unbuntu lucid nativecam install

More
10 Jul 2019 21:58 #139028 by okiejim
OK, I am not good at computers. That said I need help.
I have been reading all I can about installing NativeCam. I see others saying they got it going but not seeing what they exactly did to get if going. Just what they did to fix it. I can get a screen up by typing python ncam.py after several error and ok's. When I try to do the embedded commands in the readme file it says no command found ncam and does not add the tab. I added a tab with an embeded_command. But it says the ncam.ui file can't run as there is no QT_Designer to run it? I probable have a mess now on my machine as I have tried the commands in several different directories trying to get a tab in linuxcnc. I have a ini file that I use always that has a probe_screen tab and an add on touch_probe button I got off the internet from rob suber I think it was. I have tried to use the debian iso but my machine seems to not like it. it has to do with the video drive I believe. Any way, am I too out dated to use NativeCam do I need a different computer to put Debian on? Sorry for the long drag out but I wanted to explain myself first. Thank you for reading. I if your laughing good I love to make people laugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2019 22:30 - 10 Jul 2019 22:58 #139030 by Grotius
@Jim,

Welcome to the LinuxCNC forum !!

Before you go investegating.... See the video of the founder of linux, Linus from a to z on a lazy sunday....

Student's can ask him question's. He is very a fair man. Sometimes i take up for him related to the Gpl3 licence.

I will try to merge your request's in a list :

Problem :
1. How to do a NativeCam installation..
2. Do i need a Debian installation?

Solution :

1. I think when user's read point 1. They can give you the link or how to do it.
2. I think you can do every Linux installation you want. 32 or 64 bit is up to you. I personally prefer a 64 bit version this day's. More program's are only compatible with 64 bit. If you are interested in Ubuntu or Mint etc. it can also be your favorite for now. Later on you can alway's change to a other distro. For me debian is my favorite at the moment.

You could install nativecam with the help of youtube video's.

I can get a screen up by typing python ncam.py

In terminal a python program is called by typing : python

Nativecam is on github : github.com/FernV/NativeCAM

Have you read this : forum.linuxcnc.org/nativecam/32891-use-n...eb-package-now#94274
?

I if your laughing good I love to make people laugh.
I was not laughing while reading your post.
So maybe your second post could be a very good one to make peolple laughing... It's up to you :laugh:

OK, I am not good at computers. That said I need help.
You are in good hands over here. There is more input than output.

One last merge.
Window's auto update's are not safe. It will cause a problem very soon. It's a tikking clock.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2019 22:58 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FernV

More
11 Jul 2019 00:31 #139040 by FernV
I have never used lucid but if linuxcnc works, nativecam should.

If from a command prompt (do not use sudo) you type 'ncam' what happens ? Post a screen shot please.

Then attach your ini file with your answer. I do not need anything else for now.

Fern

More
11 Jul 2019 13:06 #139102 by okiejim
FernV,
Thank you for the response. This is great but I did not want to bother you of all people.

File Attachment:

File Name: touch_plate.ini
File Size:3 KB

Please be aware I manually added the lines for EMBED_TAB AND EMBED_COMMAND in my ini file. This did not happen with your script. This did create the tab but no screen when I push the tab.

Thank you again. I hope to document what I do from start to finish so others can learn.
Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2019 13:38 #139802 by okiejim
Thank you for your responses. I have done more research and have found that the lucid repositories no longer seem to exist which makes it impossible to upgrade anything. So now I am going to have to install Debian anyway. I need a new dvd player in order to do that so once I get that done I should not have anymore troubles The Debian install looks to be pretty straight forward.

More
18 Jul 2019 14:46 #139814 by Todd Zuercher
Once an old Ubuntu distro reaches end of life, its repositories are moved to the archives and can still be found there.
old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
If you update your repos to point to that you can still install and "update" software.

More
18 Jul 2019 15:15 #139818 by FernV
Looks like nativecam is NOT installed.

try : locate nativecam

If it is not found then open package manager and search for nativecam or ncam. Install from there or use the install procedure.

Fern

More
20 Jul 2019 15:45 #139972 by okiejim
Todd, FernV
Thank you. Todd I did what you said thank you. The repository is there. Now I need to update the python, according to nativecam I need 2.7 or higher. So I think I just may move on to Debian. Ordered a new dvd writer from fleabay, so I can install a fresh iso. Thank you you guys for your help. I look forward to using native cam. The other cam software I have been using just has too many steps to get the g-code over to linuxcnc. I like the native solution better.

More
26 Jul 2019 17:10 #140662 by okiejim
Well here's an .update.
The last time I tried, it wanted curl to be installed for the script to run. I tried and looked but was unable to find a way to get it installed easily. So I just will give up on this task. I have Debian 9 with linuxcnc installed on another machine now and am in the process of setting up my ini file for my machine. I can now also follow the youtube on the install for debian which is really easy to follow. Once I get it going I will let you know.

More
05 Aug 2019 18:04 #141434 by okiejim
Too bad,
I got debian 9 ins talled with the live cd. Went to latency and omg. My machine was at >200000. So I just went to try to configure anyway to see what happened. Well could not get the steppers to run smoothly at all. So I reloaded my Unbuntu install and am configuring it back to the way it was. At least I tried. Now I know, I can install the version of linuxcnc just can't upgrade os with debian on this pc.

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds