RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

More
31 Mar 2020 22:08 #162305 by BeagleBrainz
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2020 22:13 #162306 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

You can manually mark them
manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man8/apt-mark.8.html

Thank you!

Any thoughts on the repositories?

More
31 Mar 2020 22:25 - 31 Mar 2020 22:35 #162309 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI
Remember this isn't windows.

But if you want you can keep an eye on the buildbot.

2.9 hasn't been marked as stable.
2.8 is still in discussion regarding a firm release date (hopefully soon).
2.7 is stable.

I haven't attempted to install any packages from the buildbot onto Mint 19.2 so I can't be sure if there is any issues regarding dependency versions.

Everthing kernel & linuxcnc related on the Mint ISOs has been built on Mint 19.2.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2020 22:35 by BeagleBrainz.

More
31 Mar 2020 22:46 #162311 by snowgoer540

Remember this isn't windows.

But if you want you can keep an eye on the buildbot.

2.9 hasn't been marked as stable.
2.8 is still in discussion regarding a firm release date (hopefully soon).
2.7 is stable.

I haven't attempted to install any packages from the buildbot onto Mint 19.2 so I can't be sure if there is any issues regarding dependency versions.

Everthing kernel & linuxcnc related on the Mint ISOs has been built on Mint 19.2.

Definitely no misconceptions about this not being windows here... it's both the greatest and probably the worst thing about linuxcnc (because so many people are stuck on M$ teet).

At any rate, again I was just going by the PlasmaC documentation, and what it asks you to type in to get changes. I am admittedly mostly a n00b, so if not for the method in the user guide (which requires setting a repository), I've no idea how to update plasmac when Phill pushes an update. Hopefully that makes sense?

More
31 Mar 2020 23:12 #162317 by BeagleBrainz
The Mint ISO's can be setup quite easily to pull in everything you need to build Linuxcnc from source. Read the release notes on the forum and the Linuxcnc docs and JT pages regarding building from source.

Everything is there to actually build your own packages or build a Run In Place install. If you can follow instructions you can build linuxcnc.

More
01 Apr 2020 21:31 #162380 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI
I am too lazy to read all the way back to find out what it being discussed here :-)

But you can get preempt-rt updates from the buildbot as a repository
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
(has a web page with instructions)
However _no_ repository is currently building LinuxCNC images for RTAI and 4.xx.xx kernels.

So, if you are running the shiny new RTAI and want the very latest stuff, you will need to roll your own.

It's not that bad. Run-in-place takes about 10 mins.

More
01 Apr 2020 22:21 #162390 by snowgoer540

I am too lazy to read all the way back to find out what it being discussed here :-)

But you can get preempt-rt updates from the buildbot as a repository
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
(has a web page with instructions)
However _no_ repository is currently building LinuxCNC images for RTAI and 4.xx.xx kernels.

So, if you are running the shiny new RTAI and want the very latest stuff, you will need to roll your own.

It's not that bad. Run-in-place takes about 10 mins.

Thanks Andy.

That's exactly what I want to do... That way I can just do the updates like Phill suggests in the PlasmaC user guide (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade).

The problem is I dont know what distro I have, or rather what distro Rob compiled from. As near as I can tell, I have Precise, Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, and Buster to choose from. And I really have no idea how to tell which one I have... ?

More
01 Apr 2020 22:57 #162397 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

That's exactly what I want to do... That way I can just do the updates like Phill suggests in the PlasmaC user guide (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade).

The problem is I dont know what distro I have, or rather what distro Rob compiled from. As near as I can tell, I have Precise, Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, and Buster to choose from. And I really have no idea how to tell which one I have... ?

You would need to follow the Run In Place instructions in sect 19.2 linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...nuxcnc_configuration. In this case the distro doesn't matter.

More
01 Apr 2020 23:56 #162411 by BeagleBrainz
Everything has been compiled on Mint 19.2 which is bionic, which can be found be looking at your apt sources.
When you run apt-get update you can see which repos are being used.

But I'm thinking until I can get the installation issues worked out when booting from UEFI I'm going to disable all links for the ISOs

More
02 Apr 2020 19:59 #162487 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

The problem is I dont know what distro I have

Try this command from the terminal:

cat /etc/os-release

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds