How to convert a basic machine with Axis GUI to PlasmaC Gmoccapy GUI

More
20 Apr 2020 23:45 #164900 by CFE
Good morning Phil,

I got the arc voltage input working, thank you. Now I see that I don't have an entry for the ARC OK signal in the hal files. If I try to start a cut, the plasma cutter sends an ARC OK signal to pin 5 on the second parport (that would be parport.1.pin-05-in, the LED on the breakout board lights up). But where to connect this pin to ?

As far as I can tell there was no entry in the PlasmaC configurator for an ARC OK signal, and I don't see it in the hal files. I suppose I need to add another line in the connections hal file, but which PlasmaC hal pin ?

Cheers, Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2020 23:55 #164901 by phillc54
If you have a sepate Arc OK from the plasma cutter then you need to use Mode 1 in the Configurator

You could manually do it by:
editing your ini file and changing the mode to 1
adding to _connections.hal:
net plasmac:arc-ok-in parport.1.pin-05-in  =>  plasmac.arc-ok-in

More
21 Apr 2020 00:07 #164903 by CFE
Thanks Phil, that works, I missed the difference in modes. I think I am getting close to get it to work, it just brings up an error "valid arc lost", I have to work out what that means and how to rectify that.

Cheers, Peter

More
21 Apr 2020 00:11 #164904 by phillc54
Check that the Ark OK LED on the GUI comes on when you have a valid Arc OK from the machine, is it possible that it is inverted?

Make sure you did set MODE = 1 in the [PLASMAC] section of the ini file, you can check that works correctly by looking at the Config Panel and you should NOT have Arc OK Low or Arc OK High.

More
21 Apr 2020 00:40 #164906 by CFE
Hi Phil,

I have tried to invert the parport pin, then the Arc OK light on the GUI is on constantly, so that's not correct. I have set it back to the original. Can have something to do with the voltage scale and/or offset ? I have used the online calculator with the numbers from our THCAD-10 card, but is there something else that I am missing or can change ?

Cheers, Peter

More
21 Apr 2020 00:47 #164907 by phillc54
In Mode 1 the only thing that controls the Arc OK LED is the plasma cutter.

The Voltage Scale and Voltage Offset control the Arc Voltage DRO on the GUI.

I assume this is happening on a test cut? If so do a probe test to make sure your IHS is working correctly. When you hit Probe Test it will probe down then move to the Pierce Height set on the Run Panel. It will wait there a while (default 30sec) to give you time to measure the height. If it is wrong you will will need to adjust Float Travel on the Config Panel.

More
21 Apr 2020 01:18 #164908 by rodw
I think its time to go back to basics here and follow this through.
The expected use is to take field power and connect it to one of the pins on your CPC port on the plasma cutter. The other side is connected to your input pin. IN a parallel port I have no experience but possibly field power is GND for you.

Use halshow and watch the parallel port pin you have connected. what happens?

Are you getting expected behaviour when cutting?

What happens if you bridge the ArcOK pins as a test? Does the pin go true? It should. Get that right before worrying about the GUI/Plasmac side.

More
21 Apr 2020 01:30 #164910 by CFE
Hi gentlemen,

If I am correct, in mode 0 PlasmaC works out an ARC OK and THC from the Arc voltage, so there is really no need to have a separate ARC OK signal from the plasma cutter ? Am i better off to use mode 0 and not worry about the ARC OK signal from the plasma cutter ? As I see it the external ARC OK is just another thing that can go wrong, why use it if PlasmaC is capable of working with just the arc voltage. Or am I missing something here ?

Sorry that I am asking so many questions, PlasmaC has so many variables that it's a bit hard to know what does what.

Cheers, Peter

More
21 Apr 2020 01:48 #164912 by phillc54
Yes, you could use Mode 0 but it is recommended that if the machine outputs an Arc OK that you use it.

If you want to try Mode 0 then start off with the Arc OK High at its maximum and Arc OK Low around 50-60% of your nominal cut voltage. You can fine tune from there if you wish.

More
21 Apr 2020 02:09 #164913 by CFE
Hi all,

We have tried both modes 0 and 1, with no succes. I have used all the instructions from the PlasmaC user guide regarding Voltage Scale and Offset, but in mode 0 the torch pierces and then comes up with an error, and in mode 1 (with the ARC OK from the plasma cutter connected to the parallel port and in HAL, the torch probes, the torch comes on for a split second and then it cuts out.

I am a bit at a loss at what we do wrong here, we have followed all the instructions as good and far as we understand them, but no idea at this stage what is causing problems. ! thing I do notice is that the ARC Voltage on the screen is at 140 when the machine sits idle, so I wonder what is causing that ? If I change the voltage offset then the ARC Voltage reading changes too, do I have to change the voltage offset until the ARC Voltage reads 0V when the machine sits idle ?

Cheers,

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds