PathPilot Screen freezes after idle for an hour.

More
22 Jul 2019 12:39 #140170 by Vmax549
Hi ALL an update. I updated teh PathPilot to teh current version and teh screens freeze problem went away.

(;-) TP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2019 01:55 #140257 by Vmax549
Well I spoke too soon. It last all night and most of teh day then froze up again.

I fear this NEW PC built for pathPilot was a waste of money and time.

I am not so sure of an OS that cannot run modern new MBs without guessing IF it will work. It had teh latest Bios and video drivers even then selecting a video driver was a guessing game . It would NOT run from teh onboard at ALL. PathPilot would not load with an error of OpenGL not supported. ADDED a new Video card with 2GB mem and found a driver that seemed to work. But it may not after all.

Never had these problems with WINDOS (;-) AND I did test this PC with another controller package with ZERO problems.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

(;-) TP

More
23 Jul 2019 07:36 #140270 by smgvbest
This might be a thought but based on posts made you are not very Linux savvy. you stated above you had driver install issues. so my first guess is you're having driver issues causing the freeze. Perhaps your first course should be on a Linux forum and get the correct drivers installed for Linux Mint. (be sure it's the same version as PP or you can running into problems still)

After that, have you installed LinuxCNC on the computer using the same version of Linuxcnc that PP does? and gotten that to work? if not the first suggestion made here is to do that before jumping into PP.

Most users here go for hardware that is compatible with what Tormach uses. There are no special video drivers required. the boards used by Tormach tend to be Intel HD based for video. under V1 there was warning about certain chipsets causing problems due to USB issues. perhaps that's still true for V2, they recommended disabling USB3 ports on those chipsets. perhaps that's a problem you're having???

trying to help and really recommend getting your driver issues fixed and running LinuxCNC without issue before moving to PP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Jul 2019 12:43 #140285 by Vmax549
I do thak you for teh help you are very kind.

This MB is an tntel chipset MB it was bought based on teh Tormach specs. (;-)

Asus mb Intel chipsets Intel gpu
i3 CPU @3.2ghz
8gb of ram
250gb SSD
2gb PCIex16 video card GT710 ( suggested by a linux Mint group).

(;-) TP

More
23 Jul 2019 13:03 #140287 by tommylight

2gb PCIex16 video card GT710 ( suggested by a linux Mint group).

(;-) TP

That might case some issues, some Nvidia cards case latency spikes when changing internal frequencies going from one power mode to another.
I said "might" !

More
23 Jul 2019 13:13 #140288 by Vmax549
It really depends on HOW teh appication uses teh Video driver. Testing with the installed driver made teh card work but was unstable. BUT if you hop out of PathPilot into Linux Mint it seems to work perfect. It never froze up there . I ran a test progam to test the video performance and it seemed FINE. But that was not the end of the story PathPilot was a different story.

I did test this combo with a W7 setup and another controller and did not have any problems so the hardware does work just not with Linux Mint / PathPilot.

I did run across an older Linux Guro that suggested this has always been teh case with Linux and hardware and he recommended a driver for Intel Chips that has always worked for him. I will try that driver to see if it works here.

More
23 Jul 2019 13:17 #140289 by tommylight
Does the motherboard have a built in graphic card ?
If it does, you should try it, usually that works better with Linuxcnc.
You can also enable software rendering and give it a try, you might be surprised. I know i was, but on a RPI3 ! :)

More
23 Jul 2019 14:10 #140291 by Vmax549
Yes it does have a built in video BUT that would not work either and it only had teh open source driver from linux. I did try to update drivers for that BUT there was not another driver available through linux Mint.

So I went with teh GT710 video card. And there were only 2 drivers available 1 propietary and one open source.

It is not like I have not tried to make it work . It has just become a huge TIME vampire to do so.

I still have not figured out HOW to install a driver from USB or disk. It centainly is not obvious to me. I am limited to teh process inside of Linux Mint and it just checks a depository of drivers most of them are open source.

(;-) TP

More
23 Jul 2019 15:47 #140302 by Todd Zuercher

Yes it does have a built in video BUT that would not work either and it only had teh open source driver from linux. I did try to update drivers for that BUT there was not another driver available through linux Mint.

So I went with teh GT710 video card. And there were only 2 drivers available 1 propietary and one open source.

It is not like I have not tried to make it work . It has just become a huge TIME vampire to do so.

I still have not figured out HOW to install a driver from USB or disk. It centainly is not obvious to me. I am limited to teh process inside of Linux Mint and it just checks a depository of drivers most of them are open source.

(;-) TP

The open source (defuault) video drivers usually work best with Linuxcnc. We're talking about a cnc machine, it doesn't nead great video performance or high resolution. It just needs to be good enough for the HMI and not get in the way of the real time tasks.

More
23 Jul 2019 17:25 #140321 by Vmax549
BUTit does have to be able to do OpenGL well and that is what a lot of teh open source drivers do not do. I get an error on opening PathPilot that says OpenGL NOT supported and PathPil;ot will not start.

(;-) TP

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds