RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

More
02 Apr 2020 21:48 #162498 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

I am too lazy to read all the way back to find out what it being discussed here :-)

But you can get preempt-rt updates from the buildbot as a repository
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
(has a web page with instructions)
However _no_ repository is currently building LinuxCNC images for RTAI and 4.xx.xx kernels.

So, if you are running the shiny new RTAI and want the very latest stuff, you will need to roll your own.

It's not that bad. Run-in-place takes about 10 mins.

Thanks Andy.

That's exactly what I want to do... That way I can just do the updates like Phill suggests in the PlasmaC user guide (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade).

The problem is I dont know what distro I have, or rather what distro Rob compiled from. As near as I can tell, I have Precise, Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, and Buster to choose from. And I really have no idea how to tell which one I have... ?

Did you miss this post, clearly answering your questions
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/38667-rtpreem...rtai?start=20#162309

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2020 23:08 #162615 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI

I am too lazy to read all the way back to find out what it being discussed here :-)

But you can get preempt-rt updates from the buildbot as a repository
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
(has a web page with instructions)
However _no_ repository is currently building LinuxCNC images for RTAI and 4.xx.xx kernels.

So, if you are running the shiny new RTAI and want the very latest stuff, you will need to roll your own.

It's not that bad. Run-in-place takes about 10 mins.

Thanks Andy.

That's exactly what I want to do... That way I can just do the updates like Phill suggests in the PlasmaC user guide (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade).

The problem is I dont know what distro I have, or rather what distro Rob compiled from. As near as I can tell, I have Precise, Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, and Buster to choose from. And I really have no idea how to tell which one I have... ?

Did you miss this post, clearly answering your questions
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/38667-rtpreem...rtai?start=20#162309

I did see it, yes, we just disagree on the clarity. I need to be able to pull the updates when Phill pushes them. In the past, I ran the commands in the user guide from the terminal line, and it pulled them down without issue. I had installed a buildbot installation. Phills suggestion to use the run-in-place instructions was a bust as well, as I dont have a linuxcnc-dev folder. So, I am still unable to understand how I can update, and grab the updates Phil pushes. "Watch the buildbot" doesnt help me, because I know there are updates out there, I just dont understand how to get them.

At the end of the day, I'm not a Linux guru, which is why I used your .iso in the first place, it was plug and play. I greatly appreciate you putting that together for the community (and me by proxy). It works great.

When I was a boy, my dad taught me DOS, which grew into Windows. That's the closest thing I have to relate to Linux. I know it's not Windows, and I am really trying to learn. I suppose if you think hard enough, you can recall a time when you didnt know Linux either. No one is born knowing this stuff.

More
03 Apr 2020 23:21 #162616 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RTPREEMPT vs RTAI
In Robs builds there is a shortcut on the desktop that installs all the build dependencies required by LinuxCNC.
Run that script then follow the run in place build directions here
You will then have a run in place installation.
For future updates:
$ cd ~/linuxcnc-dev/src
$ git pull
$ make
$ sudo make setuid
Then run LinuxCNC as in the above link.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
03 Apr 2020 23:46 #162620 by BeagleBrainz
[RANT]
The respin.txt file, to which there is a shortcut on the desktop, has a link to JT's pages. I'm beginning to think I should remove the extra desktop shortcuts and the script....it just seems to be causing confusion lately. And go back to vanilla builds of Linuxcnc removing the packaging of the local html docs......as no one seems to look further than their nose. Reading the supplied html docs would have given all the info need to rebuild linuxcnc after pulling the deps.

Have people lost their curiosity and expect things on a plate.
[/RANT]

Do not try to install Stretch or Buster packages on Mint, they will not install.

The post I linked to clearly states the build environment I used to build the packages, there is nothing to disagree with on the clarity.

[RANT]
You really need to spend a bit more time reading the documentation, that's how you learn, that's how most of us have learnt when first coming to the project.
[/RANT]
The devs have spent a lot of time on the docs, please do them the courtesy of reading them.

More
03 Apr 2020 23:55 #162622 by snowgoer540

[RANT]
The respin.txt file, to which there is a shortcut on the desktop, has a link to JT's pages. I'm beginning to think I should remove the extra desktop shortcuts and the script....it just seems to be causing confusion lately. And go back to vanilla builds of Linuxcnc removing the packaging of the local html docs......as no one seems to look further than their nose. Reading the supplied html docs would have given all the info need to rebuild linuxcnc after pulling the deps.

Have people lost their curiosity and expect things on a plate.
[/RANT]

Do not try to install Stretch or Buster packages on Mint, they will not install.

The post I linked to clearly states the build environment I used to build the packages, there is nothing to disagree with on the clarity.

[RANT]
You really need to spend a bit more time reading the documentation, that's how you learn, that's how most of us have learnt when first coming to the project.
[/RANT]
The devs have spent a lot of time on the docs, please do them the courtesy of reading them.

I will read the respin.txt tomorrow. In fairness, readme2 may be a better name (haha). :) :) :) :)

No need to rant otherwise, I really am trying to figure it out on my own. What you can't see is the hours I sit at my Plasma PC spinning my wheels. I can wade through python code, and things like that, for the most part, but when it comes to Linux and all the commands, well if it doesn't work the first time, I've no idea what the error messages even mean, or where to turn next.

It wasnt clear to me that Mint is a Distro, on the lines of Buster, Jessie, and all the other crazy names.

More
04 Apr 2020 00:00 #162623 by BeagleBrainz
Mint ISOs are no longer being distributed.

Official & preferred distribution is Debian. The update infrastructure supports this.

More
04 Apr 2020 03:01 #162630 by snowgoer540

In Robs builds there is a shortcut on the desktop that installs all the build dependencies required by LinuxCNC.
Run that script then follow the run in place build directions here
You will then have a run in place installation.
For future updates:
$ cd ~/linuxcnc-dev/src
$ git pull
$ make
$ sudo make setuid
Then run LinuxCNC as in the above link.

THANK YOU PHILL!!! I was able to do this with 100% success. Never would have gotten there otherwise. Thank you for the help. I now know how to upgrade :)

-Greg

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds