New to all of this

More
09 Apr 2019 13:19 #130552 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic New to all of this
I have the same issue with the install failing on a gigabyte Brix BACE-3150 due no CD Rom mounted. Weird that this should be tied to a certain USB stick. The stick which fails on the Brix, is the same stick and ISO I used to load LinuxCNC on the Maho's ITX PC where it worked fine.

Since I want to use an ethernet Mesa 7i96 on the lathe, I will follow the advice here and use a different usb stick and the 64 bit OS. Is the nomeclature AMD64 used for the 64 bit version and i386 for the 32 bit?
os? My Brix has an Intel Celeron.

What bios setting on the Brix sets boot from USB? I couldn't work it out and then played around in UEFI settings until it worked, but have not real idea how I got there.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2019 13:45 #130553 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic New to all of this

Is the nomeclature AMD64 used for the 64 bit version and i386 for the 32 bit?

Yes. It isn't as clear as one might hope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP, Badger

More
09 Apr 2019 20:56 #130575 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic New to all of this
Early in my Linuxcnc journey, I had troubles booting from USB sticks until I burnt them on Windows with win32diskimager
I never had a failure booting from these images and I did find some reports suggesting there was an issue with Linux and the workaround was to do what I had already done in Windows!

More
10 Apr 2019 06:29 #130589 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic New to all of this
Thanks Rod. I burnt it using Rufus under windows. Rufus does a pop-up to say they are Hybrid DD files, and gives the options to burn them as ISO or DD. I always used ISO, or should I use the other option.
Mark

More
10 Apr 2019 15:15 #130600 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic New to all of this
Used always win32diskimager but run into troubles especially when burning linux iso's to usb-ssd's. Since using latest versions of etcher all goes better.

More
10 Apr 2019 21:14 #130624 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic New to all of this

Thanks Rod. I burnt it using Rufus under windows. Rufus does a pop-up to say they are Hybrid DD files, and gives the options to burn them as ISO or DD. I always used ISO, or should I use the other option.
Mark

I don't know. I've only ever used ISO as that is what LinuxCNC provides.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds