Torch isn’t firing

More
10 Mar 2022 21:37 - 10 Mar 2022 21:37 #236894 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Torch isn’t firing
Software backlash compensation is never going to pickup that much slack. Looks like something is significantly loose in your Y axis (assuming your letter B is normally oriented on your computer screen.)
Last edit: 10 Mar 2022 21:37 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2022 00:01 #236906 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Torch isn’t firing
I had time to take a look at your config tonight.  I see the following:

1. You are on version PlasmaC v.177 which was released in Sept of 2020.  The latest version is v.190 from Dec 2021.  I recommend you update, if you are going to use PlasmaC, you might as well use the latest version since there were some bugs that got squished in that time period.

2. You have the encoder hooked up in the _connections file for the voltage, but you are missing a few lines.  Add these at the end of the nfstring_connections.hal file:
setp  hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.00.scale -1
setp  hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.00.filter 1
setp  hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.00.counter-mode 1

3. On the config tab, you will need to calculate the voltage scale and voltage offset. The process is described in the PlasmaC user guide, but you can also use this calculator (also linked in the user guide): jscalc.io/calc/NTr5QDX6WgMThBVb

4. Make sure that the jumpers on your THCAD-10 are on Unipolar and F/32.

I think that should get your voltage going. The referenced section from the manual is here (link for your convenience): linuxcnc.org/docs/html/plasma/plasmac-us...uide.html#mesa-thcad

More
11 Mar 2022 04:03 #236914 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Torch isn’t firing
I wonder if its a case of missing steps?
Or grounding issues? So noise?
I would find the Hypertherm grounding white paper and do everything it says.

More
11 Mar 2022 05:46 #236917 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Torch isn’t firing
www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...MTeBtcCAtqsr7LTEJbwL

also check that something is not sticking on the axis and then springing back into motion.

I would suggest getting a market pen and strapping it to the carriage for some motion tests on paper.... that way you eliminate noise and plasma and just deal with motion

More
11 Mar 2022 14:32 - 11 Mar 2022 14:37 #236937 by scotth
Replied by scotth on topic Torch isn’t firing
Marking the true X and Y axis will also help. I't hard to guess exactly what is happening from the photo. It could be too much backlash comp. Record comp information, then zero comp out and run test.

Look at www.haascnc.com/service/troubleshooting-...etation---mills.html

It shows ballbar plots, yours is much worse, but the basic info is the same.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2022 14:37 by scotth.

More
12 Mar 2022 21:57 #237028 by Aldenflorio
Replied by Aldenflorio on topic Torch isn’t firing
Well everyone, I was able to figure it out. I was being dumb and left something loose. Thank you all so much for you help. I had to disable torch on to cut. Therefore I still need to work out the THC configuration. Again I didn’t really understand what the plasmac doc is asking me to do with the thcad-10. If just doesn’t make sense to me. When I’m with my machine again I’ll do what you said Snowgoer540. Is there anything else I have to do? I know we said how since it’s a hypertherm45 (not xp) is a 50:1 ratio. What all is there to do that will ensure this THCad-10 wiring will work? Thank you very much

More
13 Mar 2022 04:59 #237078 by Aldenflorio
Also, how would I update my plasmac to the new version?

More
13 Mar 2022 06:03 - 13 Mar 2022 06:04 #237079 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Torch isn’t firing

Also, how would I update my plasmac to the new version?

If you have a package installation of LinuxCNC then you need to change the repositories to point to the Buildbot by following the instructions for 2.8 branch at:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
Last edit: 13 Mar 2022 06:04 by phillc54.

More
13 Mar 2022 12:19 - 13 Mar 2022 12:22 #237106 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Torch isn’t firing

Is there anything else I have to do? I know we said how since it’s a hypertherm45 (not xp) is a 50:1 ratio. What all is there to do that will ensure this THCad-10 wiring will work? Thank you very much

1. Make the changes to add the three lines to your file as I mentioned in the other post.
2. You need the frequency values off of the calibration sticker on the back of your THCAD. There is one for 0V and one for 10V
3. Go to the online calculator --> jscalc.io/calc/NTr5QDX6WgMThBVb
3a. Enter the 10V frequency in the top line
3b. Enter the 0V frequency in the next line down
3c. Frequency divider should be F/32, you should verify this jumper setting on your THCAD, though it is the default.
3d. THCAD model is -10
3e. Plasma Machine Voltage Divider Ratio is 50
4. You will get two number from the above calculator. Scale and Offset, write them down exactly.
5. On the Config Tab, in the "Arc" section, there are two entries marked Voltage Scale and Voltage Offset. Enter the values you wrote down in step 4 into these boxes.
6. Click Save.

Assuming everything else was wired correctly, etc. your torch voltage should work. You can verify the Scale and Offset by hooking a known DC power source (A 9V battery for example) to the THCAD input (if you decide this is necessary, you should probably disconnect the voltage out from the hypertherm first before you do this) and verifying that the screen reads 9V.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2022 12:22 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Mar 2022 20:19 #237232 by Aldenflorio
so i have to upgrage my whole system to linuxcnc 2.9? i thought i just had to upgrade plasmac?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds