Can the OPI5 be Configured to Run LCNC?

More
23 Jun 2023 18:50 #274158 by echristley
I was thinking, when I ran my long latency test, I got some strange outlier interrupts when I did it with youtube running in the background. Youtube would have been running over the internet.

I'm thinking it worthwhile to bring the machine back in (not internet access in the workshop) to rerun the test with Youtube and the IRQ affinity set.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2023 09:43 #274168 by royka
I've seen that too while playing a yt video in the background. It looked like the video froze while it was out of sight and filling up the memory, the moment I made the window active it catched up and that seemed to cause the latency.

If you had the same issue I don't expect that the IRQ affinity will help. Playing yt works fine as long as you pause the video before you bring it to the background. Perhaps the newer kernel or updating mpp will fix it.

More
26 Jun 2023 21:39 - 26 Jun 2023 21:47 #274284 by echristley

I had to bring the Control Box back in for some rework anyway, so I put it back to the latency test for an overnight run.  isolcpus=4,5,6,7 and "f0" in the smp_affinity.  Six glxgears, and a browser playing YouTube videos.  Left it running all night and all day.
The previous large outliers are gone, so I think I can safely rely on 15us for latency, with the correct IRQ correction command in rc.local

Also, even with all the large cores dedicated to the rt threads, the UI was still plenty responsive.
Also again, @royka 4,5,6,7 worked much better than 2,4,5,6
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2023 21:47 by echristley.

More
26 Jun 2023 22:38 #274286 by echristley
I added the affinity commands to /etc/rc.local, but they aren't getting picked up.

More
27 Jun 2023 01:17 #274290 by echristley
Fixed it.

Put "sleep 10" on a line before the echo commands. It appears that /proc hasn't been created by the time rc.local gets run. sleeping for 10 seconds gives it time, and I can't log in that fast anyhow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: royka

More
27 Jun 2023 02:19 - 27 Jun 2023 02:20 #274292 by rodw
rc.local is obsolete. Have a look at this article which describes how to use rc.loacal and also how to do it with system.d which should avoid the need to sleep

linuxhint.com/use-etc-rc-local-boot/
Last edit: 27 Jun 2023 02:20 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: echristley

More
27 Jun 2023 22:07 #274337 by echristley
Yeah. I looked at that. No thanks.

I'm not prone to using a jack hammer to drive brad nails. :-)

Tonight the job is to figure out why my encoders don't work. I got a hunch last night that is is because I'm using wire that is too thin.

More
27 Jun 2023 22:30 #274339 by tommylight
-Did you add "exit 0" to the end of rc.local?
-did you make it executable?
-
It is obsolete, but most distros will still use it if there is something there, so not gone yet. If it is there and is empty, it will work for sure. If it is missing, it will require a bit more "convincing" to make it work.

More
28 Jun 2023 15:06 #274397 by echristley
It's there and works. Just had to add a short pause so that /proc could be created before writing to the files there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Jun 2023 15:33 #274402 by tommylight
Nice, thank you.

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds