Feature update required.

More
14 Jun 2020 06:05 #171562 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Feature update required.
Back in 2008 it was not correctly described in the docs, so it was PCW's issue that flagged it.

Unless the THC in 2.9 adopted feed-upm as the sole pin for the feed rate, there is no point changing anything as nothing is really improved. I don't see how that can break anything, as the plasmac feed pin is still there to use in the shape library and from the materials library. Plus feed-upm will reflect the value regardless of how its set.

Anyway, that is the issue that brought state flags to my attention and I've been studying it and how it could be used for a long time. I started to create a pin like Dewey did but he did it for me before I got a result :)

Anyway, wait until 2.8 is released and we get back to a proper (new code goes in master branch) workflow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2020 07:08 #171570 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature update required.
I may have a solution in a day or so...
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
15 Jun 2020 01:26 #171667 by phillc54
Well after a lot of time spent on this another issue arises with using motion.feed-upm in that it breaks the ability to use F#<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]> with a multipler to change the cut feed rate to disable THC by velocity.

So far I can only see negatives by using this pin and for no gain.

More
15 Jun 2020 02:41 #171673 by rodw
Are you saying
F[<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]>*0.6] won't work?
What about adaptive feed? is it broken too?

I've had some luck with dealing with state tags so will keep at it.
I'm not sure the decision by Dewey to publish it with feed overrides was a good thing as it does break compatibility with existing code as you have found out.

I think also it needs a motion.feed-ups (units per second) so it is compatible with current-vel et.al. That would let you plot current-vel and feed-ups in equivalent units in halscope without having to use mult2 to compare.

What I think I will do is publish all the raw state tags data on another set of pins eg. like motion.tag.feed-rate and motion.tag.mode so all the data is accessible.

I think the negatives are coming from the fact that you had a number of workarounds built into plasmac due to lack of features in LCNC. If these features were available when you started, you may have gone about things differently.....

You wait until I've finished, I'll really make your day with a lot more negatives! :woohoo:

More
15 Jun 2020 23:14 #171785 by phillc54

Are you saying
F[<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]>*0.6] won't work?

Yes, because motion.feed-upm reports the actual value passed from GCode which is <_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]>*0.6 whereas VAD requires just <_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]> to function correctly.

What about adaptive feed? is it broken too?

I wouldn't imagine so.

More
15 Jun 2020 23:46 #171794 by rodw
How does your sheetcam post processor do it? I always used the adaptive feed.
I wonder if the difference really matters? If somebody had overridden the feed rate, I can see there is an argument that that should be the new cutting feed rate.

Leave it for a few days and I may have some updates if somebody will accept a PR but I discussed what I'm doing with Andy last night. I need to test the arc radius is working correctly after what I did last night. I need to test it against code I know the dimensions of.

More
16 Jun 2020 02:08 #171809 by phillc54

How does your sheetcam post processor do it?

The PP doesn't, that is left to cut rules. The rules/snippets I posted with the PP use adaptive feed.

If somebody had overridden the feed rate, I can see there is an argument that that should be the new cutting feed rate

I guess there can be two takes on that, one is that you mutliply the feed rate by the override and make that the new feed rate which is what PlasmaC does and I belive the motion.feed-upm pin the other would be that the user wanted to slow it down to activate VAD.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds