(Solved) PlasmaC new config Z going up when probing

More
18 Aug 2020 23:54 #178649 by snowgoer540

I think the linuxcnc log is restarted each time you run it, they are in your home directory.

If you want to use the Voltage from the material file you need to ensure:
1. The voltage on the material file is correct for that cut height.
2. The voltage that PlasmaC displays is correct.

You do need to do a lot of test cutting to ensure your settings are correct. Most folk go with Auto Volts.

Nothing there is older than Aug9. I run from terminal all the time now, so maybe it's gone.

Yea, it seems easier to just let it base it off the actual cut. Seems like that would eliminate a ton of variables. Who has time to ensure my table has the exact same conditions Hypertherm did when they did their testing and came up with those voltages. I'll try autovolts for awhile and see how it goes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2020 23:57 #178650 by phillc54

Yea, it seems easier to just let it base it off the actual cut. Seems like that would eliminate a ton of variables. Who has time to ensure my table has the exact same conditions Hypertherm did when they did their testing and came up with those voltages. I'll try autovolts for awhile and see how it goes.

Also by using auto volts you don't need to compensate for electrode wear.

Now you are sorted you can learn Halscope. :)

More
19 Aug 2020 00:17 #178654 by snowgoer540

Halscope... *shutters*. Any advice on getting going there?

More
19 Aug 2020 01:03 #178656 by phillc54

Have you seen linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/hal/tutorial....ec:tutorial-halscope

More
19 Aug 2020 01:11 #178657 by snowgoer540

Have you seen linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/hal/tutorial....ec:tutorial-halscope

Yea, I will vow to reread it though with a clear mind and try to follow their example.

If I’m being completely honest, I find the linuxcnc docs to be written by someone who knows how to use it, for someone who knows mostly how to use it. Sometimes I feel it doesn’t capture the “tribal knowledge” that is inherent in linuxcnc. As I’ve mentioned before, that’s the hardest stuff to get a grasp on when coming in new.

Not to be taken as complaining, just calling like I see it lol

More
19 Aug 2020 01:15 #178658 by phillc54

If I’m being completely honest, I find the linuxcnc docs to be written by someone who knows how to use it, for someone who knows mostly how to use it. Sometimes I feel it doesn’t capture the “tribal knowledge” that is inherent in linuxcnc. As I’ve mentioned before, that’s the hardest stuff to get a grasp on when coming in new.

Not to be taken as complaining, just calling like I see it lol

You are probably correct. I guess most of the docs are written by the person that wrote the code. I find that writing docs is much more difficult than writing code and it is difficult to look at it from someone elses perspective.

Speaking of which I need to do some docs for cut recovery. Have you done anything much with that feature yet.

More
19 Aug 2020 01:38 - 19 Aug 2020 01:38 #178661 by snowgoer540

Speaking of which I need to do some docs for cut recovery. Have you done anything much with that feature yet.

I wouldn’t mind helping/proof reading. I like that kind of stuff and I got used to Creating work instructions at work from the perspective of someone who has never seen a process, computer program, etc before. So if you want a hand, let me know. If you prefer to keep the proofreading off here to not much up the docs, feel free to email me, I think you can grab my email as an admin.

:blush: admittedly I got side tracked with testing g code arc ok ignore and tuning my THC. I’ve not done any live torch testing yet, that said, from what I see from the torch off testing I’ve done, I see no reason why it shouldnt work awesome. But no one likes to victory-fail haha...

Since my float switch is so sensitive, I had an idea tonight about how to invoke cut failures (pull up on the torch). The next few nights are busy here, but I have the day to myself Saturday, I’ll put it at the top of the list for plasma cutting.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 01:38 by snowgoer540.

More
19 Aug 2020 01:43 #178663 by phillc54

I wouldn’t mind helping/proof reading. I like that kind of stuff and I got used to Creating work instructions at work from the perspective of someone who has never seen a process, computer program, etc before. So if you want a hand, let me know. If you prefer to keep the proofreading off here to not much up the docs, feel free to email me, I think you can grab my email as an admin.

Well the entire Plasmac User Guide has not been proof read, I just add to it when necessary and then fix bits if someone points them out or if I notice a blunder when I am adding stuff. So if you have nothing to do on a rainy day (like it is here today) then go for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds