Another plasma component...

More
16 Nov 2018 18:49 #120855 by Uthayne
Replied by Uthayne on topic Another plasma component...
Trying this out on my machine and I believe I've made all of the necessary machine input/output edits to get it running, but I'm having issues with the probing sequence, mainly detecting initial probe contact.

What is verified: p_comp:float-switch is connected to my input pin and is correct when checked with Hal Meter

When I run imperial_squares.ngc test file it rapids to the touchoff point and begins to lower the Z axis. At this point I have my hand on the floating z to trigger the float switch. After it has traveled a bit I will engage the float switch. It continues to move Z- for a bit (not always the same amount, but always a considerable amount after contact) and I can verify this by monitoring p_comp:offset-counts. At some point, it will slow down and reverse direction, looking for the switch to unlatch. When that happens it then does continue on with firing the torch.

I've tried altering the debounce delay from 1 to 10 and 100. Nothing changes.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2018 03:07 - 17 Nov 2018 23:59 #120885 by phillc54

Uthayne wrote:
Trying this out on my machine and I believe I've made all of the necessary machine input/output edits to get it running, but I'm having issues with the probing sequence, mainly detecting initial probe contact.

Could you let me know the following values in the Configure tab of the GladeVCP panel:
Max. Speed
Setup Speed
Probe Speed

If Probe Speed is greater than Max. Speed, set it to a value equal to or less than Max. Speed and let me know if that fixes the problem.

Debounce delay should be as low as possible, 1 works well for the mechanical microswitch I have tested with.

You also need the following changes in your ini file:
[AXIS_Z]
MIN_LIMIT = -3.0 (this should be equal to [JOINT_2]MIN_LIMIT)
MAX_VELOCITY = 0.50 (this should be double  [JOINT_2]MAX_VELOCITY)
MAX_ACCELERATION = 20 (this should be double  [JOINT_2]MAX_ACCELERATION)
Last edit: 17 Nov 2018 23:59 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uthayne

More
17 Nov 2018 13:38 - 17 Nov 2018 15:24 #120900 by Uthayne
Replied by Uthayne on topic Another plasma component...
Changed debounce back to 1, and made those ini edits and it is working properly. Thanks for the quick solution!

Btw, these were my settings on the gladevcp panel:
Max. Speed : 30
Setup Speed : 15
Probe Speed : 40

I'll update these as well

Edit: I found that changing configuration modes (0, 1, 2) was not updating. Not sure if this was handled somewhere else, but I fixed it by adding "setp plasmac.mode [PLASMAC]MODE" to the plasmac.hal file
Last edit: 17 Nov 2018 15:24 by Uthayne.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight

More
17 Nov 2018 23:21 #120927 by phillc54
I have just pushed updates to fix the problems found by Uthayne.

1. Ensure probe speed does not exceed setup speed.

2. Add references to mode setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, Uthayne

More
19 Nov 2018 07:21 - 19 Nov 2018 10:03 #120978 by phillc54
A couple more updates:

1. IHS can be disabled if new cut start position is less than 'Skip IHS' distance (in machine units) from the last cut end position. Skip IHS is disabled on errors. For example if there is a arc failure while cutting then IHS will be performed regardless of where the cut is.

2. Config file has been changed so it doesn't use gladevcp.persistence. This causes problems when adding new features that require saving. Existing config files will be automatically updated on the first run.

Edit:
There are three hal pin name changes associated with IHS disable that will need to be changed in any existing plasmac.hal and plasmac_panel.hal files:
plasmac.axis-min-limit is now plasmac.axis-z-min-limit
plasmac.axis-max-limit is now plasmac.axis-z-max-limit
plasmac.axis-position  is now plasmac.axis-z-position
These name changes are for clarity now that there are axis x & axis y pins.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2018 10:03 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
19 Nov 2018 17:09 #121010 by islander261
You may wish to consider using the last IHS point for your distance origin rather than the end of the previous cut. Your method assumes an accurate height at the end of the previous cut.

John

More
19 Nov 2018 21:02 #121022 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Yes John is right, You need to base your distance calculation from the last probe event as that is the last time we know the height was accurate.

More
19 Nov 2018 22:35 - 20 Nov 2018 03:50 #121029 by phillc54

islander261 wrote:
You may wish to consider using the last IHS point for your distance origin rather than the end of the previous cut. Your method assumes an accurate height at the end of the previous cut.

rodw wrote:
Yes John is right, You need to base your distance calculation from the last probe event as that is the last time we know the height was accurate.

Thanks guys, yes I was assuming that the last cut height would be accurate.
I see in the Hypertherm ArcGlide manual (p159) that they do it this way but disable it if THC was not active or Sample Voltage mode was inactive. Which I forgot to do...
So which way to go, or make it user selectable or am I trying to do too much here...

Edit:
THC Enabled and Sample Voltage problem has been fixed.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2018 03:50 by phillc54.

More
20 Nov 2018 01:28 #121035 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
I think you have to work with the probe event or when motion.spindle-on goes true.

I think when I did this, I started with a needs_probe pin that was true when it needs to probe on power up. Once probed, I turned it off and only enabled it when it was > the skip probe distance. That made the pin independent of any plasma cutting.

By connecting the output to a motion digital pin, M66 Pnn L0 (wait on input immediate) would return the state in #5399 so you could branch to the probe routine or not in gcode but you can do that in the component.

More
20 Nov 2018 05:15 #121040 by islander261
Guys

My method isn't as nice. I just do it with the PP and whether the probing subroutine is called or not in the Gcode.

John

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds