Plasma build basic questions

More
15 Mar 2021 12:49 #202342 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Plasma build basic questions
I've not cut much stainless, only thin stuff.
I vaguely remember from my cut charts that you need a "hotter" torch for stainless vs mild steel.
One commercial guy I knew who cut all day every day had a rule of thumb he had which was 10 amps per mm of steel. So by his benchmark, 45 amps is too low, I'd try 60-80 amps depending on available consumables..
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 15:07 - 15 Mar 2021 15:08 #202356 by Chris J

I've not cut much stainless, only thin stuff.
I vaguely remember from my cut charts that you need a "hotter" torch for stainless vs mild steel.
One commercial guy I knew who cut all day every day had a rule of thumb he had which was 10 amps per mm of steel. So by his benchmark, 45 amps is too low, I'd try 60-80 amps depending on available consumables..

I go by Hypertherm's charts and use the lowest current I can.

Perhaps that's a mistake, but they say 45A will cut 1/4" stainless so I assume that'll give me the best cut vs more current and higher speeds.

I'm certainly open to suggestions tho.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2021 15:08 by Chris J.

More
19 Mar 2021 14:31 #202837 by dvn4life1972
Speaking as a former career welder, higher amperage (temperature) with correct travel speed will yield better results on thicker material than running at the lowest possible amperage, much the same as when welding as the heat input and travel speed principles are essentially the same in most cases. There's also the added benefits of reduced tendency for warping of the material, as well as higher productivity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds