Can't save file to samba share

More
01 Jul 2020 22:01 #173346 by andypugh

[ edit: One possible workaround - although I couldn't find anything in the docs... I know Axis is supposed to be able to use vi - Is there any way to use an alternative editor with Gmoccapy? ]

In general the GUIs use the editor specified by [DISPLAY] EDITOR.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-co...tml#_display_section

It's probably worth a try.

Keep flapping about and you will get there. I had never coded in C or Python (or much at all) until I decided that I wanted a feature that the existing Mesa drivers didn't support. Now I a peering in a puzzled sort of way at disassembly of buggy kerrnel modules trying to work out why LinuxCNC and RTAI crashes ever few hours on Buster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2020 23:06 #173358 by tommylight

.......... trying to work out why LinuxCNC and RTAI crashes ever few hours on Buster.

FIY, installed that yesterday on an older HP dual core Athlon on Mint 19.3 with Mate, works like a charm and the latency is below 20K at all times.
So thank you for the hard work in making that work.

More
01 Jul 2020 23:44 #173364 by andypugh

[quote="andypugh" post=173346LinuxCNC and RTAI crashes ever few hours on Buster.

FIY, installed that yesterday on an older HP dual core Athlon on Mint 19.3 with Mate, works like a charm[/quote]

Yes, it seems stable when up. But sometimes crashes on load or unload.

More
02 Jul 2020 02:11 #173371 by Bats
Replied by Bats on topic Can't save file to samba share

In general the GUIs use the editor specified by [DISPLAY] EDITOR.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-co...tml#_display_section

Sadly this looks like another of those times when Gmoccapy decided to go its own way. I'd actually tried that, before I (belatedly) got around to reading the next sentence in the docs:

"EDITOR = gedit - The editor to use when selecting File > Edit to edit the G code from the AXIS menu. This must be configured for this menu item to work. Another valid entry is gnome-terminal -e vim. This entry does not apply to gmoccapy, as gmoccapy has an integrated editor. "

It's especially frustrating, because the default editor in Axis doesn't have this problem.

Keep flapping about and you will get there. I had never coded in C or Python (or much at all) until I decided that I wanted a feature that the existing Mesa drivers didn't support. Now I a peering in a puzzled sort of way at disassembly of buggy kerrnel modules trying to work out why LinuxCNC and RTAI crashes ever few hours on Buster.

I followed a similar path - and then moved on from programming to working as a linux admin. But I eventually left both behind, and, frankly, was much happier for it.

At this point in my life I'm far more interested in having a working CNC machine than I am in having a new pet coding project, so if I don't manage to flap my way to a solution in the next day or so, I'm going to have to call it quits and resign myself to swearing like a drunk bat every time I fire up vi in a terminal just to edit whatever I'm trying to run.

-Bats
(no, I don't know what a drunk bat swears like either)

More
02 Jul 2020 02:18 #173373 by gerritv
Take a look at probe-basic or PathPilot ? I can't use Axis or gmoccapy, I just can't

More
02 Jul 2020 03:27 #173379 by Bats

Take a look at probe-basic or PathPilot ?

This is the first I've heard of probe-basic, but I'm absolutely interested in PathPilot... The only reason I've been trying to work with gmoccapy is that I had gotten the impression Tormach had made things difficult for non-Tormach users in general, and non-Mesa users especially. If that's not the case, I'll start trying planning my migration first thing tomorrow.

(hell, even bumping up the schedule of my Mesafication might sound reasonable, if it's actually straightforward to get PathPilot running)

I can't use Axis or gmoccapy, I just can't

I know where you're coming from. Axis makes me cry, and gmoccapy... well... gmoccapy's making me cry too, just for different reasons.

-Bats
(crying a lot these days)

More
02 Jul 2020 12:05 #173403 by tommylight
I love Axis for it's simplicity, and i am a very complicated person!
Switching to PathPilot is not that easy, there is some stuff to modify and edit, but it is very doable, at least it was as i know there are several members here who have done it, and there is a user here that is very knowledgeable about it.

More
02 Jul 2020 17:29 #173438 by Bats

I love Axis for it's simplicity, and i am a very complicated person!

I probably would've been perfectly happy with Axis if linuxCNC were the first package I'd dealt with, but coming off a few years with Mach3, I'm looking for a more robust GUI. Although I think the thing that really killed it for me from the start (and had me literally thinking "great... I'm going to have to figure out how to write my own custom UI for this thing, aren't I?" before discovering gmoccapy existed) was the "radio button plus +/-" jog controls.

Switching to PathPilot is not that easy,

Switching to linuxCNC is not that easy :p

there is some stuff to modify and edit,

I'm beginning to detect something of a running theme...

but it is very doable, at least it was as i know there are several members here who have done it, and there is a user here that is very knowledgeable about it.

I know it was possible - at least on Mesa hardware (I'm still on a parport) - but then it sounded like Tormach threw up some roadblocks for non-Tormach users trying to get a copy, which was what made me fall back on Gmoccapy (this was probably a year or so back, during my first aborted migration from Mach3).

I've since seen some suggestions (which I now can't seem to find) that the way has again been made clear - with Tormach possibly selling PP on flash drives... but all the how-tos I've found are uniformly ancient, and my lCNC-fu is a little weak for tackling a project like that unguided (especially if it involves throwing down cash to get started).

-Bats
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
02 Jul 2020 18:01 #173440 by tommylight
LOL and thank you, you make some interesting reading.
Hmm Mach3 .... that explains a lot ! :)
The only thing that went through my mind when i first saw mach was i was going to puke, it looks utterly disgusting!
But then again, everyone is beautiful to it's own mother! :)
It was possible even on parallel ports, i am sure of it, but i am not aware of what changed and how as i do not use it, i think i still have version 1.9 somewhere.

More
02 Jul 2020 19:14 #173444 by Bats

Hmm Mach3 .... that explains a lot ! :)

Don't it just? :P

The only thing that went through my mind when i first saw mach was i was going to puke, it looks utterly disgusting!

Don't it just? :sick:

But then again, everyone is beautiful to it's own mother! :)

Mach3's mother only says that to be polite. It's utterly atrocious - like some sort of demented carryover from the Win 95 days before standardized UI schemes became a thing, with a color palette scraped out of the wrong end of a 16-bit MS Paint Christmas tree and a layout that can only be explained by organic accretion set free from any intelligent constraints of planning and design...

But buried in that mess in a lot of capability - and a lot of configurability, without once resorting to editing a config file (and dealing with the associated incessant restarts to check whether it worked). In the first day I had it running more completely than I've managed with a month of work on LinuxCNC.

So, hideous clusterfuck or not (or, yes, definitely) , the package does have a lot going for it. Unfortunately it also hit a dead end years ago, and had been pretty much abandoned even before Mach4 became a viable replacement (is it even a viable replacement now?), so when it came time to look at hardware stepgen, I didn't really want to chain myself to that sinking (sunken?) ship with a Smoothstepper. So... LinuxCNC, Ahoy!

(What's that you say? "What about GRBL?"... err... well... yeah... about that... um...)

It was possible even on parallel ports, i am sure of it,

Well, that's certainly promising, then.

but i am not aware of what changed and how as i do not use it, i think i still have version 1.9 somewhere.

*waves frantically at gerritv to come back and enlighten us after that cruel tease of a statement*

I'm also still curious about this Probe Basic, which I hadn't seen in any of the lists of GUIs I'd skimmed before. The screenshots I'm seeing certainly look shiny... but how is it for general use by the sort of user whose only probifying tends to be of the Z touchplate variety? (and how many unexpected configurational quirks does it have hidden underneath the hood?)

-Bats

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds