Pathpilot plasma

More
20 Dec 2020 06:42 #192504 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Pathpilot plasma
those are some REALLY nice and we'll put together manuals (plasma and lathe)

just a pity the hardware is well out of my range.... but VERY nice.

finished off very nicely
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2020 06:59 #192505 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Pathpilot plasma

those are some REALLY nice and we'll put together manuals (plasma and lathe)

just a pity the hardware is well out of my range.... but VERY nice.

finished off very nicely

Yes, agree but you can have the same technology with Linuxcnc, a 7i96 or 7i76e and two THCAD's for USD $257. Surely thats in in your budget!

More
20 Dec 2020 10:05 #192513 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Pathpilot plasma
.... I just think AXIS looks antiquated....

and although Gmoccapy is eye pleasing .... just don't try to move or add anything..... (NOTE I've not looked at it for a WHILE...)

which to be fair is the same with Pathpilot (can't add / move anything).... but it looks nice and comprehensive

sorry don't want to turn this into a plasmac thread, but I am going to look at it again as it is clearly developed further than when I last looked, I will take up any points over in the plasmac thread when I next have a look at it (I have a 7i76e + thcads (X2)

More
20 Dec 2020 12:29 #192521 by rodw

and although Gmoccapy is eye pleasing .... just don't try to move or add anything..... (NOTE I've not looked at it for a WHILE...)

which to be fair is the same with Pathpilot (can't add / move anything).... but it looks nice and comprehensive

sorry don't want to turn this into a plasmac thread, but I am going to look at it again as it is clearly developed further than when I last looked, I will take up any points over in the plasmac thread when I next have a look at it (I have a 7i76e + thcads (X2)

Robert, I don't think anyone has tried to divert this thread to Plasmac.
I agree that Axis is antiquated. I also find that Gmocappy is not ideal for plasma as there is too much swapping between tabs. A nice flat GUI is required for plasma.

There is quite a group in this forum section that have got Pathpilot up and running. It might be interesting to see if you could get a Pathpilot Plasma interface migrated to non Tormach hardware. I'm sure you will get good support from forum members...

More
20 Dec 2020 12:42 #192525 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Pathpilot plasma

If you trace the wire marked CAP back, that refers to the Ohmic CAP on the torch and the probe signal connects to the encoder pins that the Mesa Plasma bit file would call "encoder 2". So they can use the same board for other machines.

That's why I posted it :)

There's no other mention of another encoder in the hal file, save for the firmware pinout they are nice enough to add in:
#       IOPortTag & x"00" & QCountTag & QCountIdxPin,       -- I/O 26, spindle encoder Z / ohmic    J9-6 (Z+), J9-7 (Z-)

I think they've quietly benefited from the open source development and put together a good package.

It could also be that we quietly benefited from development work being done for them...

At any rate, I don't see any secondary power supply for the ohmic effort, nor is a second encoder velocity dealt with at all. That seems...odd?

More
20 Dec 2020 12:48 #192527 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Pathpilot plasma

I was actually recently poking around PathPilots Hub Sim tool, and playing with the 1300PL config a bit. I would expect them to polish that up a bit in the coming months, but I was a bit surprised that it wasnt super refined like usual. I have both a Tormach 1100 and a Tormach Slant Pro 15L Lathe. I really really like their GUIs for those two applications. Coming from a PlasmaC on Axis perspective, PlasmaC seems to have a lot more to offer. For example, the conversational. On pathpilot it's only DXF2GCODE at the moment anyways. They do have a camera section and looks like they plan to add scanning capabilities, but to my knowledge they dont sell that accessory currently.

At any rate, I also agree that Axis is getting older, and Gmoccapy is... unusable... for Plasma. I think most will really like the QTPlasmaC in development. I wouldnt think it would be much longer before it's ready..

More
20 Dec 2020 13:23 - 20 Dec 2020 13:24 #192533 by rodw

If you trace the wire marked CAP back, that refers to the Ohmic CAP on the torch and the probe signal connects to the encoder pins that the Mesa Plasma bit file would call "encoder 2". So they can use the same board for other machines.

That's why I posted it :)

There's no other mention of another encoder in the hal file, save for the firmware pinout they are nice enough to add in:
#       IOPortTag & x"00" & QCountTag & QCountIdxPin,       -- I/O 26, spindle encoder Z / ohmic    J9-6 (Z+), J9-7 (Z-)

I think they've quietly benefited from the open source development and put together a good package.

It could also be that we quietly benefited from development work being done for them...

At any rate, I don't see any secondary power supply for the ohmic effort, nor is a second encoder velocity dealt with at all. That seems...odd?

I don't think development from Tormach around Plasma has fed back to Linuxcnc. Heck it took years (at least 5) to get State tags developed for them into the core code. But I do wonder if the experiments I did for Mesa that led to Hypersensing was not an experiment to prove concepts that fed into the Tormach machine.

You forget that Tormach are using a custom FGPA and therefore use custom firmware so what we do in HAL for probing, they could do in firmware. I did not follow the extra input on the high voltage side back to a source or look through the rest of their schematic but I assumed that there was inputs for a common ground (workclamp), a torch and a probing connection.

I do see similarities with the material interface I suggested here forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/35449-an...nent?start=10#119922 back in 2018
Last edit: 20 Dec 2020 13:24 by rodw.

More
20 Dec 2020 16:11 #192554 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Pathpilot plasma

I suspect they are using the isolated supply (maybe with a charge pump multiplier) for the Ohmic sense
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, snowgoer540

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds