THCAD-300 and Plasmac User Guide questions

More
01 Jan 2020 00:06 #153660 by rodw

I think the scale is looking for a really small number though. Everything you said makes it more clear, but I'm thinking it's looking for a really small number for scale though, would it be (1/83.375) = scale (0.011994)?

So you said you dropped the filter. Why? I'm still not sure I understand what the filter is supposed to do exactly.

Sorry, I was not near plasmac when I wrote the above so forgot it used the inverse of my calculation eg volts per frequency steps vs frequency steps per volt.

Pre-Plasmac, some people suggested to apply a low pass filter to the THCAD input. But when working with some of Dewey Garret's experimental work I was cautioned not to use filters as it could have undesirable affects. After testing, I never used a filter so dropped it out in future versions.

And yes, AgentWD40's calculator works fine!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2020 00:10 #153663 by phillc54

Great, If Kyle gives the go ahead I will link to it in the docs and also reword the docs a bit. There is always something to do...

More
01 Jan 2020 00:11 #153664 by rodw

I will definitely have to check that component out, I didnt know it existed. I thought to myself "why cant my frequencies and which THCAD I have just be part of the configuration?". I am sure there are lots of other things on the priority list though.

Because then it would lock PlasmaC into one hardware vendor.

Well, it does not have to, you just need to add a few more fields in the configurator:
Selecting Use Mesa THCAD? could present a number of fields that allow calculating the scale and offset correctly. That would be cool as a lot of guys get hung up setting up the thcad.

More
01 Jan 2020 00:18 #153665 by AgentWD40

Great, If Kyle gives the go ahead I will link to it in the docs and also reword the docs a bit. There is always something to do...

Of course! I'm happy to contribute at least something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
01 Jan 2020 00:22 #153667 by phillc54

Well, it does not have to, you just need to add a few more fields in the configurator:
Selecting Use Mesa THCAD? could present a number of fields that allow calculating the scale and offset correctly. That would be cool as a lot of guys get hung up setting up the thcad.

Man, this todo list just keeps growing...:ohmy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
01 Jan 2020 00:22 #153668 by AgentWD40

Phill, if you're interested in doing this I posted the formulas I used in the post that I linked to above.

More
01 Jan 2020 00:24 #153669 by phillc54

Phill, if you're interested in doing this I posted the formulas I used in the post that I linked to above.

Yes, I will take a look at it.

More
01 Jan 2020 00:57 #153678 by rodw

Yes, I will take a look at it.

Also in my component
forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachme...0660/scalethcad.comp

More
02 Jan 2020 21:45 - 02 Jan 2020 21:47 #153822 by chimeno
Hi,
I'm trying to read the THCAD300 using an encoder with ethercat device, I was reading that I have to do the 0 - 300v scale, right? if someone can look at each other if the formulas are ok?
#define scale_frequency (100000)

// initialize variables
   hal_data-> frequency_min = 115,700;
   hal_data-> frequency_max = 914.600;
   hal_data-> thcad_version_volt = 300,000;

double_t raw_frequency;

// read raw values
   raw_frequency = EC_READ_S32 (& pd [hal_data-> frequency_pdo_os]);

// frequency to voltage conversion simple
   * (hal_data-> frequency_khz) = raw_frequency / scale_frequency;
   * (hal_data-> frequency_volt) = ((hal_data-> frequency_max - hal_data-> frequency_min) / hal_data-> thcad_version_volt);
   * (hal_data-> thc_volt) = ((* (hal_data-> frequency_khz) - hal_data-> frequency_min) / (* (hal_data-> frequency_volt)));

greetings Chimeno
Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 21:47 by chimeno.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds