just another plasma build and then some :)

More
18 Mar 2020 06:21 #160617 by thefabricator03
I had some Leadshine parts come out of China last week and I got them in two days, but I did pay extra for the shipping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2020 07:46 #160630 by machinedude
i was being cheap and took the free shipping. i figured by the time i sort everything else out i should get them by then. only have so much time to work on this project so it goes slow as a result. can't quit the job any time soon so that wins most of my time.

i did start to make new plastic ball screw guides from Delrin and i beefed up the width some some i have more material around the dove tails. this material is much better than HDPE in performance and machining in general. Delrin has really good mechanical properties where the HDPE has some pretty poor shear qualities. i should be good to go once i get those made and can run the screw as fast as i want. so hopefully soon i can check that off the list and move to the casting part of the frame.

More
18 Mar 2020 08:16 #160633 by rodw
Be careful when comparing plastics. Each has their place.
HDPE has very high compressive strength, will not shatter (they just turn into donuts) and unlike a lot of plastics it is impervious to moisture. Some nylons crack and shatter as they take up moisture.
I guess thats why they use HDPE for water pipes.

I got sick of searching for HDPE in .AU all the time so I bought a tonne from China and had them machine it. Saved me about $33k when I eventually work my way through it all.

More
19 Mar 2020 00:17 #160692 by machinedude

got at least one working to try out seems to work good :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Mar 2020 00:47 #160697 by tommylight

More
19 Mar 2020 01:00 #160698 by machinedude
no more screw whip they work great for that. if i get some more torque out of the axis i think i can get 500 IMP with no issues. i would be happy at that speed right now it's maxed out at 230 IPM

More
28 Mar 2020 23:22 #161863 by machinedude

got some of my drag chain mounted and it seems to work well. i see why everyone supports it now :) thought i was going to have to wait but found some material to make the support out of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

More
28 Mar 2020 23:36 #161869 by tommylight
Now we are cooking ! :)
Nice.

More
28 Mar 2020 23:40 #161873 by machinedude

just some better shots of how i did things
Attachments:

More
29 Mar 2020 02:21 #161906 by thefabricator03

The first time a new machine jogs is a very memorable experience. All the long hours coming together.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds