No Z Motion On Probe or Probe Test - DRO Indicates Motion

More
19 Mar 2020 17:32 - 19 Mar 2020 18:14 #160756 by mustbme
Mesa 7i96, Gecko G540 on P1 expansion connector, and THCAD on TB2 encoder0. No other inputs and outputs connected to or configured for 7i96 yet. X, Y, Z, torch relay (G540 Output1), z switch sensor (G540 Input1), and volts via. encoder all working correctly before and after plasmac configuration. Everything works correctly manually from plasmac interface via. buttons (except Probe Test) or keyboard. G0/G1 Z motion works correctly from MDI.

M3 $0 S1 or Probe Test button begins probe sequence, DRO indicates Z motion until soft limit/error, but Z axis doesn't move.

Activating z switch sensor it passes probe height stops the indicated Z motion, or raises correct error if activated too high.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edit: 19 Mar 2020 18:14 by mustbme.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2020 18:11 #160759 by tommylight
During probing, does the machine make high pitched noise ?

More
19 Mar 2020 18:16 #160761 by mustbme
No, I was thinking the same thing and looked at Z step input to G540. Nothing.

More
19 Mar 2020 22:47 #160783 by phillc54
Could you post your .ini and .hal files.

More
20 Mar 2020 01:04 #160814 by mustbme
Attached hal, ini, and pins. Some of the limits and velocities were changed. Second issue arises after probe attempts and(?) on-screen E-Stop - keyboard Up/Down keys will often move (only) the second Y (Joint 2) motor. Limit, Ohmic, E-Stop, and feedhold switches, relays, etc. still attached to ESS/TMC3in1, that Mesa components are replacing, and will latter be moved to 7i96 I/O.

Thank you!
Attachments:

More
20 Mar 2020 01:25 #160820 by phillc54

Attached hal, ini, and pins. Some of the limits and velocities were changed.

The only issue I see after a quick look is that [AXIS_Z]MAX_VELOCITY should be 2, but I don't think this is causing any problems.

Second issue arises after probe attempts and(?) on-screen E-Stop - keyboard Up/Down keys will often move (only) the second Y (Joint 2) motor.

I would suspect maybe a motor power supply or wiring problem, this may cause the first issue as well.

Limit, Ohmic, E-Stop, and feedhold switches, relays, etc. still attached to ESS/TMC3in1, that Mesa components are replacing, and will latter be moved to 7i96 I/O.

I am not sure what you mean here.

More
20 Mar 2020 02:44 - 20 Mar 2020 02:44 #160825 by thefabricator03

During probing, does the machine make high pitched noise ?

What causes the high pitched noised? Is it just a stepper motor thing? My new steppers make a higher pitched noise when z axis is probing.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2020 02:44 by thefabricator03.

More
20 Mar 2020 02:48 #160826 by mustbme
PCW spun firmware that allows painless/temporary swap of IDC<->DB25 cable between 7i96 and existing/working Ethernet SmoothStepper. Only Z sensor and torch relay connected to the G540 on other end of cable so no other I/O accessible after swap.

Table in use daily with Mach3, ESS, TMS3in1 THC, and large/clean linear power supply. Testing 7i96 involves just cable swap (above) and network cable. Tried other PC's with fresh LinuxCNC/Plasmac installs. Tried second known good cable. Tried other known good ethernet cables. Tried with and without THCAD installed and/or configured. Swapped X and Z stepgen's and issues followed Z. Moved Z to stepgen not on P1 with IMS and Gecko drivers connected and issues followed Z. Tried several know good 5V power supplies - isolated or common ground with rest of electronics. Tried two other known good G540 controllers. Works fine with $2 parallel BOB and Mach3 or LinuxCNC. Tests good with another ESS and a USB SmoothStepper.

Working table, so after troubleshooting while 7i96 is installed for 1-2hrs/day for a week I'm certain that I've eliminated all hardware and wiring. Many, many people successfully running LinucCNC without issues and I suspect only that my configuration (probably something really simple) is to blame as this is first Mesa board install or configuration.

Absolutely have to eliminate Mach3 and SmoothStepper nighmare on plasma and 2 router tables...

More
20 Mar 2020 02:54 #160827 by phillc54
Well I do know that LinuxCNC + PlasmaC + 7i96 + G540 does work because that is exactly what I have so we should be able to get you going...

Have you customised any of the .hal or .tcl files that come with PlasmaC.

More
20 Mar 2020 03:48 #160830 by phillc54
Something you could look at.

Run LinuxCNC
Power it up and Home it
Open HalShow
Watch the pins:
axis.L.eoffset-enable Input(bit): enable
axis.L.eoffset-counts Input(s32): input to counts register
axis.L.eoffset Output(float): current external offset
Run a Probe Test
enable should be on permanently
counts and eoffset should begin counting
Trip your probe
counts and eoffset should be stationary
After the timeout counts should be zero and eoffset should be almost zero

Although I suspect because you say the DRO is counting then this will all be correct as well

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds