nounce to modify stuff.

What I'd be really interested in is porting the hostmot2 firmware to non xilinx platforms, whilst still being able to use the hostmot2 linuxcnc drivers.

More
11 Dec 2023 11:26 #287846 by kmike
@Cornholio:
On the linuxcnc side of things, I am heavily relying on the hostmot2 drivers, as there is no need to reinvent the wheel, I got used to it, and also makes my life easier :-)
The hardware is very different from the Mesa cards (example: Mesa analog out uses PWM, I use an SPI DAC), but I want to stay as close to hostmot2 as possible. If everything goes according to plan, only the setup part and the outputs (Mesa:SSR vs. half-bride on my board) should be different.

@royka: I will test your PWM overlay with an oscilloscope, as I have only a cheap 5V fan on my heat sink at the moment. I am curious how you did it in an overlay :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
13 Dec 2023 19:31 - 13 Dec 2023 19:39 #288066 by kmike
If anyone wants to play around with the image, it can be downloaded here:

mega.nz/file/UCMhiZgZ#Qdg-e3CaQBDQXQ0rN3...dNJfphJSckes99q7FAR8

for Orange Pi 5
5.10.160-rt89 Xunlong kernel, with the config from royka + added support for the "official" 10" display
Armbian Bookworm + Xorg+ Xfce4

At least isolcpus=5,7 has to be added to the bootargs for a decent latency
Last edit: 13 Dec 2023 19:39 by kmike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: royka

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds