Can the OPI5 be Configured to Run LCNC?

More
18 Aug 2023 01:16 #278317 by royka
Great!

The armhf deb package installs it to /usr/bin/ so you could place it there or /usr/local/bin/
The following user(s) said Thank You: echristley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2023 20:50 #278570 by echristley

I want to thank all you guys for helping me get this old mill running.  I posted my configuration files in the HAL Examples folder, but this Boss3 is officially a LinuxCNC mill.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, royka

More
08 Sep 2023 07:13 #280250 by Donno
@royka can you please post your complete build instructions ? Image not working on my Orange Pi 5

More
08 Sep 2023 07:53 #280256 by royka
@Donno Can you be more specific?
Which image have you tried? What does not work?

In case you've tried one of these images:
mega.nz/folder/78Z3UbRD#Pl8DdWmxLF3CDma21An8gQ

You would need to edit the dtb name in armbianEnv.txt
fdtfile=rockchip/rk3588-orangepi-5-plus.dtb
to
fdtfile=rockchip/rk3588-orangepi-5.dtb

And optional add this line:
extraargs="isolcpus=5,7"

With the Bookworm image you can install LinuxCNC with apt and for Jammy : mega.nz/file/ChwzHZiL#1ItFvunImetNeGEaZu...HPr1BxgGxswiw8_WtTJE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donno

More
08 Sep 2023 14:23 #280275 by echristley
I was trying to get Verser's probe screen working with gmoccapy last night. It was too hot out there for me to try for long, but it was throwing errors in gladevcp, I think.
I'll work on it more tonight.

More
23 Sep 2023 22:04 #281508 by echristley
Word to the wise: LinuxCNC has a base presumption that all computers are network connected. This breaks things in spectacular fashion once you embed your newly configured into a big machine tool in a shop with no network access, and then you want to improve your installation. For instance you want to install Versa Probe or maybe QtDragon. Then you'll find that you don't have needed Python packages installed (I got numpy and scipy, but I'm blocked on PyQT5. . . and I had to break the system package manager to get that), or you'll need an additional tool, like halcompile.

The quick answer is 'apt-get install', but that doesn't work when the network is down (permanently). With just sneaker-net, it looks like I'll have to use my touch probe in manual mode.

More
23 Sep 2023 22:29 #281510 by rodw
Life would become easier if you grabbed a couple of ubiquiti nanostations and built  a wireless bridge to your workshop. These are cheap PoE radio Devices that come with a power injector so they just need a network cable  to them. In your workshop, attach a wifi router inside your workshop. We ran a 800m link this way for years...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari

More
23 Sep 2023 22:39 #281512 by Bari
Yup, updates are over a network or sneakernet and local repo similar to this

askubuntu.com/questions/170348/how-to-cr...local-apt-repository

www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-offline/

More
23 Sep 2023 23:17 #281513 by tommylight

Word to the wise: LinuxCNC has a base presumption that all computers are network connected. This breaks things in spectacular fashion once you embed your newly configured into a big machine tool in a shop with no network access, and then you want to improve your installation.

LinuxCNC does not require internet ever after initial installation, the other projects you want to use do, so checking beforehand if those projects are included with LinuxCNC would save you a lot of time and grief.
So, other projects require internet, do not blame LinuxCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
25 Sep 2023 21:20 #281616 by royka
If you've got an Android phone, most of them has the option to share internet over USB and it will come up as an Ethernet adapter. Or setup a WiFi hotspot and plugin a Wifi USB adapter

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds