Plasma C Wiring

More
19 Feb 2020 11:26 - 19 Feb 2020 11:29 #157835 by little_sparky
Hi All,

Not 100% sure if this is where this topic should go but it should be useful for anyone looking to wire their board and running Plasma C.

So I am using a Mesa 7i76e with a Mesa THCAD-10 connected to an everlast 50S plasma.

Attached is the complete wiring diagram to fire the torch, evaluate the Arc OK and control the THC.

I am using two DPDT relays.

I AM FAIRLY CERTAIN THIS DIAGRAM HAS MISTAKES SO I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE TO FIX IT (CHECK BACK AT THE END OF THIS THREAD FOR THE COMPLETED DIAGRAM)

Cheers.

If its not self explanatory, the middle board is the THCAD-10 and the board at the top by itself is the 7i76e
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2020 11:29 by little_sparky.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 11:27 #157836 by little_sparky
Replied by little_sparky on topic Plasma C Wiring
Everlast pin information

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Feb 2020 09:50 #157969 by little_sparky
Does anyone see any mistakes in the wiring diagram?

More
20 Feb 2020 11:36 #157984 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Plasma C Wiring

Does anyone see any mistakes in the wiring diagram?

I had an 80S, I can look at my notes and check the pinouts for voltage. I opted for a THCAD-300 because I read multiple places that the voltage divider in the Everlast machines are junk. The 300v THCAD allowed for raw arc voltage sampling. Take it for what it's worth, I never tried to use the divided voltage. But I do remember the - and + pins in the manual being really confusing.

Also, I don't think the second relay for Arc OK is necessary, it's redundant as most machines use a isolated connecting method of some means. If anything, the second relay just adds latency.

Otherwise, what you have passes the sniff test. Without knowing the specific pins you're using, seems like you have them going to the right areas though.

More
20 Feb 2020 12:48 #157992 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Plasma C Wiring
The Everlast voltage divider is OK but not in the same class as my Thermal Dynamics which has a cleaner signal. The real issue is that there are some minor errors in th docs and the simple resistor network is seen by the THCAD as being part of its own divider network so you need to calibrate for a different voltage (eg 16:1 becomes 24:1). Of course if in doubt you can use raw voltage but you must account for the 2 x 100k resistors on the board as part of your THCAD calibration resistors. (Even my Thermal Dynamics requires this). And yes, I never used a relay for ArcOK but you need to ensure the circuit draws more than the minimum current of the internal Everlast relay contacts via pull down resistor.

More
29 Mar 2020 11:31 #161956 by little_sparky
So with the wiring diagram above, I have run into some trouble with the PlasmaC configurator.

When it asks for the: Arc Voltage HAL pin: (float in), is this referring to the two wires coming out of the THC that go to the ENCA- and ENCA+ pins? if so which one do I specify? or are these not the pins im looking at.

Next for my float switch I have a NO inductive proximity sensor connected to pin input -10, so for this box I just entered "10", was I supposed to enter "input -10".

Then for the Torch On HAL pin: (bit out) I have this connected to digital output 7 so I put "7", again, was I supposed to specify "output -7".

After all this I selcted the right ini and hal files of working configurations but couldnt even get any movement at all, should it be moving at this point?

Any help is appreciated.

More
29 Mar 2020 11:55 - 29 Mar 2020 11:55 #161959 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Plasma C Wiring
Its always best to look in halshow to see the format of the pin names. Should be something like:
hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.input-01
hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.input-01-not
hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.output-02
hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.01.velocity
Last edit: 29 Mar 2020 11:55 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: little_sparky

More
30 Mar 2020 01:56 - 30 Mar 2020 01:56 #162046 by little_sparky
Thank you Rod, I found all the required pins I will try again.

Does anyone have their <mahine name> connections.hal file handy just for reference?
Last edit: 30 Mar 2020 01:56 by little_sparky.

More
30 Mar 2020 01:59 #162047 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Plasma C Wiring
From a sim.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: little_sparky

More
15 Dec 2020 15:46 - 15 Dec 2020 15:48 #192049 by little_sparky
Hi All,

I just purcahsed a Hypertherm Powermax 65. Will this wiring schematic (same way I wired my Everlast 50s) still apply? My main query is surrounding the 1k resistor. Do I need this or can I go without?

Another interesting thing, pins 13 and 14 are connected on the outputs of the cable (that is there is 7 pins on the plug but only 6 wires coming out), where pin 13 is the ground and pin 14 a pin relating to Ark ok. I assume this wire should connect to where I have the 1k resistor (that will also connect to -24V via the resistor and the input on the board), rather than to the +24 volts?

Refer to attachment for some explanation.

NOTE: socket and pins in wiring schematic are from the everlast 50s plasma.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Dec 2020 15:48 by little_sparky.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds