Another plasma component...

More
03 Nov 2018 22:46 #119890 by phillc54
I like your idea of a simulated path pin.
I am not 100% sure what you mean with your eject probe pin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2018 23:45 #119895 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...

I like your idea of a simulated path pin.

This may not need a new pin in the component. If you add a new GUI button "torch enable", you can and2 that with motion.spindle-on and use the output from the and2 to turn on the torch relay output.

I've just moved my plasma table to a new building and for some reason, its not seeing any Wifi SSID's otherwise I'd be playing with this.

I was looking at all of the space left on the config tab and thought it would be a great place to have some fields populated from an SQL table to select cutting chart parameters. I came up with a list of about 8 tables to do this correctly. eg, select machine, select metric/Imperial units, select material type (steel, stainless aluminium), select material thickness (based on metric/imperial), select gas. I did nut out the fields required for each table. When i get some time, I'll see if I can build the database for a Hypertherm 45xp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
04 Nov 2018 00:11 #119897 by tommylight
Did some more testing today in sim mode ( as is, since i did move the machine to another place on the factory and i did not have time to adjust the rails yet and wire the new control box ), so i can confirm that it does everything it should do. The only difference between toma_thc and this config i did notice is: on this one even with the ARCON signal it moves, on the toma_thc one it does not. It was made so that in case the torch went on ( manually ) when it was not supposed to, it would halt all motion as i mostly have hand held torches on the machines with magnetic holders. Case 1 the torch can fall off and there is the very remote chance it hits the trigger and case 2 when i test the plasma power source manually for whatever reason or when changing the consumables accidentally firing it while putting it back in place as the torch has to be held in the normal use position to be attached.
I can live with it as is, and i sure will not bother changing it as i already ordered a machine torch with 12 meter cable and 2 machine torch heads to change the manual ones i have.
Again, Phill, thank you, you did a great job putting all that together.

More
04 Nov 2018 01:32 #119905 by rodw
Tommy,

Are you saying that if you manually trigger a torch, it enables the ArcOn signal and if that is enabled when an attempt is made to start cutting, the TOMA_THC does not commence the cut?

More
04 Nov 2018 03:48 #119914 by islander261
Guys

This is really cool. I wish this was around two years ago. I will take a close look at his in the coming week so I can understand where others are going. Most of my configuration (right or wrong) is configured so that all of the torch and THC functions are interlocked to the ArcOK or OK to Move signals from the plasma power supply. I must say that I never have a problem related to the torch failing to fire that isn't related to IHS. At the present time I do have a problem every 5 to 7 sheets that I cut with the torch going out for about one or two cut path segments and then re starting without operator intervention. This problem appears to be totally random at this time. I actually suspect it is related to the TD power supply and how I hacked (hardware) the machine torch interface so it would work reliably with the HT Finecut consumables.

John

More
04 Nov 2018 04:54 #119916 by phillc54
After further testing it appears that the acceleration issue mentioned here is in the reverse-run-master2 branch. I have submitted issue #524 on GitHub.

Next I will have a look at the tp patch suggestion from Rod.

Cheers, Phill.

More
04 Nov 2018 08:02 #119920 by tommylight
@Rodw,
Yes that is it, it will hold all motion while the ARCON signal is present. For normal work it is not needed.

@Phillc54,
Another thing missing is the torch start retry, that is very important for HV start plasmas as they tend to fail starting an arc occasionally as the consumables wear out.

Now the only thing i need is to have the text bigger, every text in the Axis GUI ! The minimum monitor size i use on machines is 22 inch full HD ones and the text on them is miniature ! Need more time to investigate that.
Regards,
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, rodw

More
04 Nov 2018 08:52 #119922 by rodw
I mentioned I was working on a python SQL database. Maybe it could be incorporated into Phil's config.

This python script initialises a database with around 9 tables in it and loads a metric cut chart for mild steel and the Hypertherm 45xp.

File Attachment:

File Name: plasmainit.py
File Size:35 KB

For each material thickness, there are two cut chart entries for each one. One at Best Quality and the other at Production quality per the Hypertherm cutchart in the manual. Many of the database tables are one offs and probably don't need ongoing modification

Note that the database supports metric and imperial cutcharts but I've only entered a metric cut chart for now.

Run it from the command prompt.
python plasmainit.py

This python script acesses the database and prints a crude cut chart (more like a data dump for each row in the table). It does lots of joins to pull all of the data together.

File Attachment:

File Name: cutchart.py
File Size:2 KB

Run it from the command prompt.
python cutchart.py

Note the last line of the SELECT statement includes a WHERE clause to filter out either best quality settings or use production quality settings.

I was kinda hoping that somebody might like to incorporate this into the GUI. I envisaged there would be a drop down to select a machine, material, cut quality and the like so that the database could populate the cut parameters to make this a truly plug and play interface. I can code the data structures and populate the database but man, I need to write a file import routine as hardcoding the data really sucked to build the cutchart! Plus I'm not so good at coding the GUI stuff.

Anyway, please give some feedback on these scripts and let me know if this idea is worth adopting. If its got support, I'll work on a CSV cutchart import routine to get away from the hardcoded inset statements.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S

More
04 Nov 2018 09:42 #119923 by phillc54
Tom, torch start retries should be on the config tab as max start attempts.

Cheers, Phill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Nov 2018 09:46 #119924 by phillc54
Rod, wow, there is a lot of work in those scripts.
I won't get a chance to have a good look until later in the week. I am having some issues trying to incorporate that to patch from Andy.

Cheers, Phill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds